Author Topic: The Washington State Thread  (Read 15823 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Re: The Washington State Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »
I don't want to hijack this thread, so I refer you to another thread where I ask about camo patterns for coyote hunting in eastern Washington: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3635.0

4the2nd

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »
It is indeed Captain Ron! Good catch!  :)

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
I live in Redmond, WA. Just joined the forum but have been listening to the podcasts for a while now. I'm happy to see other people from the area on here, I thought I was the only survivalist minded person here in the land of Microsoft!

Michael Masse

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
Welcome Fingerlinkingood,  any connection with KFC to be derived from your avatar?

We are closer then you think.

I'm north of you in Sno. co.

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »
No, no relation to KFC... it's just the only thing I could think of :) 

I guess I know where to run when SHTF... as fast as I can out of King County.

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »
Welcome, I work in Redmond.

Offline Casedog

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »
I am currently in Spokane going to school. I am new to prepping so I am not far along and I will be moving south again in 6 mos.

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

3 Dog Night

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
Adams County checking in.  Moved here two years ago from Hawaii.  Found the podcast site a few months ago and have been catching up.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 08:26:12 PM »
Welcome 3 Dog Night. 

You're in a good place, Adams County.

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 11:52:40 PM »
Another guy in Redmond (rural redmond that is :-))

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 09:31:55 AM »
Oh nice union hill! It's beautiful out there. Welcome to the forum!

NikkiG

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »
Hi all.  Another one in Snohomish County (Edmonds).

Michael Masse

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2009, 02:57:55 PM »
Hi NikkiG,

Welcome to the the forum.

I work in Edmonds just a block up from the ferry terminal.

Offline rev.tactical

• Prepper
  • Looking to make some good connections in my area
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 01:10:11 PM »
Howdy - I'm just introducing myself...The Rev. .I am new to this forum..I live in the Tacoma area...'tween South Tacoma and Puyallup area...
I practice up at the Marksman at Canyon Rd. Looking for like minded folks who are are not the tin hat/black helicopter conspiracy religious zealot types..I am a minister, but a rather liberal one. I don't force my beliefs on anyone and respect a person's right to live without religion.
We are looking for people with whom to discuss preparedness topics, hang out and trade info and knowledge. My wife and I are planning a garden and are becoming increasingly more self sustaining...little by little. Chickens and laying hens will be next! We have fruit trees and do caning and food storage. I am hoping this forum will be a good way to connect with people in my area. Increase our options and contacts in case of emergency. We like to barter and trade.
I am also a blacksmith who learned on a coal forge many, many years ago. If anyone is interested in setting up their own off-grid forge, I can help with that. I also can teach a little beginning forging to anyone who has wanted to learn how to shape hot metal. Ive done classes before.
Thanks,
The Rev

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »

Looking for like minded folks who are are not the tin hat/black helicopter conspiracy religious zealot types..

You are in the right place.  No wackos here and we're very tolerant.  I personally am a Christian but I don't get in anyone's grill about it.

Welcome.  You'll love this place. 

Offline rev.tactical

• Prepper
  • Looking to make some good connections in my area
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »
Thanks Heavy,
Where abouts are you located?
Rev

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 02:55:06 PM »
Olympia.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »
I am also a blacksmith who learned on a coal forge many, many years ago. If anyone is interested in setting up their own off-grid forge, I can help with that. I also can teach a little beginning forging to anyone who has wanted to learn how to shape hot metal. Ive done classes before.
Hello Rev, welcome to the forum. I've always been interested in blacksmithing, can you give me your general, overall feel for it? Kinda like 'I like it because'? I don't have the space or resources now, but that is something I feel can be useful down the road. thanks.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2009, 11:10:46 AM »
Looks like everyone here is from the West side.  I'm East of the Cascades just outside of Spokane.  You heard of any other Inland Empire prepies?

One more eastern-Washingtonian checking in.  (Near Richland, on a hillside overlooking the scenic Hanford nuclear reservation.)

I'm just here to learn about beer cows;D

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »
One more eastern-Washingtonian checking in.  (Near Richland, on a hillside overlooking the scenic Hanford nuclear reservation.)

Cool... does the proximity affect your preparations? I have somewhat of an interest in "nuclear history" and am hoping to take a tour of the place next month...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2009, 06:49:34 PM »
Cool... does the proximity affect your preparations?

