Author Topic: Finding people for back-up locations  (Read 2761 times)

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
Finding people for back-up locations
« on: November 25, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
So I know it's a good idea to have friends/family that live nearby that you can "bug out"  to in case of a localized/personal disaster, who will let you just crash on their couch for a couple nights until you get shit straight or your neighborhood is livable again.

Problem is, I have no real close friends, my only family this side of the Mississippi is the family I live with, and I'm at a point in life (20 years old, no fixed address, going to college on the other side of the Rockies next fall) where it's fairly difficult to make those kinds of permanent connections.

So does anybody have any ideas on how to find good like minded people for a bug out/fallback location? And other mutual support for that matter?

Especially once I head off to college next fall when my nearest family will be 1100 miles away and I won't know *anybody* at all there. But this really applies to anybody that just moved or is in a point in life where they move a lot.

endurance

Re: Finding people for back-up locations
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »
There's no magic formula.  There's no secret handshake.  Networking isn't some technical mojo-guru stuff.  Building community isn't an esoteric idea that is taught in the halls of higher education.

It's about making friends and building the strength of those friendships with time.  Maybe you know someone a few days and you see them drunk off their butts and about to get themselves into trouble and you help them safely home.  Would you invite that person into your home during a disaster?  Nope, it takes time to build the kind of trust you're talking about.  It takes time to become a member of community that people value.  But it doesn't take a lifetime.  Trust is often doled out in increments, you're their when they need you to help them move, they're there for you three months later when you need a ride home at 3:00am because of a fight with your girlfriend.  You help them get home when their car breaks down and they loan you a few bucks when your CV joint fails.

The more people you know, the more you offer to help, the more you accept their help in little doses rather than big gulps, the more trust that builds.  IMHO, there's no real shortcuts unless you somehow go through hell together, see each other through thick and thin, then return to normal for a while.  Those people will always be the ones you drop everything for, even if you're not getting along that week.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:29:42 PM »
Sounds like I need to start working on socializing with people outside of the internet. That'll be a lot easier when I'm in school again.

Still not super easy because I'm kind of an introvert.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:45:31 AM »
So does anybody have any ideas on how to find good like minded people for a bug out/fallback location? And other mutual support for that matter?
RC, like E said, there aren't any secret handshakes.  However... there are some ice breakers that will get a conversation rolling and help you meet these people.

I have one friend who will leave a copy of a survivalist book laying around on her coffee table when somebody's coming over.  Not at a big party where group snide comment will take over, but at lower-key things such as having a friend or two over for coffee or drinks.  If there's an adverse reaction, she'll pass it off as "Oh, my crazy right-wing father sent that to me this week" and it's forgotten and things roll on.  Otherwise, it'll get the conversation rolling.

After that, there are certain activities, hobbies, and clubs that attract the survival minded.  (If it has its own sub-forum here, it's a good bet!)  Shooting sports, obviously.  Hiking and mountain biking to some extent, which naturally leads into camping which is another good one.  Does a local bike club put on any multi-day touring rides?  Organic gardening.  If you can segue a conversation from gardening into solar power to run the garden's pumps, you've got a conversation started right there.  And ham radio.  Oh man, does ham radio ever bring in some survival-minded people who are ready to talk.  But meeting people and striking up a prepping conversation can happen while volunteering at a food bank, you never know.

The two big groups to be careful about pertain to anti-survival ideologues (primarily of the hard Left in my experience, but not always), and the single-skill people.  Some people equate any kind of prepping with racism, radical politics, etc.  You have to learn to identify them quickly, and from then on just be the grey man around them.  Don't engage them in any way outside of "normal" everyday chit-chat.  You're not going to argue them out of 20+ years of indoctrination, but you can blow your OPSEC and have nasty rumors spread about you.  And then there are the single-skill people.  You can learn a few things from bike racing, ham contesting, and at gun matches, but it's not the same as learning about backup transportation, emergency communications, or gunfighting.  Be careful not to get sucked into other people's artificially competitive sub-hobbies, unless you happen to really enjoy that sub-hobby too.  Try to have fun and stay balanced across activities.

Anyway, I hope that gives you some ideas.  Mostly, meeting like-minded people is a matter of listening, then putting out a little bit of information, listening some more, wash rinse repeat.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:07:01 AM »
I tend not to look for preppers anymore. Most good people would give you the shirt off their back if you were in need. I'd rather have four or five friends and neighbors who I really liked and got along with than one prepper who's a bit abraisive. To me, the friendships are more important than the prepping.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:22:33 AM »
Go to a local feed and seed (farm supply) and put up a card to do labor to assist with home and farm chores ( list any qualifications) and you will get a chance to meet and discover who would be friendly to the idea. But that depends on you school/workload.