Author Topic: You know you need to inventory you preps when....  (Read 5389 times)

millerized1

You know you need to inventory you preps when....
« on: October 27, 2008, 06:56:15 PM »
You find a large box of stuff you barely remember buying, and totally forgot you had ???. I was cleaning up the gun/reloading room all day yesterday, and finally saw a box behind the door tonight.   :-\

Guess I need to shut the door more often?  Anyway, I pulled it out tonight and opened it.  Shazaaaam!  Filled to the rim with Backpackers Pantry and other manufacturers camping meals.
Now I remember buying it online at a pretty nice discount (like 90% or so) about 3 years ago, but guess I'd forgotten it. Expiration dates are more than 30months out, so I'm not doing my "hey....look...MRE's...oh, expired in 1492, nevermind" dance I usually end up with.  Just don't know how I forgot these. Half a dozen each of Italian Beef Pasta, Louisiana Red Beans and Rice, Black Bean Tamale Pie and more, along with desserts, veggies and snacks.  Guess I'll go repack the BOB's with food instead of "other stuff". Hmmm....might even have the Tamale pie for lunch tomorrow...sounds tasty!

Oh, and add these to the inventory sheet ;) Right after one of those Ice Cream Sammiches ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: You know you need to inventory you preps when....
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:45:22 PM »
I knew I lost a box somewhere...

That's kind of like finding a 20 in your coat pocket left over from last year. ;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »
Wow! Thats a nice 'find'!!!

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:30:30 PM »
Wow! Thats a nice 'find'!!!

That would be your 300th post Archer.  Congrats on your Mentor status!

Offline DrGonzo

• Survivor
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:45:37 PM »
Millerized, did you custom make your inventory spreadsheet, or did you build it from an existing template?  I've been looking for a good one with limited success.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:17:46 AM »
Millerized, did you custom make your inventory spreadsheet, or did you build it from an existing template?  I've been looking for a good one with limited success.

...& how about throwing up a link so we can take a look at it. ;D

Lucretius

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:11:50 AM »
 ;D

I found a complete BoB that I'd abandoned in a closet a couple of years ago. I remembered the ruck, and took it out to check it out for potential use during a coming camping trip. Then I was like "Wow, this is heavy!  :o"

Turns out, it was an early generation BoB (like v1.3) that I'd abandoned to start from scratch with another bag. And then managed to forget about.  :-[

millerized1

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 05:46:27 AM »

That's kind of like finding a 20 in your coat pocket left over from last year. ;)
You're not married, are you ;) ;D ;D ;D

...& how about throwing up a link so we can take a look at it. 
and

Actually, mine is nothing more than putting stuff into an Excel file.  Just a running total/tally.

Here's a start, tho, shamlessly taken from RangerMan over at the SHTFBlog : http://www.shtfblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/blankinv.xls Not sure if it'll open in anything other than Excel, but you can try it.  If it doesn't, best I can say is maybe do it the old fashioned way, like our parents used to keep track of finances:Pen and Paper or Ledger Book! (hopefully better than mine ;))
 Thanks RangerMan! ;)

Another taken from a similar thread: http://www.trackmyfoodstorage.com/ Not sure how I feel about putting my personal food storage information out where someone can confiscate it, but it's available.....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:07:02 AM by millerized1 »

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 06:38:17 AM »
Inventory of you preps is extremely important, but it is neat when you find stuff you didn't know you had.
I've done that with all kinds of gear. I found a army field bag that I forgot I had about a week ago. It makes a great magazine dump pouch. Saves me from having to buy one.  ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »

You're not married, are you ;) ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, I am.  No I never find lost money anymore, I only lose money.  I do remember a time when I would occassionally find the odd lost bill though. ;D

millerized1

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 05:47:36 AM »
I do remember a time when I would occassionally find the odd lost bill though. ;D
As do we all, my friend....as do we all  :)