Author Topic: The United Kingdom  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Remington

• Survivor
Re: The United Kingdom
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 02:31:07 PM »
My girlfriend is from Kent, and now lives with me here in the states.

She's continuously amazed by how varied the weather is. There's really only a "rainy" season in England isn't there :D

Cheers from across the pond

Offline JetstreamJonny

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
Hi Tomgood - funnily enough I am reading Tom Browns classic book "The tracker" at the moment - I also have one of his tuturial books on tracking. It's wonderful stuff, and there's a lot to learn.
On the subject of water, I am lucky to have a pretty large garden and access to free 205 litre food grade steel drums, so I have one of those stashed aside full of nice fresh water. I also keep iodine drops sufficient to treat a similar amount.
I'm in the process of setting up water butts for watering the garden too, which will double as water supply if necessary.
As it happens, on my to do list for tomorrow is to buy some muslin fabric and make a sort of "Milbank" filter bag to put in each bug-out bag (I have a BOB for each family member) - it's light and is a very versatile and can give different levels of filtration depending how many times you fold the cloth. Would double as a dressing or bandage too.
I did a wild camping trip on Dartmoor a few years ago, we were carrying quite a lot and it was very hot - we needed to drink about 3-4 litres of water a day plus what we needed to cook with. We had MSR ceramic hand-pumped filter which was worth it's weight in gold - we couldn't have managed nearly so well without it and I reckon a water filter is a real asset in any bug-out bag and as a backup for home use.
It's also well worth scouring an OS explorer map of your area and clearly highlighting any wells nearby - they are marked on the map. A future purchase will be a hand pump, which will be stashed at my bug out location or in my vehicle kit.

In my survival tin I also have a filtration "straw" for real emergency use.
Cheers all - Jon

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 01:40:17 PM »
Hi all!

So how many UK'ers have we got on board then?

What do we think of Jack's comment about England being a 'Piss Hole'?  :D

Offline The Limey

• Prepper
  • EVER READY MADE IN ENGLAND
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »
Hello all this is my first post
I've been listening to Jack since December last year and the pods have had a huge effect on me totally changing my views. I am now a preper but i have just joined the forum because pod 184 made me so angry.
Trashcanman i saw your message post  on pod184 bog  and i thought it was very well put, however my own rambling message never made it  I uploaded it on wed at about16:40 BST before yours appeared. What time did you upload yours.
I thought Jack was well out of order and pod185 did not really say allot about it
Some of the comments about England by other people also seemed very negative I did not find it a laughing mater.
Do you think we can recommend to Jack a list of other Europeon countries who are more worthy of his wrath My vote France and Belgem
Mark

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »
Hiya Mark

I think Jack kind of explained things and clarified his thoughts.  I felt the same as you when I first listened to it.  I actually laughed more in shock at what I'd just heard so skipped back to listen again.  I had the same sort of reaction to when someone tells a bad taste joke.  You laugh at it but really you're laughing for the fact that its in bad taste.  Does that make sense?

Was I offended?  Initially yes.  On the second listen - no.  Jack calling America a Pig Trough sort of levelled it out for me :lol:

The truth is we do have some ridiculous laws set by morons here but Americans are faced with similar poor leadership decisions.  I guess this is one of the main reasons I have been into survivalism/prepping as I don't feel I can count on the British government in a time of crisis and I'm sure as shit that the Americans on this forum probably feel the same about their current administration.

I think we have to remember that it is 'one mans view' and whilst it certainly made me sit upright, gasp, laugh and think 'hang on a minute!' - I took no real offence.

Re: negative comments by others.  If this was a predominantly UK based forum, I don't have to tell you what would have been typed in a reversed situation.  Its water off a ducks back, mate.  I don't recall seeing anything offensive.  I'll have another read.

But yes, personally I would recommend France to be target numero uno!  It shouldn't be too hard - what is it that Groundskeeper Willy call them - Cheese, eating surrender monkeys! :lol:   (For any French reading this - JOKE! - I'm going on holiday to your beautiful country in 2 weeks time)

Good to know I'm not alone in here taking abuse from the Seppo's ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 05:36:28 PM by TrashCanMan »

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »
In the interest of being an equal opportunity offender and offending the Germans on behalf of the British I present the following.

About 1975 a British airline pilot had just landed in Berlin and was having trouble understanding a member of German air traffic control due to a heavy German accent.  After asking the German to repeat himself several times the German screams out to the British pilot in a coarse German accent, "what the hell is wrong with you, haven't you ever been to Berlin before"?

There is then a 5 second pause followed by a beautiful British voice that says "Why yes I have been to Berlin before but it was a very long time ago, it was very dark and we didn't land"?

