Author Topic: The Washington State Thread  (Read 15824 times)

Offline rev.tactical

• Prepper
  • Looking to make some good connections in my area
Re: The Washington State Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2009, 06:20:43 PM »
Archer...
Sorry for it taking so long to repsond. My server has been down and I have been out of town...Anyway. I enjoy forging because of the vast options it provides. from tools to ornamental stuff...a skilled hammer can do alot. I also like the direct satisfaction it provides...At the end of a project, I can say "I made that." In my other work as a minister, the work is often on process and things that cant really be measured or quantified, unlike a sweet forged steel handrailing or lighting sconce. Its fun...thanks for your question
Rev.

Goober Pyle

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2009, 06:40:26 PM »
your avatar kicks ass rev.

Offline rev.tactical

• Prepper
  • Looking to make some good connections in my area
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
thanks Goob...hey to Andy
rev

soundlzrd

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2009, 10:43:47 PM »
I am not mil, many think I am but I actually run route relief.

Offline Rom

• Prepper
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2009, 09:06:40 PM »
Recently displaced Washingtonian here. Moved to Idaho for a job opportunity. Grew up in a small town between Yakima and the Tri-Cities, and spent 03-06 in Kennewick. I put boots on alot of dirt down in that area (for the grass fires, in fact I am sure Mr. Bill saw me in a yellow engine running around in the Hanford area). My wife's family hails from Hermiston, and my family is still in Prosser, so we are in the area alot. I know I don't exactly belong in the WA state thread, but reading through made me a bit homesick, so thanks for tuning in.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2009, 07:54:25 AM »
Whoa.  I found an ammunition store in the Seattle area with an absurd selection and inventory.  They have .380, .45 galore, 9mm coming out their ears, 7.62x39, tons of .223/5.56.  They have lots of odd calibers (a case of 5mm Rem.!) and about 20 kinds of .22LR, including bricks of most.  Prices are fair. 

They don't do internet orders (to speak of).  You have to physically go there.  Anyone in the Seattle area or eastern Washington (it's worth the drive) should PM me and I'll tell you where it is.  I don't want to post their name and then they get a zillion calls from all over the country asking if they ship.  This is a western Washington thing.  You could call them to make sure they have your stuff, but, like I say, you need to physically go there.

I'm telling my peeps about ammo that's in stock--and that is not in my self-interest.  You will probably buy all the stuff I need, but I take care of my forum homeys.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »
...I put boots on alot of dirt down in that area (for the grass fires, in fact I am sure Mr. Bill saw me in a yellow engine running around in the Hanford area). ...

A huge THANK YOU to you, from me and my wife.

I'm not sure why we thought that living in the middle of a zillion square miles of tinder was a brilliant survivalist plan.  There's a good chance we would have lost our house twice in the 7 years we've lived in it, if not for the good work of our local firefighters.

Offline Mord

• Prepper
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2009, 09:59:17 PM »
Another guy from Redmond.  Glad to hear there are other TSP forum members living so close  :)

Offline Rom

• Prepper
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »
A huge THANK YOU to you, from me and my wife.

I'm not sure why we thought that living in the middle of a zillion square miles of tinder was a brilliant survivalist plan.  There's a good chance we would have lost our house twice in the 7 years we've lived in it, if not for the good work of our local firefighters.

My please Mr. (and Mrs.) Bill. You guys have some great fire protection down there, and it is only getting better. Being that you are on this board, I bet my offer will be un-needed, but for the record: If you ever get to feeling like you might be under-prepared for fire, please feel free to PM me and I will offer all that I can in advice and online learning resources. I made a big training push my last two years down there, so I have a decent library of materials both on paper and on the brain. Hope things stay safe for you this coming season. Enjoy those dusty rose sunsets, I miss them a bit.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2009, 10:26:52 AM »
...Being that you are on this board, I bet my offer will be un-needed, but for the record: If you ever get to feeling like you might be under-prepared for fire, please feel free to PM me and I will offer all that I can in advice and online learning resources. I made a big training push my last two years down there, so I have a decent library of materials both on paper and on the brain. ...

Thanks very much for that offer!  But if you wanted to post a little of that info here on the forum, that would be even better.  I just did a search, and there doesn't seem to be a good thread about wildfire preparations yet.

I always feel sorta fairly well prepared for a fire... until I see the smoke.  :-\

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2009, 09:31:48 PM »
I always feel sorta fairly well prepared for a fire... until I see the smoke.  :-\

Gah.  Had the scanner radio on all day because it was our first windy day after a hot spell.  Finally turned it off this evening for just an hour and a half to watch a movie.

Opened the curtains afterwards to see all the fire engines in the world just down the hill from us.  A neighbor's shed or chickenhouse or something burned up.

