Author Topic: Prev Topic: "Homemade Survival Bible"  (Read 12106 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Prev Topic: "Homemade Survival Bible"
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »
Was digging around looking for some additional ideas, thoughts, etc about documentation and found a thread on the Homemade Survival Bible (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2188.0 ), and wanted to see what was going with that project. 

I have been searching around for a way to collect, store, and organize information taking from a number of sources.  This include things similar to the Vial of life (see also thread: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=9716.0 )

other threads include:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7923.0    making a binder for when systems go down
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2577.0    Need help with Evac plans

I have been collecting and printing information, but don't want to take the shotgun approach, but more of a organized approach.

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
Re: Prev Topic: "Homemade Survival Bible"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »
My suggestion, combining your needs with the previous thread on the homemade survival bible, would be to consider an online collaboration through a free groupware project.  Using one of the free online services you could make the entire document available to anyone to print, but limit its editors to who you invite.  Post what you have, then you can assign individual topics to different volunteers, let them rough out a chapter, or section, followed by community editing.  This type of approach would allow a few select individuals to oversee the project, but still allow anyone to participate.  Groupware software.

This type of approach would also allow for a larger knowledge base and a more comprehensive approach, as opposed to limiting the scope of the text to the viewpoints of one or two people. 

There is Microsoft Office Live, but that requires everyone to own MS Office.  I believe that Google docs can handle this but I am not positive.  There are probably some others as well.

Just my two cents.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 08:39:04 PM »
I'm not totally sure about Google Docs, but am willing to give it a twrill.  While there is / will be a good debate on how to go about it,..  having team leads, who wants to be on what team, can someone be on more then one team,.. structure and what not,..  I think it's best to keep it as straight forward and simple as possible, while getting the final outcome that everyone wants and agrees with...

I looked around a bit for a online collaberation site but didn't have the luck I would have thought...  I would have thought that there would be one,.. like wordpress or blogspot..  but I did not one that would work like Google Docs.  Maybe I didn't pipe in the right search phrase. 

Google Docs does include a online chat option,.. so it might be possible for the group to chat 'real time' regarding a matter.  I know of someone who has put some time into Google Docs,.. I'll PM them and see if we can get a comment...

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:01:22 PM »
Silly me , ...  I may have had the answer all along...  HTML / CMS website

I moved from HTML a few years ago to CMS - Content Managed Software for web pages.  The CMS software I am using is called Joomla, an open source website building software.  Which has a large number of add on 'programs' and such...  It is something that can run standalong not needed a full server.  So it will run from a thumb drive.

I'll spend a bit of time over the next few weeks to see what I can build,..

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:27:04 PM »
That is an interesting idea...  I'd be interested in how it works out.

lerx

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
My prep binder came about from documenting my scanner and SW radio (QSL log).

I started out adding the instruction manuals for my gear. I just kept adding things like emergency phone numbers, then topo maps and so on. I add and remove things all of the time now. I keep the binder in my daily carry backpack.

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:19:10 PM »
lerx, has it gotten pretty big?  I have considered something similar but always seem to get carried away with packing the info in.  I end up with a 20 lb. 3 inch thick folder.   :)

lerx

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »
Ian
No, it's rather small. (No guy wants to say that!) I have several survival related books so I only put in my binder what isn't in the books.

The binder is just 1". Most of its thickness comes from the clear plastic sleeves (turned up-side-down) to protect the papers.

Offline irish

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
lerx

I liked this - "Interrogative Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"

Took me a minute to think about it. But Cool.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:55:31 PM »
When you said "survival bible" I thought of a 4 gigabite (and growing) file on mu hard drive, and backe up on multiple digital and potical mediums.
Called the TSHTF giftbasket. Later softened to "Back to Basics Giftbasket"
It's well organized, but I only know how to find things because I'm the one who made it.

If I understand you correctly, you're talking about a documentation binder. With everything from copies of deeds, wills, insurance, disaster plans, Manifest of preps, Rotation schedule, contact info, copies of 4473 forms for guns you're willing to admit to, etc

I think a separate box with all the users manuals for all your stuff is a great idea.
Every time I have to reset my watch I gotta go look up the manual on cassio's site, or dig through my archives to find where the heck I saved it to the last time I looked it up.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »
Working with GoogleDocs, I've found a 'flaw / failure point',...  Some of the features I've put into my inventory sheet were removed on upload,.. like the drop down list.  But here is Part 1 of my HSB (Homemade Survival Bible)

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bx-hvHj32w7VNTQzNWI3MDYtYTcwYi00MGVjLWEyMjYtMzkyYThkYzNmZWJi&hl=en