Author Topic: Portland OR forecast for Saturday 8/17/19: dueling far-right vs antifa  (Read 240 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
Sat 8/17 is probably a good day to stay out of downtown Portland.

AP, 8/13/19: Portland, Oregon, braces for far-right rally, counterprotest

...an informal coalition of white nationalists, white supremacists and extreme-right militias hones its focus on Oregon's largest city as a stand-in for everything it feels is wrong with the U.S. ...

Portland's Rose City Antifa, the nation's oldest active anti-fascist group, says violence against right-wing demonstrators is "exactly what should happen when the far-right attempts to invade our town."...

None of the city's nearly 1,000 police officers will have the day off, and Portland will get help from the Oregon State Police and the FBI. Mayor Ted Wheeler has said he may ask Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, to call up the Oregon National Guard. ...

The rally is being organized by a member of the Proud Boys....  Others expected include members of the American Guard, the Three Percenters, the Oathkeepers and the Daily Stormers. ...

Actually, that's a fairly crappy news article.  It starts by talking about "out-of-state far-right groups planning a rally here" and then contradicts itself later by quoting "Randy Blazak, the leading expert on the history of hate groups in Oregon":

"When I'm looking at what's happening right now, for me it's a direct line back to the 1980s: the battles between the racist skinheads and the anti-racist skinheads. ... It's the latest version of this thing that's been going on for 30 years in this city."

Oh well.  The analysis sucks, but the warning is still valid.  I'll see if I can find info about the planned location of the rally, because AP helpfully omitted that.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Portland OR forecast for Saturday 8/17/19: dueling far-right vs antifa
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »
Indeed.  Could get interesting as Portland Mayor is under great pressure not to let ANTIFA off this time.  Here is his statement:

https://youtu.be/0XZjwEaZtas

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 02:45:24 PM »
Dammit!  Guess where I'm going? 

Good thing I keep a rifle up there.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
Stay safe and away from all these jackasses, everybody. Don't want to be between 2 violent mobs in a position where the police might not help. And both mobs are the type to kick someone who is down.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 03:37:39 PM »
The rally is organized by Joe Biggs and is called "End to Domestic Terrorism".

Article from last week (8/8) in The Oregonian: Mixed messages, mounting tensions as Proud Boys and antifa prepare to face off in Portland

The Proud Boys plan to assemble by the fountain at Tom McCall Waterfront Park and also march in the city, Tarrio said in an interview. They haven’t obtained any permits to do so.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 04:52:26 PM »
I won't be going, due to lack of interest...... ;D

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 05:38:39 PM »
I’ll be watching for Antifa black shirt fascists overflowing past Sylvan Hill.

It is hilarious that Portland Mayor is calling on other State LEAs to assist when the mayor told his own police force to stand down last time. He just wants more company in the dog house so Gov. Brown will back him up more in the press.

Maybe the Feds will finally classify Antifa as a terrorist organization and start stomping on them. I’m sure they are sick of the Mayor letting Antifa terrorize federal employees at the downtown Federal Bldg. 

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 06:58:35 PM »
The rally is organized by Joe Biggs and is called "End to Domestic Terrorism".

Article from last week (8/8) in The Oregonian: Mixed messages, mounting tensions as Proud Boys and antifa prepare to face off in Portland

I don’t have the impression that Joe Biggs or the proud boys consider themselves to be white supremasts or that they call for violence. That is just my impression. I’ve heard a little about them but I don’t follow every new detail or development in what is going on

I did hear one time that they where attacked by antifa and when they fought back they where arrested. I do get the impression that antifa gets away with a lot of things

I do see that there is much out there on the proud boys but it seems a lot of it comes from other sources than themselves,. There are also black and Latino members but the media is still trying say it is a white supremist group . On the other hand they say every one is white supermist. Unless you want to strangle trump with your bare hands then you are white superemist
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:24:34 PM by surfivor »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »
Well there are these articles that try to paint the proud boys as a violent gang. Wikipedia also says Gavin McGinnis has repeatedly called for political violence. I’m not aware of that and a google search of him does not pull up any glaring examples and neither does a search of joe Biggs. I could be missing some but I haven’t seen that

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 02:23:05 PM »
This is being laughed at and glossed over but I see it as a major concern. Both clips contain foul language.

