Author Topic: Are there any "Hams" in Region Three?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline NC Rifleman

• Prepper
  • General Class in Ham Radio
Are there any "Hams" in Region Three?
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »
Particularity in North Carolina?  I am a licensed General Class holder and am looking for others semi close and close by to test out communications setups with.  Or if there is anyone who seriously would like to get into Ham Radio and lives in NC I would like to help you out. I have a few books and gear someone could barrow/have.

Offline Tennessee Mountaineer

• Prepper
Re: Are there any "Hams" in Region Three?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:56:35 AM »
Hi, I am a recently liicensed Technician KI6SBZ. Got my ticket in San Diego and moved to East TN near the Smoky Mts. I am using an HT ight now but plan to get my general ticket and get on HF soon. 73's!

amtank

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:15:08 PM »
Wassup....but I am sans radio right now.

Offline NC Rifleman

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 12:17:34 PM »
Hi, I am a recently liicensed Technician KI6SBZ. Got my ticket in San Diego and moved to East TN near the Smoky Mts. I am using an HT ight now but plan to get my general ticket and get on HF soon. 73's!

Good to hear.  A great band to get into is 6 meters.  With both of us using a decent beam we could talk to each other via simplex. 6 meters is such a fun band to be on.  Try and save your dolars and get a decient "HF" Radio.  The one I got was the Yeasu Ft-857 http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=320 and thats the place I got it from.  You will also need a power supply to go with it.  http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=812 Thats the one I got and it worked great.  However its now on the shelf since I run my radio gear from a solar panel.

SueDonim

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 12:57:54 PM »
No ham radio, but I am a huge fan of ham in general.  Or pork chops for that matter.  If you have any to loan out, let me know.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 08:29:24 AM »
I am an Extra Class ham.
I have been licensed since 1979.
Do 90% of my operating on CW.

Don't live near you though, sorry.

Offline NC Rifleman

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 11:35:09 AM »
I am an Extra Class ham.
I have been licensed since 1979.
Do 90% of my operating on CW.

Don't live near you though, sorry.

Are you in Region Three?... What state?

tash

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:53:59 PM »
KG4RWD -  North Alabama

'73

Offline jpr9954

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
I am taking my Technician exam this coming Saturday and live in western NC.

Offline NC Rifleman

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 07:09:22 PM »

Sweet, let me know how your test goes.

Offline jpr9954

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »

Sweet, let me know how your test goes.

Passed. 100% correct. They said I should see my call sign listed early next week.

They also let me take the General exam for no cost. I didn't do well. :-\ I think I got 19 wrong out of 35. Time to get a radio and then take the General exam after some solid study.

john

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
OK guys i have a few questions what does it cost to do all of this books, test and license. also, i heard on the first one all you could do was moris code comms. is that true or not. been thinking about getting into for some time just i dint know where to start.i have been into CB for over 15 years now, and thinking i need to upgrade now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:48:39 PM by wcff3431 »

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »
If you go to http://www.eham.net/exams/ take the practice test on line for free. Keep taking the test until you get 80% or better, the more you take the practice tests the better. Then once you are able to keep passing the practice test, find a club near you that gives the test. It costs $14, the test is 35 questions and you can miss up to 9 and still pass. The license is good for ten years and you can renew it for free. There is NO Morse code tests anymore so you don't have to worry about that. Good luck

Offline jpr9954

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 08:52:16 PM »
OK guys i have a few questions what does it cost to do all of this books, test and license. also, i heard on the first one all you could do was moris code comms. is that true or not. been thinking about getting into for some time just i dint know where to start.i have been into CB for over 15 years now, and thinking i need to upgrade now.

I bought a couple of books but mainly just studied the Gordon West - "Technician Class 2006-2010" book. I would work through the book and then take the practice exams on www.qrz.com. When taking the practice exams, if I got a question wrong, I'd go back and keep guessing until I found the correct answer. Taking the practice tests is excellent practice. I think it took me all of 5-10 minutes to take the final exam and I even went back and checked my answers.

I'd be happy to pass this book onwards to anyone who'd like to use it to prep for the exam. The only thing I'd ask in exchange is the promise that when you pass the exam, you pass it on as well. If interestered, just PM me.

John

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 09:01:58 PM »
ok guys how would i go about find a ham club. or where i could take the test. i live in a small town west of winston. and, also jpr9954 i would be glad to pass the book on if i could get it from you. pm me later i will give you my address. and thanks guys for the help.

Offline NC Rifleman

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 09:31:40 AM »
The ARRL Exam Session Search would be the best way to find a testing date closet to you.

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
Extra class South of Hickory/Morganton area in Western NC...

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »
Advanced class, Triangle area of NC.  All mobiles capable of VHF/UHF/APRS, and B.O.V capable of VHF/UHF/APRS/HF, FRS and CB.  Home station VHF/UHF/HF/APRS capable.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
Update: now Extra Class, central Alabama.  I run the Sunday night (8pm Central) 2-meter net on the 146.84 repeater in Montgomery, if y'all are ever through this neck of the woods.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »
  The FREE,on line,test training is great and GOOGLE search engine will tell you of Hams located in an area code,city,or state and will also show Ham clubs with the search data also though not 100% as far as club search.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 07:10:41 AM »
Update: now Extra Class, central Alabama.  I run the Sunday night (8pm Central) 2-meter net on the 146.84 repeater in Montgomery, if y'all are ever through this neck of the woods.
Congrats!