Author Topic: Giving the Gift of Prepping - Gifts  (Read 40320 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Giving the Gift of Prepping - Gifts
« on: October 26, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »
So, we have other threads that talk about similar things but since the holiday season is upon us (well, at least it is at Wal-Mart) I thought we could talk about gifts for the prepper or gifts for those we would like to be better prepared.

One that I think is a great gift is FRS/GMRS radios.  All the kids know is that they are walkie-talkies, but you can get the ones with the weather bands programmed in there.  Hidden prepper stuff in a fun format.*
*Note that one should comply with all FCC policies for the use of these devices.  Also give the gift or directions on how to use them legally.

Key-chain lights:  Squeezy lights are the heat and I keep handfulls of the things in a box to use as stocking stuffers.  I also like to put them on coats (mine and the kids')

Eat'N'Tool from CRKT:  Its just cool.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Giving the Gift of Prepping - Gifts
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »
Great thread idea to re-light this time of year!

ThinkGeek always has some practical preparedness gift items, including the dread titanium spark:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/whereisit.cgi?t=spork
I can always find something for the hard-to-buy-for in the run-up to Christmas there.

Kaito 321 AM/FM/SW receivers are always good gifts, and are only about $20.  They're easy to operate and make good starter/backup radios.  For the more tech-inclined and at a higher price point ($110 http://www.mtcradio.com/tecsun/ about $15 cheaper than Amazon), a Tecsun PL660 radio covers all bases.

The Midland 75-875 walkie-talkie is a complete runs-on-AA-batteries CB for only about $35.  Combine that and a homemade J-pole (http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=46816.0 ) and a little bit of coax cable, and you can give a friend a very capable self-contained CB base station for under $50.

Berkey bottles are nice gifts for about $25.  The Berkey Guy includes them as bonuses on MSB orders, so if you're replacing filters or buying new gear, you can get an occasional one for free.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
Great thread idea to re-light this time of year!

ThinkGeek always has some practical preparedness gift items, including the dread titanium spark:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/whereisit.cgi?t=spork
I can always find something for the hard-to-buy-for in the run-up to Christmas there.

While looking at the spork on think geek...ForkChops!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e86a/?srp=6

endurance

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
Squeeze lights and other lights are always my gift of choice.  I like the FRS radio idea for those who I'd suspect would get some mileage out of it. 

Almost 20 years ago I bought my aunt and uncle in LA a 72 hour kit from Emergency Essentials.  A few years later when they had a significant earthquake that knocked out the power I called them to check in and they said they broke out the kit and were using the flashlight (one of those no-battery internal generator units) and listened to the radio.  Last year when I went out to see them I saw that on a cluttered coffee table the flashlight was still out.  I asked them about it and they said it was the one light they had that never ran out of batteries, so they always kept it around.  I'm sure the rest of the kit is expired and essentially worthless now, but it was good to see they got so many miles out of it with that one flashlight.

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »
I grew up in a house that was almost completely ran on gas, so glow sticks were on hand for leaks.  Also, the little propane tanks are great.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »
ThinkGeek always has some practical preparedness gift items, including the dread titanium spark spork:
Gah, autocorrect.  I loves it and then I hates it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
I hates it.
The autocorrect...it burns us.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:02:54 PM »
The autocorrect...it burns us.
But it is precious, precious almost as much as the titanium spork!

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »
I made a "Light Box" for an elderly neighbor couple last year. During a fall storm they sat at my house because they had no power AND no back up lights.

Plastic shoe box with a snapping lid contained 2 of the tall glass religious candles (unscented and burn 8 hours) one box of water proof matches, two small flashlights and two headlamps, and extra batteries for both.

This spring he came over to tell me he used his box and was so grateful for it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »
I made a "Light Box" for an elderly neighbor couple last year. During a fall storm they sat at my house because they had no power AND no back up lights.

Plastic shoe box with a snapping lid contained 2 of the tall glass religious candles (unscented and burn 8 hours) one box of water proof matches, two small flashlights and two headlamps, and extra batteries for both.

This spring he came over to tell me he used his box and was so grateful for it.
+1

I am so using that.  "Give the gift of light this Christmas."

