Author Topic: What interesting ham stuff did you do today?  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
What interesting ham stuff did you do today?
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
Similar to the "What did you do today to prep?" thread, I thought it'd be interesting for folks to occasionally comment on projects they are working on, or anything else of interest.

I'll start...

Last weekend I added an 80 meter wire to my balun.  It's such a rats nest of wire up in my attic, it's a minor miracle things work as well as they do.

I was able to hit a Winlink station 200 miles away, so TX works, but otherwise no QSOs.  Heard a lot of obnoxious rag chew and jamming.

I think I messed up my 10 meter sloping V, as I can no longer hear local beacons.  Gotta climb back up and see if I knocked something loose...

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: What interesting ham stuff did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »
I followed up with emails and messages concerning the latest show...
I also received my very first Pi2 for future air-traffic monitoring (pray for me)  ;)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »
Last night my wife asked me what the point of this hobby was. 
She commented "if you just want to find crazy people to talk to, you don't need to contact someone three states away with hundreds of dollars in radio gear".

I'm still crafting my response...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:42:15 AM »
I spent most of several days introducing a new Ham as I directed and he built his own VHF/UHF antenna and we got him an inexpensive but very functional mobile antenna..and I also introduced him to HF radio and digital communications as he was a gulf war vet and learned fast he also operated my main radio with good skill and success as he only has a baofeng HT for now,but is interested in weather chasing and emergency communications. It does many good things to promote the skill and hobby for a man with the desire to aide others.

I believe in paying forward and supporting my hobby as much as I am able.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »
Last night my wife asked me what the point of this hobby was. 
She commented "if you just want to find crazy people to talk to, you don't need to contact someone three states away with hundreds of dollars in radio gear".

I'm still crafting my response...

Tell her that with the radio,you don't have to meet your friends in a bar to talk to them....

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:05:15 PM »
Attended monthly city emcomm team meeting.
Heard city employees BITCH about AMRRON deploying to the fires in eastern WA.  I didn't even know these folks knew of AMRRON let alone had opinions.

Lots more drama than usual.  Maybe time I shut up and just pay attention.  Very weird evening...

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 07:42:32 PM »
What did they say about AMRRON? Crazy survivalist?  Crazy Christian survivalist who mad them look bad?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »
Apparently official folks have been listening to the podcasts.

Government  folks claim AMRRON drove around a barricade and setup shop in a restricted area.  I wasn't there, so won't take a side.  However if that did happen, I can empathize with officials, as that's more folks who could get into harms way.

I also recall some eye rollin comment about "guns".

The biggest takeaway is that the emergency management community now has AMRRON on their radar.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:34:51 PM »
Apparently official folks have been listening to the podcasts.

Government  folks claim AMRRON drove around a barricade and setup shop in a restricted area.  I wasn't there, so won't take a side.  However if that did happen, I can empathize with officials, as that's more folks who could get into harms way.

I also recall some eye rollin comment about "guns".

The biggest takeaway is that the emergency management community now has AMRRON on their radar.

Want to hear the other viewpoint of that story?? Download from my Google Drive as I forgot where the link is.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ZIZLZV4AwIczRVSjJCT1NBeHc/view?usp=sharing

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 09:44:18 PM »
Audio file is huge and I can't get it to play. On the Partisan Podcast they said they arrived minutes before the barricade went up and were given a place to operate by the mayor.  Jhon  ripped AARL and ARES on the podcast for doing nothing and being bureaucratic jerks.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Audio file is huge and I can't get it to play. On the Partisan Podcast they said they arrived minutes before the barricade went up and were given a place to operate by the mayor.  Jhon  ripped AARL and ARES on the podcast for doing nothing and being bureaucratic jerks.
\
YES,the file is over 56 Meg and you DOWNLOAD it as MP3 and as I take no sides...The ARRL,ARES only act when invited into an area . While AMRON just went in ,around UN-MANNED barricades and YES they were ARMED...as they told in their podcast what things they did to help,and I agree ,from their story ,they did help...but I have to add that responders MUST ACT AS PART OF THE SYSTEM so as to not disrupt the flow of GOVERNMENTIUM...IE , the professionals got it handled and you are just in the way and disrupting the way we work and endangering yourselves ,and others....(NO ...this is really how they think...not how I think but you have to do things their way to do what help you are trying to do) I work WITH Homeland Defence since my early work during KATRINA where much good was done...I had to prove myself and did so ,under much stress (see FOTIME podcast #24)

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 05:39:36 AM »
I did some antenna work yesterday.

Removed the 2m Yagi from the Barn Peak.  Added a Big Stick in it's place.  It will be dedicated to APRS/Packet.  Relocated the 220 j-pole and replaced the coax with a shorter section with less slack (cq106 from Wireman).  Also installed my Scantenna up there on the Peak for better 'ears'.

cleaned up all runs and also worked on the entrance for cabling.