Author Topic: Does anyone have a Crosman?  (Read 25826 times)

Juggernaut

Does anyone have a Crosman?
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »
I've been doing a lot of research on getting a new air gun to use for target practice, and possibly hunting.  The crosman Quest, .22, looks really good, but i was wondering about the quality of Crosman guns. has anyone had business with them? thanks for your input.

http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-quest-22.html

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Does anyone have a Crosman?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:56:41 AM »
I had a Crossman 760 years ago. I am sure it's still at my father's house somewhere. Never had a problem with it.
It with stood a lot of abuse and was pretty damn accurate for an inexpensive pellet gun.
I had a friend that had the Crossman .177 pistol and he never had a problem that I was aware of.
We both shot a lot with them.

Hope this helps.

Juggernaut

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:08:18 AM »
thanks for your comment CountryBoy! I really want a nice pellet gun, but can't decide between the Benjamin or Crosman.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 11:27:38 AM »
BTW
I am not 760 years old. I reread my post and it sounds like I had a Crossman Seven Hundred and sixty years ago.
I don't think they made them back then.

Anyway,
I have owned many Benjamin-Sheridan paint ball guns,still have most of them. I was a GM of a field and store and did a bunch of tech work
and to this day I think they were one of the best paintball guns, or Markers as the people trying to cow tow to the anti gun contingent call them, made. Accurate, well made and dependable. I don't recall ever using or working on any of their pellet or bb guns.
It's like I always told my paintball customers, don't get what someone else tells you you needs, get what feels right to you.

See if you can handle the guns you are thinking of getting and see what feels right.

Or just get one of each.

Juggernaut

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
BTW
I am not 760 years old. I reread my post and it sounds like I had a Crossman Seven Hundred and sixty years ago.
I don't think they made them back then.

Anyway,
I have owned many Benjamin-Sheridan paint ball guns,still have most of them. I was a GM of a field and store and did a bunch of tech work
and to this day I think they were one of the best paintball guns, or Markers as the people trying to cow tow to the anti gun contingent call them, made. Accurate, well made and dependable. I don't recall ever using or working on any of their pellet or bb guns.
It's like I always told my paintball customers, don't get what someone else tells you you needs, get what feels right to you.

See if you can handle the guns you are thinking of getting and see what feels right.

The first time I read that, i was like wha?! but then, I got it :)  I've shot my friends break-barrel .177. The kick is DEFINITELY different than a pump gun, its like a jerking motion, and it takes some getting used to. 

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 06:13:37 PM »
Crossman has been around for what seems like 760 years!  They have stuff that runs the gamut of quality and effectiveness.  As a teenager, I put one of their Model 870 BB/Pellet guns through more abuse than I did my USGOV Issue M16!  It was a champ.

I have one now that I've had for a few years.  I throw it around like it's a stick and have killed eight (8) squirrels with it in the last two (2) months.  Anchored seven (7) of 'em with it!  The last crawled 10'.

Anyway, keep in mind that they make a variety for every price-point and that, with Crossman, you will definitely get what you pay for.

Offline kimrpeterson

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
Crosman owns both Benjamin and Sheridan, so the quality of the new guns produced will be similar.  In the 50s and 60s the Crosman and Benjamin were both blued steel and hard wood stocks.  In the 70s Crosman started building several plastic guns that had a lot of features, but most of them were still....plastic.  The Crosman CR22XX series of pistol is extremely popular among tuners because it's modular and easy to modify.  Now Crosman sells the Benjamin Discovery and Benjamin Maurader, which are entry level PCPs.  They are much more powerful than any previous Crosman, Benjamin or Sheridan, and offer many of the features previously only found on high end Europeon or the less expense Korean PCPs.  For more info on airguns, you can go to yellowforum.com. 

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 06:31:17 PM »
thanks for your comment CountryBoy! I really want a nice pellet gun, but can't decide between the Benjamin or Crosman.

Hi Juggernaut!  I have shot a lot of Crossman air rifles and air pistols, and it may have just been the price point we were buying at, but they were all pretty much toys and my boys would have them broke in about a month.  I own a Benjamin Silver Streak in .177 and trust me, it is not a toy.  Quality that you'll be able to pass down to your grandkids!  I simply can not say enough good about the Benjamins.

http://www.airgundepot.com/c9.html

Tim.

Offline The Infidel

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »
You should check into a 2300s , amazingly accurate. You can purchase a removable buttstock for hunting small game if desired.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »
You should check into a 2300s , amazingly accurate. You can purchase a removable buttstock for hunting small game if desired.

How do they stack up as far as reliability goes?  Field repairable? 

Tim.

AC

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
Put "maker model xxx" into Google and you should find some user group discussion of any given air gun that has any kind of a following. If it doesn't have a following it's probably not worth messing with.