Well, our preparations in general could be a whole lot better.  That's the main reason I'm lurking around this forum (that, plus an invitation from Sister Wolf).  As for Hanford-specific preparations, I guess having a wife who works there is one of the best things, because we've got fairly accurate knowledge of what the actual hazards are.  Our house is upwind of the site (most of the time) and too distant to be affected by groundwater contamination.  There aren't too many realistic Hanford disasters that would put us in immediate danger.

But I really ought to build that Heathkit Geiger Counter kit that's sitting out in the garage.  (If anyone can recall when Heathkit went out of business, you'll know how long the kit has been sitting out in the garage. :-[ )

... I have somewhat of an interest in "nuclear history" and am hoping to take a tour of the place next month...

Got your tour tickets?  All the slots are filled up for this summer's public tours of the site and the B Reactor.  (Hanford tour info link)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »

I'm just here to learn about beer cows;D

Mr. BILL!!!!! *POUNCE HUG*  You made it! Iorek was just asking me to bug you and find out what you thought of the forum, and here you are posting.  Welcome! :)

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »
... Got your tour tickets?  All the slots are filled up for this summer's public tours of the site and the B Reactor.  (Hanford tour info link)

I got 2 tickets (my daughter called for me at 12:01 the day the became available). I might only be using one.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 06:16:54 PM »
Mr. BILL!!!!! *POUNCE HUG*  You made it! Iorek was just asking me to bug you and find out what you thought of the forum, and here you are posting.  Welcome! :)

Thank you.  :)

What I think of the forum is it's kinda humongous. :o  So I'll be lurking a lot, and using the search function a lot, and, uh, I hear there's some guy doing podcasts around here?  I should probably check that out too. ;)

I got 2 tickets (my daughter called for me at 12:01 the day the became available). I might only be using one.

Velcome to ze Zecret Hanford Ticket Scalpink Black Market Unterground...   ;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 06:21:40 PM »
Thank you.  :)

What I think of the forum is it's kinda humongous. :o  So I'll be lurking a lot, and using the search function a lot, and, uh, I hear there's some guy doing podcasts around here?  I should probably check that out too. ;)

There are two things in particular that I absolutely adore about the TSP forum.  #1: it's a forum of doers.  #2: they let me pretend I'm a goddess.  :D

But the most cool thing is that it REALLY IS a forum of doers.  There are some really stupid arguments here every once in a while, but it's a whole lot more civil than most anywhere else on the net, and everybody is doing something.  Anyway, I'm really glad you're here.  I'll have to recommend some of my favorite podcasts to you later.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2009, 06:46:03 PM »
There are two things in particular that I absolutely adore about the TSP forum.  #1: it's a forum of doers.

Yeah, I need to work on that aspect a bit.  I've worn out the pillow that I put on my chair because I wore out the upholstery in the chair by sitting in front of the computer.  And I still haven't planted my seeds.  Or refilled the water bottles.

#2: they let me pretend I'm a goddess.  :D

Pretend?  You mean, you aren't...  No, TW just asked us not to encourage you.  Anyway, no mere goddess could do what you did yesterday.  ;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
Yeah, I need to work on that aspect a bit.  I've worn out the pillow that I put on my chair because I wore out the upholstery in the chair by sitting in front of the computer.  And I still haven't planted my seeds.  Or refilled the water bottles.

Pretend?  You mean, you aren't...  No, TW just asked us not to encourage you.  Anyway, no mere goddess could do what you did yesterday.  ;D

Lets not talk about what I did yesterday  >:(  :-X ;D

But you DID do something lately.  You sent me amazing purple calabash heirloom tomato seeds, and they're germinating right over there *points*, and then I'm gonna plant them, and they will grow to be beautiful, delicious tomatoes, all because of something you did.

soundlzrd

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2009, 12:41:23 AM »
Generally Tacoma but currently in Yakima. It has turned into my new, least favorite place.  ;D

Oh well, it will be my last week over here for a while. I am over here for work.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2009, 07:44:11 AM »

Generally Tacoma but currently in Yakima. It has turned into my new, least favorite place.  ;D

Oh well, it will be my last week over here for a while. I am over here for work.

Hmm....  A week at a time in Yakima for work.  Might you be at the Yakima Firing Center for Guard duty?  "Generally Tacoma" could mean Ft. Lewis/McChord AFB.