First note that ANTIFA has developed the "black block" strategy where they assault someone and then slink back into the crowd anonymously. Andy Ngo is attacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WzMZxT-41k

Then we see "Patriot Front" stage a protest of some kind of communist book shop (if I got the story right). Watch the video and they are pretty good at scaring people. More important they know how to stand and even have a planned procedure to clear the area which is very organized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_Ufwhqiz8

Unfortunately both sides are adapting strategic cohesive fighting strategies. These "protests" are nothing but planned assaults. I wouldn't go near either. But maybe it helps to recognize their formulas. Be safe if in the area.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 04:01:40 PM »
There has been a lot of chatter recently among Oath Keepers.  Apparently the recent shooter at the ICE facility in San Antonio Texas was another John Brown/Redneck Revolt member.  This makes four such attacks.   In response Oath Keepers leadership sent out the following: "All Oath Keepers, get your gear ready and prepare to defend ICE and CBP offices and facilities nationwide.  You should expect more far left terrorism."   Reports are they are 'more than prepared' to confront JB/RR in both Portland this weekend and El Paso on Sept. 1.

If you cherish your health, stay away from these events!

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 01:01:12 AM »
I took care of business on the west side of the river early so I can avoid getting close to the mayhem this weekend.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 02:08:16 PM »
I have to be on the East side Sat morning. Hoping no violence or protesters spills over into the freeways like they have before, or Rose qtr.

Just yesterday a friend narrowly avoided a shopping cart in the fast lane where a homeless camp is uphill from the Jersey barrier. Apparently they have to cross the three lanes of freeway 1-84 to get to and from their camp. So the “PORTLAND danger” is not just Antifa, but all sorts of homeless detritus spilling onto the freeways now.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 12:33:08 PM »
Good news.  Oathkeepers reported they are pulling out.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »
Why is that good?

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »
Why is that good?

ANTIFA is too stupid not to attack them. That would result in them being wiped out.  Media will portray it right wing attacks on "peaceful" college students.  There will be calls for more crazy laws...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »
Info from The Oregonian.  This page is getting frequent updates.

Portland protests: 13 arrested as police declare civil disturbance (live updates)

Sounds like violence has been pretty minor, and the police were effective at keeping the two groups separated.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 01:38:12 AM »
I have to be on the East side Sat morning. Hoping no violence or protesters spills over into the freeways like they have before, or Rose qtr.

Just yesterday a friend narrowly avoided a shopping cart in the fast lane where a homeless camp is uphill from the Jersey barrier. Apparently they have to cross the three lanes of freeway 1-84 to get to and from their camp. So the “PORTLAND danger” is not just Antifa, but all sorts of homeless detritus spilling onto the freeways now.

I’ve escaped south of the border, but you’re not kidding about people on the interstates in OR, I’ve had half a dozen close encounters in just the last three days.  I don’t see that kind of lunacy in CA.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 08:00:33 AM »
Huge PR win for the proud boys.  They protested without any violence and cleared out at end

ANTIFA on the other hand threatened journalists, clashed with police, and again fanned out afterwards and beat the heck out of random citizens.  In particular, journalists are getting very fed up with ANTIFA's actions:

https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosas11/status/1162795396738928640?s=19

Example of ANTIFA assaults:

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1162844384141832192?s=19

Hundreds like these have been reported.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:10:34 AM by iam4liberty »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 11:46:28 AM »

Ive heard people defend antifa claiming they are not violent but they obviously look like they want to be very anonymous with black ski masks and all

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2019, 12:34:09 PM »
Ive heard people defend antifa claiming they are not violent

What planet are they from?  One has to be very distant from reality to believe this.  Or they are just being disengenuous for political reasons.

Tim Pool coverage with same conclusion: https://youtu.be/_TK4OmijOOI.  Brilliant move by PBs and others. Now they can always take the high road; organize a peaceful march and then chill at a barbacue while watching ANTIFA riot.  If this keeps up ANTIFA is going to win Trump a second term and probably return the house to republicans.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2019, 03:13:55 PM »
What planet are they from?  One has to be very distant from reality to believe this.  Or they are just being disengenuous for political reasons.

Tim Pool coverage with same conclusion: https://youtu.be/_TK4OmijOOI.  Brilliant move by PBs and others. Now they can always take the high road; organize a peaceful march and then chill at a barbacue while watching ANTIFA riot.  If this keeps up ANTIFA is going to win Trump a second term and probably return the house to republicans.

They basically said that they went to a rally and saw antifa there and there was no violence. They then accused me of promoting right wing talking points because I implied antifa engages in or promotes violence

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Veteran
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »
They basically said that they went to a rally and saw antifa there and there was no violence. They then accused me of promoting right wing talking points because I implied antifa engages in or promotes violence

Maybe tell them you went to the park and saw some police and there was no abuse.  Therefore police abuse doesnt occur.  See how that goes over.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 08:21:41 AM »
Maybe tell them you went to the park and saw some police and there was no abuse.  Therefore police abuse doesnt occur.  See how that goes over.

hey, don't try using logic on me now