Author Topic: Canada  (Read 12861 times)

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
Canada
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »
How about our neighbors to the North?
Let's hear from ya.

dph13

Re: Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
...sticking my head out briefly, seeing my shadow and scurrying back underground...

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »
Any Canucks out there that can share advice on cold weather gardening to an Alaskan neighbor?  Would love to pick your brains.....!

backyardgardener

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
Hey fellow Canadians!
I'm happy to see a few of you here! I'm an ex-pat squatting in TX for the moment.
Cold weather gardening... When I lived there, I had some good luck with using straw bales as insulation around a hotbox (painted black on the inside). At night, I would put bales on top of the glass roof in order to insulate from cold temperatures and then take it off during the day. That said, I haven't dealt with anything close to an AK winter (I lived in Southern Ontario) so I imagine you might have to build a larger structure to prevent freezing.
Checkout this strawbale greenhouse: http://www.appropedia.org/Kiva%E2%80%99s_straw_bale_greenhouse
It might be a better insulated solution?
BYG

backyardgardener

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
or this "composting" greenhouse should be nice and toasty (albeit more expensive).
http://ersson.sustainabilitylane.com/greenhse.htm

backyardgardener

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:21:50 PM »
this might be the weirdest way to heat a greenhouse yet...
http://veggies-only.blogspot.com/2006/11/straw-bale-urinal.html

backyardgardener

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 04:43:22 PM »
Here's another great looking AK garden!
www.plantea.com/artichokes-alaska.htm

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 10:09:30 AM »
Wow!  Thanks Canada!  Will look at all the sites that you sent.  I'm very new to gardening and will be installing raised bed gardens this next spring.  Can't wait to get started, but would like to try some indoor stuff if possible.  What kind of temps are you dealing with there for your gardening?  Ours averages between 45 and 55 during the summer.  Hopefully we will have more sun next year as we had very few sunny days this last year.  Thanks again! 

BP

backyardgardener

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:06 PM »
There's a lot of talk on the forum about Pre-1965 American dimes & quarters. Does anyone know about the composition/value of Canadian coins?

Offline CBMS

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 02:00:06 PM »
Hey all Im checking in here!
As for the canadian silver coins, it is a bit further back i think from 1870-1969 for quarters and nickles

Offline Craig67

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »
Another Canadian checking in.

Something about silver in Canadian coins I found :

Canadian coins between 10 cents and $1 struck before 1968 are between 50 and 92 per cent silver, depending on the coin or year. They are worth a bit more than face value, depending on the price of silver. If coins are in good condition, the collector value may be even higher.

HTH,

Craig

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
Another canuck checking in. 

I've been reading posts from people getting junk silver...anyone now of a 'cheap' place to get junk silver in Canada? 

Thanks! and hi from BC!
Cathy

Offline one_third

• Prepper
  • on the move...
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »
There's a lot of talk on the forum about Pre-1965 American dimes & quarters. Does anyone know about the composition/value of Canadian coins?

You can find that info here.

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

Tedwilto

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Hey all you canadians, just checking in to see how my canadian brethren are doin. hope no ones getting too cold this winter  ;D

Offline Darklen

• Prepper
    • Bent Barrel Airsoft
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 07:30:51 PM »
Only -5°C here in Central AB right now. Supposed to get colder, but the weather prophets are usually wrong.

Offline shadewolf

• Prepper
    • TechCowboys Farm Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »
Hey all! checking in from Warburg, Alberta. It may be cold here but I've already started my gardening - in the house. This will be my third season of gardening and this year I have 7 acre farm to plant instead of less than a quarter acre total space scatter between 3 cities an hour apart. I'll be planting about 12,000 sqft of veggies, fruit and herbs this year, and am seriously getting into market gardening over the next couple years (I still work full-time in the city though for now). If you're relatively close to me, I'd be happy to show you around my place and the methods I am using for my gardening. Raised beds have been a goal for me, and to start all my plants I use plant lights inside the house. Check out my blog at http://aboussafygardensaga.blogspot.com and you can see the list of stuff I'm growing this year! I want to harden all my plants off starting about april 1st and will be using polytunnels and coldframes and whatever else i can get my hands on to keep my plants protected from the elements. Last 2 years had some cold/cool snaps mid season that hampered getting everything full size, and the learning curve has been nearly vertical but should taper off this year :-D This year will involve a ton more manual labour to build new beds on the new farm. We're pretty excited though to finally have our own land, we got a good deal on it, but still it's a mortgage to pay off. We'll see how early we can pay it down with this whole recession thing.  ;D

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 06:16:07 PM »
Hey Canadians....just wondering if anyone has some Canadian links for purchasing supplies such as mylar bags/oxygen absorbers/ etc.  I'd rather purchase within the country if possible.
Thanks!!

