Author Topic: Sling for an AR  (Read 8231 times)

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
Sling for an AR
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »
Hate to turn this into a "show me yours" link, but Im searching for ideas for a sling for my Bushy and RRA. 
Anyone out there recommend a specific sling and why they like it.  (Photos would be appreciated too !)

Personally Im thinking about a singlepoint but want to hear the views of all

thanks for your input

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: Sling for an AR
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:44:45 AM »
I will try to post a pic later for you.  I just have a standard 1-1/4" web sling on my newest rifle build.  But, my M4-gery recently began sporting a single point.  I find that the single point is a solid way to retain and sling the carbine.  The rifle, on the otherhand, has a slightly different usage, so a standard shoulder sling fits its uses just fine. 

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:27:56 AM »
Do you have an A2 (with standard front site and non-collapsible stock) or an M4?

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
Sorry, forgot to include that info. 
Their both M4 carbines with 16" barrels.  In CT we cant have a collapsable stock, so their both pinned fully extended.  >:( but at least we get the full 30 rd mags!  ;D

My DPMS is a rfle, with a 24" HBar and bipod.  That one Im planning on just using a rifle sling.

Offline SymteX

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:33:03 PM »
I am a huge fan of the VTAC sling. I have them on most of my AR guns.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html#

Offline earthling?

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:05:51 PM »
I have found that single point slings are bad if you have to release the rifle and draw a sidearm and then move quickly or run. The buttstock tends to bounce up towards your face and the muzzle swings willy nilly. I used to use a Spec-Ops Mambo 3-point but really didn't like it much. I found an EagleIndusties 3-point that is a great design and at $30, a hard price to beat. Here it is:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/popup_image.php?type=D&id=532&title=Tactical%20Sling%20%28M4%2C%20CAR15%2FCSG%29&area=C

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:25:39 PM »
We make both the 3 point and the single point slings. We have a two point bungee about to come out also. We filled marine corp purchase orders for 3 point to the tune of over 10,000 about 5 years ago. I don't think we have made a single one in over 3 years at least. We sell the single point bungee slings by the hundreds though.

Firetoad--I cant imagine that a quality manufacture is using bungee that is loosing its elasticity. I would bet its a company selling imported gear. We use shock cord and its a piece that's 24" long and doubled over. Its sewn into place and we have never seen one that lost its stretch and return.

Earthling?---Most guys run their head and arm through the loop. Sling it to your off hand so when you drop it to transition to your side arm it fall to the opposite side as you pistol is on. I see dozens of guys shooting and moving with single points on at the Tac Response classes with no problems at all. I would say that 95% of the guys I see run a single point.

John Willis
www.SOEtacticalgear.com

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:24:16 PM »
I am a huge fan of the VTAC sling. I have them on most of my AR guns.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html#

It is very hard to read your posts with that avitar flashing on the side.

kaiservontexas

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:28:39 PM »
I like the standard web sling. I have never tried any other type to be honest; so, take what I typed for what it is worth.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:07:34 AM »
I like the looks of the Vtac two point sling, but I haven't used that particular brand.  I do like a two point sling in general though & right now I'm using the cheap web sling that came with my wife's Bushmaster.

Offline SymteX

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »
I like how quickly you can adjust the VTAC on the fly for transitions. It is a very versatile sling IMHO.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 04:10:29 PM »
Firetoad--I cant imagine that a quality manufacture is using bungee that is loosing its elasticity. I would bet its a company selling imported gear. We use shock cord and its a piece that's 24" long and doubled over. Its sewn into place and we have never seen one that lost its stretch and return.

John,

Thanks for the first hand/mfg's knowledge.  As I made sure to say in my post, I have only read this and never experienced it.  I have read "internet" reports regarding the overstretching on some well known names (doesn't translate to quality though!!!!).  Unfortunately, I cannot remember the mfg's names off hand.  I will try to track them down though.  Thanks again for the first hand knowledge.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »
We make both the 3 point and the single point slings. We have a two point bungee about to come out also. We filled marine corp purchase orders for 3 point to the tune of over 10,000 about 5 years ago. I don't think we have made a single one in over 3 years at least. We sell the single point bungee slings by the hundreds though.

Earthling?---Most guys run their head and arm through the loop. Sling it to your off hand so when you drop it to transition to your side arm it fall to the opposite side as you pistol is on. I see dozens of guys shooting and moving with single points on at the Tac Response classes with no problems at all. I would say that 95% of the guys I see run a single point.

John Willis
www.SOEtacticalgear.com
Great site John.

I'm a gear junkie so you can probably expect an order soon. ;D

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »
If you place an order make sure you mention "survival poadcast forum. They will make sure to hand it over to me.

John Willis
www.SOetacticalgear.com

Offline sardog

• Prepper
  • All bark, no bite
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 06:30:24 PM »
I have found that single point slings are bad if you have to release the rifle and draw a sidearm and then move quickly or run. The buttstock tends to bounce up towards your face and the muzzle swings willy nilly. I used to use a Spec-Ops Mambo 3-point but really didn't like it much. I found an EagleIndusties 3-point that is a great design and at $30, a hard price to beat. Here it is:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/popup_image.php?type=D&id=532&title=Tactical%20Sling%20%28M4%2C%20CAR15%2FCSG%29&area=C

If you can get into the habit of giving the rifle a little swing to the right (assuming you are right handed) as you release it. It will tend to stay out of the way long enough to draw your hand gun. Practice, practice, practice.
I like a well padded single point.

Offline earthling?

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »

If you can get into the habit of giving the rifle a little swing to the right (assuming you are right handed) as you release it. It will tend to stay out of the way long enough to draw your hand gun. Practice, practice, practice.
I like a well padded single point.

I see where that will work. My minimal experience with a single point, however, was in Iraq wearing body armor with M16 mag pouches attached to the front. It was just too hard to get out of the way in a hurry so I went to a 3 point. This Eagle 3 point I have now has a quick disconnect on the front that allows the rifle to fall completely to your side parallel to your left leg, facilitating an easy right-handed sidearm draw.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:46:52 PM by earthling? »

Offline sardog

• Prepper
  • All bark, no bite
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »
May have to give that a try.  ;)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 12:30:20 PM »
Carried an A2 EVERYDAY for 6 years with standard military sling (USAF SP), and well...  there is better.  I've got a single point non-stretchy on my Colt M4 that I picked up at a gunshow (no manufacturer tag) mounted on a tube sling mount and it does everything and more than I need.  My Olympic M4 has a 3 point non-stretchy and I can say I prefer the single point.  We used to "convert" our A2 military slings into sort of a single point rig by unslinging the barrel end and clipping the sling into a loop with Acco Binder Clips so they were easier to maneuver around with.  It was a lot of hassle, but worth it.  I'll post some pics later.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!

millerized1

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 12:55:24 PM »
For Desert Storm, my A2 had a bunch of 1.25" webbing and a coupla Fastex buckles. One hand snapped the buckle and pulled it down over the shoulder, usually right into where it needed to be.  Before we got out into the sand, I kept the regular sling on it. Needing to crawl in and around the camo nets didn't work well with the barrel straight up in the air, so the modified one worked well in keeping me untangled.

My 3 M-Forgeries have single points on them, unsure of manufacturer. The NM has a Turner Saddlery National Match All Weather Military Shooting Sling, and the 2 heavies have bipods, the Chevrolet Tracker and a sturdy bench :D

Offline jpr9954

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:51:16 PM »
Here are instructions on AR15.com on how to make your own for about $10.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=252462

One day when I'm not so busy or lazy, I may just do it! ;D