Author Topic: Confessions: Dumb prepping stuff you bought or did  (Read 37696 times)

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Confessions: Dumb prepping stuff you bought or did
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 11:46:06 PM »
Also rushed out after Obama was elected to get my semi-auto pistol.  Yes it's useful and there's not really a reason to not have a firearm, but in my state, there's little chance of me ever getting a carry permit.  But it's pretty stupid to rush out to get a pistol just because the asshole-in-chief has changed.

True if that is the only reason you got it. Or you got a compact model for carry that may never happen instead of a larger one for home defense.

But, if you planned to get it eventually, then expediting the purchase would not have been a bad idea.  Depending on the model it may not have been available again for another couple of years due to other people stocking up.  And those were dark days.  We had just had TARP bailouts which should have caused tar and feather riots and seemed sure to crash the economy.  And we just elected a Marxist trained nobody.  There could have been a lot more civil disruptions and violence.  So not unreasonable to add some personal "insurance" in such troubled times.

After the primaries in 2007 I figured it was bad either way so I started accelerating my purchases I had planned for the next few years.  I got AR15s and mags completed just before the election.  While everyone was buying up AR15s I was buying rifle and handgun ammo.  By the time the masses were cleaning out shelves of ammo I was increasing stocks of reloading components.  When those next started being depleted I was buying bricks of Blazer and CCI Mini-Mag .22LR for $15/$18.  So I stayed about 3-6 months ahead of the crowd, buying stuff at the then "normal" prices.  Most of it has come back down to near the same prices ($800-$900 for quality AR15, $15/50 .40S&W FMJ ammo) except for the .22LR.  Most pistols are selling for $50-$100 more than they did in 2008.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 04:26:32 AM »
     It's not the types of individual items, it's the amount. I'm probably borderline obsessive about my "hobby", but I have more "survival kits" than I have pairs of socks. My wife calls my workshop "Aisle Five", as in a sporting goods store. Shelves full of supplies; if it hits the fan, we'd need a semi to bug out. I seem to have developed the ability to fit ten pounds into a five pound bag, as it were. I've never regretted the purchases, have at one time or another used (or at least thought about using) them. I'm pretty sure I can make everything work and everything seems to be useful (or might be in a SHTF scenario). 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 08:13:21 AM »
I think most of my regret buying is in tool purchases and such, not food supplies and such.
Those handy gizmos that looked handy at the time, but got store in a shop drawer and never used. There's thirty bucks spent you'll never get back, type of purchases

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:57 AM »
Everyone needs doodads! NEEEEEEEDS.....

Or more drawers to store them in. I have too many campfire cooking devices, etc. that are not helpful, useful or necessary. Telescoping grilled cheese maker...what was I thinking.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
 :rofl: :facepalm: :rofl:

I'm in the process of eliminating.  Ebay and Craigslist.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 02:49:11 PM »
You remember back in the early 2000's?  When the really bright tactical lights were an eye-searing couple hundred lumens and cost $$$ from SureFire?  And they burned through non-rechargeable batteries that cost $$?

Well, I've still got $$$$'s worth of that stuff.  Lights, weapon lights, shotgun forend light, vertical foregrip lights, 300+ CR123 cells.  Stupid!!!

cell them in CPF....I bet half of them will go easily at a good price and fast.
I sold my regular C2 flashlight in a few minutes!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 07:20:19 PM »
True if that is the only reason you got it. Or you got a compact model for carry that may never happen instead of a larger one for home defense.
Yep, the main reason I bought it was that Obama got into office.  Would I have gotten it anyway?  Maybe.  But the main reason was Obama.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »
Storage food I never ate.  I probably donated 20 lbs of dried beans I had stored to the food bank.  We don't eat a ton of beans and preparing the dried ones was a lot of work when "wet" cans are ready to eat.

I still keep some in rotation, but that was taking a lot of space I didn't have.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
We've decided to cut way back on the beans, after finding some that were like granite.  :facepalm:

Cooked em and still coulda used em to pave the driveway with.

So no more 5 gallon buckets of em

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
We've decided to cut way back on the beans, after finding some that were like granite.  :facepalm:

Cooked em and still coulda used em to pave the driveway with.

So no more 5 gallon buckets of em

When coarse ground and brought to a boil,then left to soak 2 hours before boil again the beans can be palatable.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 10:36:29 AM »
Thanks. Yes read that somewhere. May have been you, don't remember.  ;D

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
made the mistake to store canned food in a storage room away from a house. I even made 1-day food packets.
And then forgot about them for 5+ years.
I ate the spam, but the other foods had the ingredients fuse together (the rice was colored by the rest of the incredients) Safe to eat but disgusting,

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 11:47:36 AM »

I think I used to do stuff like start buckwheat under grow lights in February .. That seems silly now but I had no gardening experience at the time.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 01:04:50 PM »
cell them in CPF....I bet half of them will go easily at a good price and fast.
I sold my regular C2 flashlight in a few minutes!

I need to check that out.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
I may have overstocked on good quality sheath knives at EIGHT..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PGZ0130/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

and 4 of

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CBWQ0C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and 10 of the Moras

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SROLRDK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but I don't need to sharpen the whole bunch very often....and they are good trade goods...