Offline Sporadic_E

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 09:53:46 PM »
Greetings everyone! Just touching base here as I have just registered. Came over from LATOC.

dph13

Spotted on Friday - not a word on the news
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 10:21:49 PM »

If it were to happen, looks like we'd probably not see it coming. Were you ready today at 08:44?

From fox news http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,503164,00.html

Wait! Did you hear that whooshing sound?

A small asteroid buzzed by Earth Monday, though only real astronomy geeks in the Pacific would have noticed.
The rock, estimated to be no more than 200 feet wide, zoomed past our planet at an altitude of 40,000 miles at 1:44 p.m. universal time — or 8:44 EST.
Dubbed 2009 DD45, it was discovered only on Friday by Australian astronomers.

Forty thousand miles may sound like a lot, but it's only about one-seventh of the way to the moon, and less than twice as far out as many telecommunications satellites.
Had 2009 DD45 hit the Earth, it would have exploded on or near the surface with the force of a large nuclear blast — not very reassuring when you consider humanity had only about three days' notice.

According to the Australian news Web site Crikey, the asteroid is likely to be drawn in by Earth's gravity, meaning it may return for many more near misses in the future.

Shameless plug: Ontario Preppers Network www.ontariopreppersnetwork.blogspot.com

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »
My wife and I are from MN and she wanted me to ask if you guys can put Red Green back on the air?  Guess which one she finds me Handsome or Handy?  ;)

gigaJack

Offline Ragzilla

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 08:47:41 AM »
Greetings.  I'm another ant from Alberta.
There is a lot of wet snow today.  I can't wait till spring.

Offline Sporadic_E

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »
Unfortunately Red Green has gone the way of the Littlest Hobo and The Beachcombers...

Offline Duckster

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
Hey Canadians....just wondering if anyone has some Canadian links for purchasing supplies such as mylar bags/oxygen absorbers/ etc.  I'd rather purchase within the country if possible.
Thanks!!

That's a +1 on that, the shipping on my last order of mylar and 0xygen absorbers cost as much as the stuff itself!

Cushak

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 07:56:49 AM »
Thanks!!

http://www.incaseof.ca/

Found that link on another forum, I've never ordered myself so I have no personal experience with them, but I imagine they'd be good.

Offline Darklen

• Prepper
    • Bent Barrel Airsoft
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 09:45:07 AM »
These guys have O2 absorbers and barrier bags. Out of Ontario. Like Cushak, never dealt with but they say they've been in business since 1998.

http://www.survivalpro.com/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:48:30 AM by Darklen »

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
http://www.incaseof.ca/

Found that link on another forum, I've never ordered myself so I have no personal experience with them, but I imagine they'd be good.

+1 for a great link!  Looks like a great site...lots of food product.  I'll check and see what they have for beans, and other dried foods as well.

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 02:51:18 PM »
These guys have O2 absorbers and barrier bags. Out of Ontario. Like Cushak, never dealt with but they say they've been in business since 1998.

http://www.survivalpro.com/

Another excellent link....looks like we have a few resources available in Canada for survival items now!  Thanks so much!  +1

Offline Sporadic_E

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 07:43:03 PM »
+1 for a great link!  Looks like a great site...lots of food product.  I'll check and see what they have for beans, and other dried foods as well.

LOL, Freddychef is the contractors for the CF's IMP (Individual Meal Pack). The ham and pineapple is gross! Most of the fowl is the same hunk of meat with different sauces. The Turkey stew is alright, take the dressing that comes with it and dump it in you left over stew juice... yummers!

Offline CBMS

• Survivor
Canadian Role Call
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
Alright, lets get some more names and places (or just Provinces if you like) for us Canuck Survivors!
To rehash:
CBMS from South Vancouver Island!
shadewolf: Warburg, Alberta
sassiesmom: I'm guessing Saskatchewan
Darklen: Central Alberta
Ragzilla: Albertan
Scarecrow: Onterrible
Who else so I can keep this thing up to date?

Offline Chris Redfield

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »
Checking in from the armpit of Ontario! :D