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:43:21 AM by ModernSurvival »

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »
Hehehe  :D

TomGood

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 11:51:26 AM »
And a big Welcome to TrashCanMan and The Limey...

i would probably say that there are quite a few listeners/readers from the good old UK.. not to mention those that have already posted on here, so youre joining a growing number of preppers in these fair shores..

in regards to recent comments my 'one mans view' as jack would say it is..
very few prepper websites or American podcast even acknowledge there is an International or UK let alone have forum space or mention it in the webcast so be thankful that good old jack recognizes his international audience and mentions them at all.. (soo here here jack, and thanks for the webcast, forum's and sharing your advice).. besides there seems little point in getting upset if you disagree with jacks pisspot statement either in tone, content or because your just looking to get offended, not only is it as he states his opinion of which he more than entitled to but its not like anyone government or country has got it total right yet... just like each of us, each country is just trying to find their own path in this crazy world

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they`re not on your road doesn`t mean they`ve gotten lost. "

i mean can you imagine what the uk would be like if you tried to translate the US style of government and laws here and vica versa.. the cultural differences with our cross the pond brothers and sisters means that it would be a massive disaster...guns in an overcrowded place like the uk would be a disaster.. all them "hoody chavs" packing guns instead of just knives.. dear god!!! it only takes a coward to shoot somebody but it takes a certain severity of mental illness to stick someone with a knife. after all them kids responsible for the knife crimes and other asbo misdemeanours that the media like to whip up into gang members running amuke are just that.. kids..scared and messed up .. not vicious killers or psychopaths..

oh and just one more point whilst im ranting away here.. and please take this in the though provoking tone that its meant rather than an invitation to be offended. but since this is the 21st century dont you all think that we cant just get along.. crazy idea but lets drop this whole  "them and us" and not just recognize that we are all citizens of this world and we all have identical goals ( aptly demonstrated by this international forum of people all identifying with the same concerns,  goals, desire to share knowledge)......

anyhows.. what i was meant to be posting about was information... specifically good sources of information. it being the key to being prepared for lifes twists and turns i was wondering where peeps get their daily fix from.. i mean the bbc as we all know is pretty good and relatively impartial (or at least it should be) but for a more rounded all sides view where do we all get the latest from???...

my two recommendations are

http://www.guerrillanews.com/

http://www.disinfo.com/content/

again take these with a pinch of salt and remember that we all have biases and spins.. but they are quite good for a different take on world events and sometime point out stuff suppressed or skipped by mainsteam media like the bbc or those owned by Rupert Murdoch and his chums......

my other question was does anyone have recommendation for uk based trainning?? since the USA seems to have a lot of surival/wilderness school i was wondering if anyone knows of some good uk based ones...????

Tom....

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
Hi Tom :)

I want to leave all this 'piss hole' talk alone now.  Its been done to death and I'm getting bored of it.  LOL

As you so rightly say, we are here as survivalists/preppers/whatever you want to call yourself and we should all play nicely together.  Even the French.  And the Germans.   ;D

So back to a proper discussion.  News resources.

I'm going to check out those links when I get a couple of minutes spare.  I do look at the BBC website for news but I sometimes wonder what is being manipulated/left out/hyped up and I'm 100% not one of those tin foil hat wearing folk!  I tend to take my news from a variety of sources, such as Reuters, Yahoo news, etc.

UK based training wise - a good place to check out is BushcraftUK.com for reviews on training places.  I've personally not done any yet but would like to.  I'm really tempted to go to the Bushmoot in August but I can't book it yet as I might be working in Los Angeles in August.  Just waiting to find out for sure.

Offline The Limey

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 03:21:51 PM »
Hi guys even i laughed out load when Jack said to stick my gun control up my ass not sure how to do that
Mark

Offline The Limey

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 03:34:52 PM »
This is one of my favorite news  sites
 www.eureferendum.blogspot.com

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »
Hi guys even i laughed out load when Jack said to stick my gun control up my ass not sure how to do that
Mark

When you do figure it out let me know, I have a few congressmen, a few senators and some cabinet members I really would like to send step by step instructions to.  ;)

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 04:46:52 PM »
TomGood - +1 for the handle.... I LOVE Good Neighbors.  my FIL recommended it to us when he discovered I wanted chickens and a goat.

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
TomGood - +1 for the handle.... I LOVE Good Neighbors.  my FIL recommended it to us when he discovered I wanted chickens and a goat.

Is it known as 'Good Neighbours' stateside?  Its called 'The Good Life' here.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2009, 04:56:16 PM »
Is it known as 'Good Neighbours' stateside?  Its called 'The Good Life' here.

yup.  I had forgotten that it is "Good Life" over there.  They must have changed the credits too for us because the opening credits on the DVDs say "Good Neighbors."  I love when Jerry comes on the screen - he is the perfect foil for the Goods.
Good show.