Offline rogersorders

• Survivor
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 09:01:26 PM »
Butterfly, double burner, kerosene stove, with "oven" and Butterfly kerosene lamp. I hate the smell of kerosene, I live in suburbia, I'm in the military and move every 2-4 years. Not only is it impractical because I can't store/move a fuel that I never use but I have to see this big box of stuff every time we move.

Sun Oven. Not a bad thing, used it a few times. Really more of a novelty than anything else. But if the power ever goes out and I have to cook and the sun's out, I'll be good.

This is a great thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 01:32:36 AM »
I just finished a much needed ammo inventory and discovered 5000 rounds of 12ga 00 buck.  This is what happens when your stimulus to start prepping is being freaked out about Y2k, can only afford a Walmart riot gun, and you use DOOM as your reference guide for firearms purchases.   What the hell was I thinking? 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
I just finished a much needed ammo inventory and discovered 5000 rounds of 12ga 00 buck.  This is what happens when your stimulus to start prepping is being freaked out about Y2k, can only afford a Walmart riot gun, and you use DOOM as your reference guide for firearms purchases.   What the hell was I thinking?

I keep a few boxes of heavy buckshot just because.  I am also guilty of buying walmart 12ga shells, but usually the target loads when they are $19.99 for 100 rounds.  I also have a couple boxes of clay pigeons when I found them for $4.99/box.    I guess during the apocalypse #9 target might work on little stuff like squirrels :)

Slightly off topic, but I don't recommend firing a primed, but empty shotshell.  I had a few boxes of very old (1970s?) shotshell primers someone gave me, and I manually inserted them into some spent shells.  While the primer did fire, it made a foul mess of the chamber and barrel.  Look like it sat in a campfire for an hour.  It also ruined the plastic shell, as the sides partially melted.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »
Butterfly, double burner, kerosene stove, with "oven" and Butterfly kerosene lamp. I hate the smell of kerosene, I live in suburbia, I'm in the military and move every 2-4 years. Not only is it impractical because I can't store/move a fuel that I never use but I have to see this big box of stuff every time we move.

Sun Oven. Not a bad thing, used it a few times. Really more of a novelty than anything else. But if the power ever goes out and I have to cook and the sun's out, I'll be good.

This is a great thread. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

On the Sun Oven, pull it out this year and try and use it all the time, once you get used to the rythm in the summer it is a huge timesaver, and keeps from overheating the house. I used my first one so much, I bought a second. A sun oven will work like a crock-pot or like a bread maker for setting and leaving, when you aren't home.   For times when you are around the house, you can make quicker items like hard boiled eggs or cookies.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2017, 10:59:38 AM »
I like cookies. :P

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
Knives.

I went through a decade where I had to have every pocket knife. I can't even guess at the numbers or the cost but I've got piles of Kershaws, Benchmades, Spydercos, Sogs, Gerbers, CRKTs, 5.11s, Bokers, Ka-Bars, S&Ws, etc.

And then I hit a wall. It's just silly to keep buying knives once you have working ones that will outlive you. It was this forum and some real help from folks like Freelancer and Carl who got me to pare down to a Swiss Army Outrider for EDC and a Mora for garden work. If I want a tactical knife I'll lean on my Sog Trident or a CRKT M21-14SF depending on the blade size I want.

The remaining knives are in a box (or given away to friends).

LVWood

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
I just donated blood and helped myself to TWO cookies.  I also got my vitals taken for free.
Such a deal...

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
On the Sun Oven, pull it out this year and try and use it all the time, once you get used to the rythm in the summer it is a huge timesaver, and keeps from overheating the house. I used my first one so much, I bought a second. A sun oven will work like a crock-pot or like a bread maker for setting and leaving, when you aren't home.   For times when you are around the house, you can make quicker items like hard boiled eggs or cookies.

I need to get mine up on a table. And maybe make a lazy susan for it. Somewhere we have the lazy susan hardware. I should set it up in the unheated greenhouse now and see how it works.

WRT to beans, freshness makes a huge difference. I noticed this first when I bought some fancy pants beans from Rancho Gordo, and then when I started buying bulk beans from Azure Standard. Often if I soak them, they fall apart in the recommended cooking time. Grocery store beans have generally been in the food distribution system for so long they do become like rocks.

My biggest mistakes so far are all the things I've bought and then bought again because I forgot/couldn't find the original.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 02:40:13 PM »
I just donated blood and helped myself to TWO cookies.  I also got my vitals taken for free.
Such a deal...

How much blood will get me two cookies? I like cookies.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »
How much blood will get me two cookies? I like cookies.

1 pint apparently.  I should have asked for a pint of beer.  That would have gone further than usual given the reduced blood supply  :beer:

LVWood

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 02:45:34 PM »
Good thinking...
Cookies will do though.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 02:48:27 PM »
Would it have to be MY blood?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »
Would it have to be MY blood?

Your blood is no good here.  But I'm happy to donate on behalf of folks who are unable.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 05:37:53 PM »
Could a guy that used to be called the cookie monster, get some cookies without bleeding all over the place?  :excited: