Author Topic: Factory sights vs Tech sights?  (Read 7241 times)

Offline sofasurfer

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Factory sights vs Tech sights?
« on: June 05, 2015, 09:25:33 PM »
On another post I read that factory sights on a Ruger 10/22 are adequate and that Tech Sights are better. Why are factory sights so bad and why are Tech sights better? Which tech sight is a good deal when money is tight?
I'm going to an Appleseed shoot and am going to use iron sights. Why are the ones the gun came with considered bad?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
Re: Factory sights vs Tech sights?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:08:30 PM »
Tech sights have a peep rear, which is more instinctual and faster to aim, and the rear sight is mounted on the back of the receiver, extending the sight radius (distance between sights) which makes it easier to aim. The farther apart the sights are, the more obvious small misalignments become. I believe the company is Tech Sights. There are other options, but the real deal Techs seem to be a pretty sure bet on a great product.

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 08:28:49 AM »
In addition to the short sight radius 16RR noted above, the main disadvantage is the lack of any reasonable adjustability of the 10/22 sights.  Tech Sights are "click adjustable", as opposed to the stock sights having to be loosened and drifted, with no option for repeatable adjustment.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 09:08:49 AM »
Original sights are OK ,
Tech sites better ,
and for me,the 1 MOA red dot for about $20 is the best for low light ,day light...both eyes open fast and accurate game shooting.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:10:12 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but when using a factory setup 10/22 the stock will not allow me to get my head down far enough to even line up the factory sights in my vision.

They might as well not be there.

They are "adequate" in terms of being present and no worse than the same open rear/bead front that has been offered as the cheapest thing a manufacturer can get away with putting on a firearm for the past 200 years.

To use irons I have to either have a different stock or different sights, but that is a moot point since I put optics on the 10/22 as soon as I buy one.

nelson96

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 11:58:51 AM »
I don't know about anyone else, but when using a factory setup 10/22 the stock will not allow me to get my head down far enough to even line up the factory sights in my vision.

I can't even imagine why that would be the case.  I'm trying to picture the size and shape of a head that wouldn't allow some sort of way to see through a factory 10/22 BUIS system.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 12:52:30 PM »
I can't even imagine why that would be the case.  I'm trying to picture the size and shape of a head that wouldn't allow some sort of way to see through a factory 10/22 BUIS system.
cross dominant and not aware?  I've seen that a few times...

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 10:27:59 PM »
That's strange!!

I'm not "cross dominant" on any of the other firearms I own or have ever used!

I just am not comfortable with the factory 10/22 stock.

But apparently there is a rule that nothing negative can ever be said about a 10/22. 

Really guys, that factory stock sucks and is usually the first thing replaced when upgrading a 10/22.

d3nni5

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »

They might as well not be there.

They are "adequate" in terms of being present and no worse than the same open rear/bead front that has been offered as the cheapest thing a manufacturer can get away with putting on a firearm for the past 200 years.

To use irons I have to either have a different stock or different sights, but that is a moot point since I put optics on the 10/22 as soon as I buy one.

Same problem here.   Length of pull problems for me with it scoped too.   All in all, the only issue I have w/ my 10/22.

Offline blacktalon606

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »
On another post I read that factory sights on a Ruger 10/22 are adequate and that Tech Sights are better. Why are factory sights so bad and why are Tech sights better? Which tech sight is a good deal when money is tight?
I'm going to an Appleseed shoot and am going to use iron sights. Why are the ones the gun came with considered bad?

I have always hated ruler 10/22 factory sights. I ordered tech sites and I am now a 100% convert. They are better in every way.

Also, the t-100 sights are basically m1 sights and the 200 series are an ar apiture. Thus, the sight picture is directly applicable to a battle rifle.

Offline Scojo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 01:04:59 AM »
I put the 200 series on an older 10/22 that I had around for plinking and my shooting with that rifle improved with just that change, same cheap, dirty ammo, etc. It didn't magically turn into a tack driver, but was noticeably easier to shoot well.