Author Topic: The United Kingdom  (Read 8100 times)

Offline Nirgal

• Prepper
  • The Idiots are winning. The Preacherman has spoken
    • P2S - Prepared to Survive
Re: The United Kingdom
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
Bump indeed. Hello to the n00bs.

My 20 is the damn capital, doesn't get much further South(East).  :D

Offline TomGood

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2010, 02:32:30 AM »
greetings again, long time no posting, so long in fact they deleted my old account. serves me right for reading and not contributing..

and in that spirit and in light of jacks podcast

check out the following links, ones more american than internation but still rings true..

http://boingboing.net/2008/07/28/law-prof-and-cop-agr.html

but the other one is directly about good old blighty..

http://www.tpuc.org/node/558

both imho and worth the time it takes to watch them..

enjoy
Tom Good

Offline stevebluff

• Prepper
  • arte et marte
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2010, 01:34:25 AM »
Hi All, also first time back on the forum for a long old time (2008 was my last post i think).  Glad to see the UK part is still rolling.

BR

Steve

Offline joejoe

• Prepper
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2010, 05:29:55 PM »
Hi guys, Joe here from Scotland Uk, just looking through the threads on this topic and its looking like im the first up here or has someone beat me to it  :D

Offline stevebluff

• Prepper
  • arte et marte
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2010, 02:49:08 AM »
Hi,

Not seen another Scotish prepper as i can recal. judging by the weather reports you should be digging in and practising your snow holes and igloos..  At least your preps will see you through the long winter.

Best rergards

Steve

Offline joejoe

• Prepper
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »
It was down to -9 deg C when I was out on the hills at the weekend plus theres been about 4-6 ft of snow in places, im feeling a lot better with the bug out bag in the back of the car. Its geared up for use below -20 so im hoping to try it out if temp drop a bit  :o
Even started stocking up some food incase the supermarkets run out.

Offline salan

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2010, 04:01:39 AM »
Hi all,
Been listening to the podcasts fora few months now.
Really enjoying them.
Based in Cheshire, anyone else form this neck of the woods?
Alan

Offline joejoe

• Prepper
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2010, 12:35:38 PM »
Hi Alan, how the weather down your way, you guys got snow too.  joe

Offline littledavesab

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »
Im a newbie.  Like podcasts and frequent another board which shares some similarities with this but is more gold bug orientated.   I am not that much of a goldie however.

Am nowhere on the prepping stage as yet although could do without a car fairly easily.   I dont think that peak oil is gonnna end civilisation.  Not sure where we are on the debt supercycle but is something to be wary of.

Thinking of starting off gently at first by planting some fruit and veg in the garden.  Yes planting season is upon us!

Offline Carnwaj

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
Hi everyone another +1 from the UK.

Long time listener of Jack and think the guy should run for President!

Always good to think how Jack's ideas would translate to the UK. I listen to the podcasts when I'm out running to take my mind off the canal tow path.

Wonder what the US listers would think if we translated the cost of living (fuel, taxes, groceries) into dollars. I think there would be a revolution over in the US if they had to pay the same crap we do. £100 to fill up my car recently. :o

Offline bravotwozero

• Prepper
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
Everything is relative.  Wages are much higher in the UK and we don't pay for health insurance.

Fuel is cheaper but bearing in mind 95% of vehicles dont get greater than 20mpg fuel aint cheap.

Groceries are bloody expensive.  I used to think the US was cheap on vacation, bear in mind it used to be 1 quid = 2 dollars.

I'm from Manchester originally, my wife is American and we life in Alabama.

You guys need to LOVE the NHS because you have no idea how bad healthcare can get.

Offline Tejun

• Prepper
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2011, 05:43:50 AM »
Hello again.  Glad the forum did not delete my account.

At the moment things are fun (in that way that makes you sad).  So what I do have in my small collection of stuff like tents needs to get aired over the next few days.  Best check on the waterproof and see if they need to get redone.

St the moment I am looking into small charging units.  Well solar powered lights you get for a few pounds now.  Mostly to use as a day charger for my amateur radio handheld/base station.  5 cells will bring out 10-12W depending on the daylight.  So even if the power goes out for a short while I can get working on the radio when power goes out.

So hi to all the UK members and this time of year is a good time to check out your stuff.  ;)  Have fun all.

Offline jericanman

• Prepper
  • dorset rocks
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2011, 08:27:25 AM »
im from dorset. sunny south england... well when its not raining  ;)

been listening for a while. thought id jump on the forums at last

Offline TomGood

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »
Hiya UK people.

welcome to jericanman and a big hello to everyone else.

I am on the look out for a place in the UK that resells shelf reliance fifo can rotation systems or something very similar. i have been scouring the i-net to no avail. I emailed shelf reliance and ask directly if they shipped here or if they had a authorised reseller and whilst very helpful and polite and with a quick response the answer was a no not yet come back and check in future in-case we have decided too..

it such a shame (but understandable in the context of the majority of jacks listeners) that a lot of the sponsors of the show and the discounts in the MSB are only applicable in the US.  that's not to say that of course being a MSB member isn't totally worth it if you do live in dear old blighty... and for the most part i have been able to source some of the great things elsewhere or get it shipped to the UK (like books etc..).. however the can system i havent been able to yet.