These days, a gun labeled "Crosman" or "Daisy" or "Beeman" can be a chinese made Norinco in actuality, a Spanish-made Gamo, a German RWS, maybe Slobbovian FEG, who knows? It could even be made in one of the few factories in the US not outsourced (yet).

So it's good to look at the actual gun and see what you are getting. See what its users think and what they suggest for upgrades or mods or replacement parts.

And remember Crosman Pellgunoil is your friend!

Offline koyote

• Survivor
    • Koyote Custom Knives
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 11:35:22 PM »
I have a crosman quest in .177 and it's a fine airgun for the type and budget. For long term self maintenance, I'd go with a customized pumper based on the 1377 with a long barrel and other mods (see another post I made)

For a break barrel air rifle at this time, I'd suggest the least expensive "nitro" or gas ram model available from crosman/benji.

Offline arrowbreaker

• Survivor
  • MSB & TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 04:28:44 AM »
I had the Crosman Model 66 Powermaster and the Crosman American Classic target pistol (both .177) and loved them! I got them in Texas and had them for about 4.5 years while living the life of a teenage oilfield brat in Venezuela.  I wish I could have brought them back home with me to Australia - but such things are highly verboten here unless you have a farm and a valid reason or belong to a shooting club that can lock it up when you aren't there (expensive!)
Even airsoft is illegal in Australia - sucks big time!

Offline bisonhawk1

• Prepper
    • bisonhawk1@youtube.com
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 06:06:56 PM »
I've been doing a lot of research on getting a new air gun to use for target practice, and possibly hunting.  The crosman Quest, .22, looks really good, but i was wondering about the quality of Crosman guns. has anyone had business with them? thanks for your input.

http://www.airgundepot.com/crosman-quest-22.html
well what i can tell you is that benjamin, which is some of the best pellet guns out there, is made by crossman. ive only had my benjamin regal np for about a month but id say im pretty pleased with it. i have used it to feed myself on a couple of occasions.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
well what i can tell you is that benjamin, which is some of the best pellet guns out there, is made by crossman. ive only had my benjamin regal np for about a month but id say im pretty pleased with it. i have used it to feed myself on a couple of occasions.

I'll second the Benjamin endorsement.  I've been very impressed with my Marauder, it's not cheap, but is a remarkable value, in my opinion.

Offline bisonhawk1

• Prepper
    • bisonhawk1@youtube.com
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »
I'll second the Benjamin endorsement.  I've been very impressed with my Marauder, it's not cheap, but is a remarkable value, in my opinion.
id say the only thing i dont like about the regal np is that the scope seems to need to be adjusted every couple of weeks or so. be it my first air rifle i wouldent know if that was normal though. and this model has no iron sights. other than that its a hard hitting straight sooting rifle

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 01:49:22 PM »
I've got a 1377 that I've converted to .22 (before they re-released the 1322) and put a stock on it. I take squirells and chipmunks all the time.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
Hi Juggernaut!  I have shot a lot of Crossman air rifles and air pistols, and it may have just been the price point we were buying at, but they were all pretty much toys and my boys would have them broke in about a month.  I own a Benjamin Silver Streak in .177 and trust me, it is not a toy.  Quality that you'll be able to pass down to your grandkids!  I simply can not say enough good about the Benjamins.

http://www.airgundepot.com/c9.html

Tim.

Sad to report my Benjamin has been STOLEN, along with 2 AR-15's, 3 shotguns, and a few personal items.  Make sure you write your Serial Numbers down and store the info in a safe place.  The Police have recovered two of the shotguns, but since they were given to me by my Grandfather years ago, I have no "Bill-Of-Sale" and of course I can't find the serial numbers.  They will NOT release the guns to me until I can "prove" my ownership.  Sucks huh?

Tim.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 06:24:47 PM »
Indeed, that does suck!  Maybe I should put the Benjamins in the safe with the powder burners.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 07:30:31 PM »
Indeed, that does suck!  Maybe I should put the Benjamins in the safe with the powder burners.

My Benjamin was not "with" the other guns that were stolen, so they saw it, and tought it looked like a "taker".  So I would say, yes, lock it up too.

Those of you that know me, know I wore a badge for 15+ years, so dealing with the Police is nothing new to me.  We knew who took it, a guy that lived on the same street as my son lived where the items were stolen from.  The neighbors knew he took it, saw him and his buddies "loading out", didn't call the Police, just talked about it fom house to house.  We knew exactly who was involved.  They "caught" the guy at a Police Roadblock on the street, he fled, wrecked out, took MY shotgun out of his truck and was going to shoot it out with the Police.  What he didn't know was I had been meaning to replace the O-rings on the piston that cycles the bolt on this particular Mossburg 5500 for some time.  It'll fire the first round, but that's all you get unless you know how to cycle an "automatic" shotgun.  Yeah, he fired on the Police car, one round, birdshot, and it jammed on his worthless ass.  He took off thru the woods and got away.  They recovered a lot at that scene, but have been holding it for "evidence" for 3 years.  Moral of the story, PROTECT your guns, it's a lot easier than trying to get them back!