I am going to build a concrete underground house totally surrounded by foot-deep gravel.  On an island.  In the middle of a rain forest.  Gah!

Offline Rom

• Prepper
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »
Your thread on fire prep (fancy fire term: Wildland Urban Interface) idea is a good one. I will get working on that. The concrete house is a bit of overkill, but not un-cool. Just have a good green buffer, and keep some refreshments for firefighters who might drive by, you can entice them over to your place with lemonade and granola bars. Your property shouldn't have to hold out against the fire for long, the grass out there is light.

justadad

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
Live from Walla Walla, Washington , Home of "many waters" (and winery's nowadays). Love the Podcasts, Jack does a great job, good content.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2009, 07:50:45 AM »
Welcome justadad.

We have some SW Washington folks here.  Seems to be a popular spot.

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »
Greetings from South Snohomish County!

Offline Klapton

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2009, 09:55:10 PM »
I grew up on the East Hill of Kent.  I spent many of my summers in the Skykomish valley.  I currently live in PA.  If it weren't for insane real-estate prices, and even more insane nanny-statism, I'd start my homestead in my soggy homeland.  Instead I'll be heading for western Montana this summer.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2009, 07:18:15 AM »
welcome citizen zero and klapton.

Offline kymbleg

• Prepper
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2009, 08:05:24 PM »
Clarkston here.  Not prepared so to speak.  got onto the forum to look at Bug out bags.  Have to laugh because most of the items that everyone puts in their bags are standard equipment in my truck that i drive to work everyday.  I'd have to grab my rifle(sometimes others its already in the toolbox of my truck) and a coat to bug out.  I guess more than anything I'm looking at survival and most of you easterners will be coming here not me going there.
  for those who don't know Clarkston is in Asotin county which is South East corner of the state.   
Greetings all

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
Greetings kymbleg.

In many ways you have it way better where you are.

offgridmontana

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2009, 04:22:45 AM »
I departed Olympia two weeks ago and relocated to Helena, MT and I'll never look back to the Soviet Gestapo WA BIG GOV State. I'll not miss taxes, taxes and more taxes....I'll miss the seafood and ocean and Puget Sound though. :'(

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2009, 01:49:03 AM »
Greater Seattle area. ;)

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2009, 10:12:59 AM »
Skagit Valley here.  Having lived in DC (the OTHER Washington) and Michigan, putting up with the idiots in the state gov is worth the freedom of living by the sea.  Give me the salty air and green gardens or give me death!

Offline darkwingdave

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2009, 03:53:34 PM »
Centralia - although I'm presently in SE GA making arrangements for my mom who had to go into a nursing home. On the good side have hooked up with some good 2nd Amendment supporters here and joined IDPA. When I get back I'm going to look into starting a club there as the closest one I'm aware of is in Renton.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
Samuel Adams, 1776

Offline danguyer81

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2009, 11:48:32 PM »
I grew up in Pullman, WA and now live just over the border out in the country in Northern Idaho. I live between Genesee, ID and Uniontown, WA which have about as much presence as a fart in a hurricane. My closest neighbor is about a mile away but it is only about a 30 minute commute to work. I love this area and I can stand making less to deal with less people. I prefer Idaho's laws and culture but I am a Washingtonian at heart. Can you guys get the state cleaned up so I can move back someday? =)

Also...used to be stationed at Fort Lewis south of Tacoma...can't say I miss that mess.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2009, 05:55:35 AM »

Can you guys get the state cleaned up so I can move back someday? =)

Working on it.  Too bad I can't tell people on this forum what I do for a living or you'd know how serious I am about trying to change things.  Peacefully.

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
Working on it.  Too bad I can't tell people on this forum what I do for a living or you'd know how serious I am about trying to change things.  Peacefully.

Now you got me curious.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »
I work in Olympia.

Offline akdentist

• Survivor
  • One man with courage is a majority - Jefferson
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »
Hello from Alaska,

I am looking for property in WA or OR.  I lived in WA about 20 years ago [Issaquah] and am now looking for a BOL/retirement place.

I know nothing of cost of living, taxes, or other questions to ask.  I would like remote agriculture/timber land - but then wouldn't most of us.

Any recommendations on where to look would be great. 

Thanks,

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2009, 05:23:28 PM »
Hello from Alaska,

I am looking for property in WA or OR.  I lived in WA about 20 years ago [Issaquah] and am now looking for a BOL/retirement place.

I know nothing of cost of living, taxes, or other questions to ask.  I would like remote agriculture/timber land - but then wouldn't most of us.

Thanks,

www.windemere.com

Great search functionality.

Offline 2Caffeinated

• Survivor
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2009, 05:52:47 PM »
Hello from Alaska,

Thanks,

East side or west side?