TomGood

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »
soo now that its confirmed here...

how long till tesco's sees queues of the masses panic buying...???

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 02:22:56 PM »
The minute its confirmed in England I think we'll notice it.  :-\

bowdrill

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2009, 03:21:19 PM »
hi to you all  from Wales nice to meet you all

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2009, 04:19:50 PM »
Hi Bowdrill

Just came back from a hiking trip in Beddgelert last weekend - Lovely place :)

TomGood

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
Hi Bowdrill

Welcome to the boards..

Offline Andy44

• Prepper
    • Self Sufficiency World
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2009, 03:50:34 AM »
Hi All from the West Midlands!

I've always been survival minded, and have been listening to Jack since Christmas (I went back and listened to all the "crappy audio" shows too). Have only just got round to joining the Forum and MSB!

Good to see some UK survivalists/preppers!

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2009, 05:17:03 PM »
Hi Andy

The UK's getting a strong representation now :)

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2009, 05:19:10 AM »
Hi Bowdrill and Andy,
welcome to the forums from an Okie who lives in England.

Offline JetstreamJonny

• Prepper
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »
Hello everyone, I've not been looking at the forum for quite a while, nice to see more of you here.
Tom, here are some survival schools that I have experience with:
First is good old Woodlore http://www.raymears.com/  His Rayness himself. My wife and I did a course with them a few years ago and it was brilliant as you might expect.
Second - Trueways http://www.survival-school.org/Default.aspx?tabid=297, Chris Caine is amazing, an absolute authority on wild foods and his instructors include legends like Lofty Wiseman.
Third - Woodsmoke http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/ I haven't attended any of their courses but I have been instructed by Ben McNutt when he was an instructor at Woodlore and he was excellent.
On a different note - do any of you have experience shooting rabbits with airguns? My friend Simon and I have been out on several sorties and so far the score is about 5 - Nil to the rabbits.
We need simple instructions in words of one syllable to explain the process of getting close enough (I reckon 40 yards max) to blast the little beggars humanely!
Cheers all - Jonny

TomGood

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2009, 08:34:59 AM »
Much Thanks JetStream. Will have to check them out.

aim to go to at least one of them this year and will report back :)

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »
Hey guys/gals.  (Actually, UK thread so should be 'Hi blokes/birds')

I'm trying to organise a bit of a UK meetup so if you're interested, check out this thread..... 

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=5981.0

:)

Offline EnglishBrambles

• Prepper
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 04:14:44 PM »
Hi all!

So how many UK'ers have we got on board then?

What do we think of Jack's comment about England being a 'Piss Hole'?  :D

Like some others who have posted I sat up and took notice when it was said. Upon reflection, there are some great things about the country and so not so great things. My thoughts are unless you think that Parliament etc. are doing a tip-top job there's no really reason to be offended.

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2009, 03:18:28 AM »
This is a little bump after Jack mentioned the International forums in the last podcast.

For any new UK visitors, don't be scared!  Feel free to post in here and say hi.  :)

Offline Justin

• Prepper
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2009, 06:57:55 AM »
Hi boys and girls

Just thought I'd join the forum as I haven't really bothered doing it before.

I've listened to the podcast since about episode 70 or 80 I think so I'm not altogether new to the ideas represented.  Kind of graduated to Jack and survivalism in general over the past 2 years due to watching some programmes on TV that got me thinking about the possible dangers of not planning for the worst.

I have slowly built up my library to include about 25 or 30 books on various related subjects (woodwork, construction, farming / gardening, primitive skills, etc) but haven't really had the chance to put anything into practice really due to lack of time.  Apart from construction, as I'm a surveyor.  That said, I'm not totally daft and can quite happily follow everything I've read and could put it into practice.  Maybe not well but at least enough to save me and the wife.  She thinks I'm pretty crazy btw but hasn't really put up much resistance to my planning.  Funnily enough , she complains more about my books than the 40 days of food we now have.

Otherwise, I noticed some of you people shoot air rifles, so I spose I should say I do too.  I have a Weihrauch H35.  Big, old and heavy but accurate as hell.  I also have an Aya Yeoman over and under 12 gauge locked away in the safe and have been practicing Wing Tsun for the past couple of years.  Hopefully (though I'm not too sure on how useful it will be) we will be learning to sail after the summer so I will be able to use a boat to some extent.

At the moment, I'm trying to plug any glaring holes in my plans.  The main one is our reliance of shops for food but I cannot really do that much until we move house.

Anyways, enough of my chatter.  Nice to 'meet' you all.

Offline TrashCanMan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)

With the UK legal limit on air rifles' power, are they powerful enough to hunt small game with?

Whereabouts in the UK do you live?