Whilst i would usually prefer to build something like this myself due to my storage setup it would look much better if it was slightly more professionally made... :) rather than my usual rustic but functional efforts of construction :)

Offline jericanman

• Prepper
  • dorset rocks
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2011, 07:45:19 AM »
cant think of anywhere that does.
 use the old  shelf system.( put new stuff on the left , use the stuff on the far right , and just slide it along as you go)

i imagine the instructables website probably has a self build design on it.
i

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2011, 04:44:46 PM »
Hi Jericanman and anyone else that is new.  I've not been on in a long while, but was reminded very recently of the forum and so thought I'd pop in.    Welcome!

Jericanman, love your verse!

Offline aman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »
Hi there

I am from Cornwall in the far SW of the UK

I heard about the survival podcast through a thread about aquaponics on Prepared2Survive forum in the UK

I have become an avid daily listener ever since and I am slowly working my way though the back episodes.

I am mainly interested in the food production/storage, alternative energy and frugal living sides of the podcasts but it is good to listen to all jack has to say.

I am now enjoying exploring the forum as well an hope to get to know some of you better

Thanks

aman

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2011, 05:11:06 AM »
Hi there

I am from Cornwall in the far SW of the UK

I heard about the survival podcast through a thread about aquaponics on Prepared2Survive forum in the UK

I have become an avid daily listener ever since and I am slowly working my way though the back episodes.

I am mainly interested in the food production/storage, alternative energy and frugal living sides of the podcasts but it is good to listen to all jack has to say.

I am now enjoying exploring the forum as well an hope to get to know some of you better

Thanks

aman

Hi Aman and welcome to the forum.   I haven't listened to Jack's podcasts for a while but they are very good.  There is a recent one I'd like to listen to now, on "unschooling".     

Offline TomGood

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2011, 05:43:00 AM »
hiya all

i asked awhile back about trainning in the uk, and boy im glad i did. i finally got around to doing a couple of courses and i cannot recommend http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/  enough... seriously these guys and gals really know there stuff.

i only wish that i had attended them earlier as it would have saved me soo much money in not buying useless and actually some dangerous kit. really guys there are some things out there that are plain dangerous for normal hiking let alone if things got "serious". prime example those stupid surivial straws...

i would truely recommend them to anyone regardless of previous experience, regardless of what you think you know these lot can teach you a hell of a lot. (some serious military people were on some course and they gave amazing feedback).. as well as old ladies, house wives, you name it.....

<disclaimer> i am in no way affliated / employeed or otherwise linked to woodsmoke <disclaimer> i dont know about the other courses/places recommended to me and i might get around to them someday but for now i am more than happy with the woodsmoke place and people and will deffo be going back for more.. 

cant recommend them enough..

take cares

tom

Offline Ada

• Prepper
  • I'm in the chatroom!
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2012, 03:03:18 AM »
Hey, UK! I'm going to London, is there any where I can get mylar bags and o2 absorbers in london (: ?

Offline KellyAnn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
I found a website, but they're not in London http://www.mylarbags.co.uk/
I also found a place that sells mylar bags, by not the O2 absorbers http://www.printingblue.co.uk/mylar-bags-printing.asp
Here in the USA, we've got things sold as handwarmers that basically do the same thing as O2 absorbers.  Maybe you've got something similar there?
Mail order just might just be your best bet.

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
Just checking in - been ages, sorry.   

Offline topcatuk2

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
Evening all.  Noob prepper from Dorset.  Just recently came across the podcasts.  Good for listening to on long drives, in the bath, getting through housework.  Main goal is to start gvetting 1 month of food and water together a\nd go from there.  Also just joined the 13 skills website.

Offline Theonewhoismatt

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2013, 06:54:36 AM »
Just joined! Hi all!

Offline Tejun

• Prepper
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2013, 03:55:50 AM »
As mentioned in this thread about prepping and training you could try Trueways.  Run by John Wiseman who wrote the SAS survival manual, he does not only outdoors but also urban survival as well.

Trueways survival

Offline Nirgal

• Prepper
  • The Idiots are winning. The Preacherman has spoken
    • P2S - Prepared to Survive
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2013, 10:37:53 AM »
I wanted to let you know that there has been some upheavals of late over at P2S.

Out of the original founding members only the owner remains. The main organiser (and energy) of all UK RVs has stepped down an requested all his posts be deleted (they have not); two long-standing administrators have stepped down and many mods have followed.

I have no idea what plans are afoot for what remains of the forum, I do know that we have all left with a very bitter taste in our mouths.

A salutory lesson in trusting like-minded individuals...

Offline Evil kilt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »
SCORE!!!!!!!!
im in shropshire ,so glad to find normal folk at last .My shite needs to change and this is were it starts throw me a message if your in my area
so glad that there is a few Brits on here

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2013, 06:49:34 AM »
Hi to Topcat, theonewhoisMatt, and evil kilt. 

I sure need to get back to this forum more often!

Offline bigpaul

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »
Bigpaul signing in, just joined the site. I'm in North Devon.

Offline The FOM

• Prepper
  • If the holes don't touch, it's not a grouping.
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »
Hi all,

Been on hear for a while but not found this thread. I am a farmer and grower from deepest darkest flattest Essex. I hope to chat to you all.