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 09:36:07 PM »
My Benjamin was not "with" the other guns that were stolen, so they saw it, and tought it looked like a "taker".  So I would say, yes, lock it up too.

Those of you that know me, know I wore a badge for 15+ years, so dealing with the Police is nothing new to me.  We knew who took it, a guy that lived on the same street as my son lived where the items were stolen from.  The neighbors knew he took it, saw him and his buddies "loading out", didn't call the Police, just talked about it fom house to house.  We knew exactly who was involved.  They "caught" the guy at a Police Roadblock on the street, he fled, wrecked out, took MY shotgun out of his truck and was going to shoot it out with the Police.  What he didn't know was I had been meaning to replace the O-rings on the piston that cycles the bolt on this particular Mossburg 5500 for some time.  It'll fire the first round, but that's all you get unless you know how to cycle an "automatic" shotgun.  Yeah, he fired on the Police car, one round, birdshot, and it jammed on his worthless ass.  He took off thru the woods and got away.  They recovered a lot at that scene, but have been holding it for "evidence" for 3 years.  Moral of the story, PROTECT your guns, it's a lot easier than trying to get them back!

Mr. Suggs,
Thank you!  I will learn from you, rather than learn the hard way.
Do you mean to tell me that everyone knows it's all your gear.  You can prove that several are yours and you got those back.  You can describe and identify the rest of the gear, but because you do not have the serial numbers written down, that the police will not release the rest of the gear to you....?  Can you escalate the matter to the DA or to a judge?  Did you EVER catch the BG?  Can you get an admission from him?
I had an old room mate steel my dad's rifle from my house.  The rifle was a low end bolt action, very well used from a pawn shop.  It was sentimental and my dad passed away years ago.   I joined the Navy and was overseas.  Scumbag was long gone before I returned to the states.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Do you mean to tell me that everyone knows it's all your gear.  You can prove that several are yours and you got those back.  You can describe and identify the rest of the gear, but because you do not have the serial numbers written down, that the police will not release the rest of the gear to you....?  Can you escalate the matter to the DA or to a judge?.

AG2...  Thish is a small town Police Department, in a rural county.  Yes, because I have no papers to prove ownership, they will not release the weapons or anything else (tools) that have been recovered thusfar.  As far as the person who did it, yes, they have had him in custody a couple of times, let him out "by mistake" once, bailed out the last time and hadn't been seen since.  Everything is on "hold" until they can bring him to trial and won't release the evidence.

Sucks, don't it?

Tim.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 03:08:29 PM »
I know it's not much, but do you have any photos of the guns being held by you or a family member?

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 02:11:33 PM »
........... Everything is on "hold" until they can bring him to trial and won't release the evidence.

Sucks, don't it?

Tim.

Indeed.  I'd have to consider hiring a PI or a bounty hunter if I had the resources.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 02:49:18 PM »
 I meant to prove to the police ownership.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »
I know it's not much, but do you have any photos of the guns being held by you or a family member?

Not that I know of Armymars. 

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
Indeed.  I'd have to consider hiring a PI or a bounty hunter if I had the resources.

The problem is the guy that I bought it from are good friends.  The gun was originally purchased by his Mother (now deceased) and given to him as a present.  We never did a formal bill of sale when I bought it from him because he was hard up for cash and it was sort of a "pawn" situation and I fully expected that he would be getting it back.  Well, he got married, had kids, wife didn't want a gun in the house...  So it was mine.  He'll be glad to write me a bill of sale for the gun anytime, we just don't know what the serial number is. 

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
Kinda makes me think perhaps I should record the serial numbers on all of mine....er...the one I have.  Perhaps with a paper and pencil at least, especially since I'm moving soon.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
Kinda makes me think perhaps I should record the serial numbers on all of mine....er...the one I have.  Perhaps with a paper and pencil at least, especially since I'm moving soon.

I did just that AG2!  Recorded my numbers and sored along with pictures of each item.  Saved to my phone, my iPad, iPod...  And paper too!  Wish I had done it beforehand!

Offline O.B.

• Prepper
  • Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit.
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 04:50:06 AM »
I picked up a Crossman Storm w/ scope and 500 pellets for $50.00. Tok a while to sight it in at 25 yards but so far I've taken out 2 squirrels that hide hickory nut in one of my raised beds and one rabbit that decimated my sweet potatoes last year (he was delicious)