Author Topic: The Digital TV Swap  (Read 4995 times)

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
The Digital TV Swap
« on: June 13, 2009, 03:08:27 PM »
I didn't see a topic on the forum dedicated to the DTV switch that happened on the 12th, so I figured one might be useful.

Those of us with hi-def televisions will see a much-improved picture quality (strangely though, IMHO the ARIRANG network from Korea in 480i looks amazing compared to local hi-def stations) and many more free channels over the air. Those of you with standard-def sets using a converter box will benefit from improved reception and additional channels. There seem to be a few analog stations still on the air. One is broadcasting a "What to do" for people who haven't made the switch. There are also five or six foreign language channels that were continuing to broadcast in analog. Rebels? Unlicensed stations?

Troubleshooting for DTV owners:
This morning (the 13th) I turned on my digital TV (Samsung T260HD) and couldn't get any of the digital channels, despite having a bunch come in clearly before the switch. This was resolved by re-scanning the channels. The set also picked up a bunch of new digital channels.

If you have an analog TV set:
Those of you that don't have a TV with a digital tuner or Cable or Satellite service will need a converter box. There are many models available at every big box store, but the most basic are going for ~$40. The government is handing out coupons here: https://www.dtv2009.gov/. You can apply for two at a time and each is worth $40.

Background Info:
General FAQ's and info: http://www.dtv.gov/
More concise and technical info: http://www.dtv.gov/

Hope this was helpful!

Offline Remington

• Survivor
Re: The Digital TV Swap
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »
Folks, this is a great time to do away with the propaganda box.

Instead of upgrading to D-TV, why not spend the extra money on preparation, and take all of that time where you watch reruns and spend some time with your family instead.

I haven't upgraded, and I whole heatedly recommend the same course of action to anyone else interested in becoming more productive in life.

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
Folks, this is a great time to do away with the propaganda box.

Instead of upgrading to D-TV, why not spend the extra money on preparation, and take all of that time where you watch reruns and spend some time with your family instead.

I haven't upgraded, and I whole heatedly recommend the same course of action to anyone else interested in becoming more productive in life.

That's a good point. However, with a coupon the total cost of conversion will be gas to the store + a couple of bucks. Not too bad.

It is nice to have TV available though, the local news would be helpful if SHTF in a way that radio might be limited - pictures are worth a thousand words.

I listen to AM radio most of the time and I'll never have to upgrade my equipment for that.

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »
I am still laughing at the K-looless people who didn't know the switch was coming.  There were two older ladies complaining that they couldn't watch their "story" because the TV didn't work.

How do you miss this information if you watch TV enough to follow a story.

I like to have the History channel on while I'm programming so I have cable.  I am going to miss the TV band on my radio when we are at the cabin.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »
What amazed me was the number of people unprepared for this long publicised event, that was even delayed once.

Can you imagine the magnitude of unpreparedness for an unexpected, seriously dangerous event?  It scares me to even ponder the implications. :'(

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 12:45:27 AM »
What amazed me was the number of people unprepared for this long publicised event, that was even delayed once.

Can you imagine the magnitude of unpreparedness for an unexpected, seriously dangerous event?  It scares me to even ponder the implications. :'(

I think most people won't prepare for anything that isn't pounding on their door. Now that all you get is snow, you'll have to switch.

Also, that second link for more concise info was supposed to be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_television

Offline yrone

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:49:58 AM »
Wife said she heard that the FCC got 300k phone calls after the conversion. Looking at the news on the wire its more like 800k :-) Its only been excessively advertised for 2 years or so.

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 11:10:20 AM »
Wife said she heard that the FCC got 300k phone calls after the conversion. Looking at the news on the wire its more like 800k :-) Its only been excessively advertised for 2 years or so.
Maybe they should have had large chested half-nekked models jumping on trampolines while a three voice announcer declared:
"Sunday.  Sunday!  SUNDAY! Digital Television!  See Truckzilla.  Old TVs won't work.  Get a converter.  They Jump.  They Fly! Kids half price!"

Makes you wonder if the beprepared.gov commercials are paid attention to by anyone.

Fred_47460

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 11:49:44 AM »
Maybe they should have had large chested half-nekked models jumping on trampolines while a three voice announcer declared:
"Sunday.  Sunday!  SUNDAY! Digital Television!  See Truckzilla.  Old TVs won't work.  Get a converter.  They Jump.  They Fly! Kids half price!"

That would definitely get MY attention!!

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 11:58:58 AM »
Backstory: My grandpa got cable when it first came to our city, circa 1981, I was hooked. I had cable untill I moved in 2004. Now I have an antenna. I dont miss it at all.

What pisses me off is that every where you turn, you hear, The poor, the minorieties, the dis-enfranchised, the underprivlaged.

Last time I checked there is no contitutional right to TV. Next thing you will hear is we have to buy the poor new tvs because the boxes are to complex. But it will be a stimulus to the econemy, because we are going to get them 42" LCDs, but nevermind that they are made in China.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »
I decided not to get the converter box. Nothing on TV I want to watch and my kids dont need to watch the crap they like.