Author Topic: Is it even possible? Conversion question!  (Read 1903 times)

Offline zeek

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Is it even possible? Conversion question!
« on: December 01, 2016, 09:08:23 AM »
I have an old, like 1974 Sears 200 Watt generator that runs off of a Tecumseh engine, gasoline obviously.  How would I go about converting it to run on propane?  Does the old age matter?  I have read a good bit on storing gasoline and frankly it seems like too much of a pain, especially when I a 500 Lb propane thank that is hooked up to an empty trailer on the farm..why store gas?  Maybe I should just buy a propane genset?  Opinions?
Thanks
Zeek

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Re: Is it even possible? Conversion question!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:30:32 AM »
You can, Google is your friend.  But a new genset would be simpler and longer lasting.  Propane is dry and hard on valves and valve seats.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »
Conversion is possible and usually pretty simple. You may or may not be able to find a bolt on kit. If not, then it's usually just drilling and tapping a certain location on the carb for a gas fitting. You might want to do some research on fuel consumption for propane powered generators...they will empty a 500 gallon tank much more quickly than you might expect.

Engines last longer when run on propane vs gasoline because it is a cleaner fuel. The downside is that propane does not contain as much energy as gasoline, and that you will lose approximately 25-30% of the power output of the converted generator as a result.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »
With the age of that unit, is it a 4 stroke?  Oil may be the issue.