Author Topic: Dynamo Radio  (Read 3684 times)

Offline IRKCOD

• Prepper
  • Be Prepared
Dynamo Radio
« on: October 24, 2008, 03:42:31 AM »
Recently acquired 2 of these for inclusion in my kit

Had initially come across them in PNG.   They were originally developed by Trevor Baylis, a UK inventor, who developed them for use in remote African locations.

Have road tested it, and found it works grand.    Should be useful in case of a 'natural' emergency.

The radio includes the following features

1 FM band
2 AM band
3 SW1 - short wave able to receive international transmissions
4 SW2 - short wave able to receive international transmissions
5 LED torch
6 NO BATTERIES required, this is a dynamo operated device. A handle allows you to charge the batteries and will keep the device working for ages.The device working for over 2 hours on a 30 second wind, much more than the manufacturers themselves claim.

Can also be used with batteries or power adaptor

Offline DrGonzo

• Survivor
    • Zombie Squad
Re: Dynamo Radio
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 11:05:34 AM »
Pics?  Links?  Price?

Offline IRKCOD

• Prepper
  • Be Prepared
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:05:45 AM »

Dynamo Radio

NZ$27.95
http://survival-nz.com/images/large/Radio

You may find the same type of Radio on your eBay
 :) :) :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline aslink

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 12:08:10 AM »
I have one of these as well and it does work great. I know have it in BOB. I used it for a long time as a bathroom radio to listen to news while I showered. It seems due to the SW function of the radio the FM comes in stronger. It's just nice to have something as a backup in case of power outage.

Ken

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:27:14 PM »
It should be noted that you can put batteries in this. It takes 3 of them though - that odd number makes it hard to recharge the batteries.

I listen to the podcast with this radio. I have a FM transmitter jacked into the computer, and turn on the show while I am making lunch.

I have used mine a fair bit. It picked up a 'tick' in the crank, like I busted a tooth in the gearing. I haven't taken it apart yet, but the 'tick' seems to be getting better. It doesn't feel like it's eminently going to break anymore.

I have just two words for it.

LOVE IT!

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 08:59:04 PM »
I have the Kaito KA009 http://www.amazon.com/Kaito-KA009-Powerd-Emergency-Radio/dp/B000E68282/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231214023&sr=8-1, very similar to the one above, but this one cost a bit more... $35 I think.  It works pretty good, very handy to have when the power goes out.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »
The little Dynamos have always appealed to me but I was given a BayGen radio that is about as tough as a tank. The downside is that it is only AM/FM and I need another radio for SW. If I had my rathers, I would like to see a tough BayGen radio that could pick up not only SW but the TV channels as well. Not sure if anyone has ever noticed or not, but in an emergency, local television has a tendency to be more on top of things than radio stations. I think many radio stations are preprogrammed somewhere other than the local market and it takes longer for them to react.

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 05:34:06 AM »
This just occurred to me:
We are about to switch from analog to digital broadcast TV... and when that happens, my radio will no longer be able to receive TV stations!

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »
This just occurred to me:
We are about to switch from analog to digital broadcast TV... and when that happens, my radio will no longer be able to receive TV stations!

The 1600 biggest stations are changing over in February. The last I have read, the remaining little stations will remain on analog for an unknown amount of time. So, if your out in the sticks, you should be ok for a little while.

Makes you want to get a hand crank AM/FM/Shortwave/Longwave/Digital TV radio now, eh?