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »
Honestly, I paid $3 for the bin, $1.50 for each candle, the flashlights and batteries came from the holiday bin at Home Depot and the matches were like $1 at the dollar store. I might even consider making another one with a small pack of those solar yard stick lights in there. I am pretty sure I spent less than $25 for the whole thing and that's not much to give me peace of mind that they at least had light to potty by, lol.

nelson96

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 04:49:22 PM »
Pretty tough to beat an oil lamp as a prepper gift.  They come in so many shapes and sizes.  And even if I already have 6 of them, one more can't hurt.

d3nni5

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »
I had a few extras of stuff for a GHB.  So I did one up for a friend and mailed it out.    He is starting to think about things that he took for granted before,  like a simple drive home from work.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:01 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 08:09:14 PM »

endurance

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 08:16:20 AM »
I know this is pretty specific, but I'm making wooden door wedges painted with glow in the dark paint with a Brite Strike light on them to my fellow members of the academy. I messed around a few weeks ago making one for myself and the flashing green led shows up super well in smoky conditions, so I figured I'd make a dozen more and add glow paint.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
While looking at the spork on think geek...ForkChops!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e86a/?srp=6

I have fork chops (they were a gift).  They really would be more practical if it was a spoon instead of a fork on the end.  Also, 2 titanium sporks.  They really are awesome.  The problem is keeping the one I want to keep at work clean.

d3nni5

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 07:35:57 AM »
This is probably overpriced, but I saw it today @ Duluth Trading website.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/x-stream-survival-pod-79710.aspx?ev3=recommended_products

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »
This is probably overpriced, but I saw it today @ Duluth Trading website.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/x-stream-survival-pod-79710.aspx?ev3=recommended_products

for $27? egads.. they better be made of silver.

d3nni5

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »
for $27? egads.. they better be made of silver.

But its IMPORTED!   :)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:26:20 AM »
But its IMPORTED!   :)

so imported silver then ;)

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
Convenience cost.  The parts are small.  They put it together, find the right sized container, figure out what can fit together nicely, so you don't have to spend the time customizing a kit yourself.

Of course, this also likely means you don't know how to use the items in the kit all that well, and the tools will not be as good as what you could get and put together for yourself for the same price.

This is not "you're an experienced prepper that wants the best, buy this", since that market would just make their own.  This is for those starting out, or for those with very little time.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 08:08:57 AM »
I just started compiling a TSP business directory on the TSP Wiki page. Consider browsing it for gift ideas an support your fellow TSP listeners.

Offline DDJ

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »
I am looking at/for the AC charged emergancy flaslights to give my Father and Brother for Christmas this year.  Actually The Wife is likey to get some as well.  This is something I see a a hole in our preps that jack has highlighted for me.  I am considering a larger one top light up the "fuse box" if MY power goes out.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »
I have fork chops (they were a gift).  They really would be more practical if it was a spoon instead of a fork on the end.  Also, 2 titanium sporks.  They really are awesome.  The problem is keeping the one I want to keep at work clean.

I fell in love with stainless steel Korean chop sticks a few years ago.  They come with a long handled spoon that you use with the chop sticks. 

http://smile.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Chopstick-Spoon-Set/dp/B001CUDDJM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414775533&sr=8-2&keywords=korean+chop+sticks

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
I am a fan of the Eleloop batteries and charger, AAA especially.

Next some good quality head lamps for all in the family. Plus extras for that "black out kit" some one else suggested.

Next, a solar system to run that. In lieu, of the solar charger, a small car inverter would be great.   

Prepper books see: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=52187.0;topicseen placed on flashdrives. Add to that Dr. Prepper's book and Dr. bones and Nurse Amy's book. (my wife gave me that last year, even as a medical professional I am using it and enjoy reading it)

Also getting subscriptions to BackwoodsHome.com is another gift that I am still enjoying.

What about a paid slot for one of Jack's workshops or a PDC? Seems simple but useful.

Don't forget the "Jelly of the Month Club", it's the gift that keeps on giving Clark!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2014, 10:30:16 PM »

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 04:57:51 AM »
I got two of my family members these for Christmas

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XP2260-Instant-Portable-Source/dp/B004EIAADG/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_5

Cedar

WOW, their own Mister Fusion power pack...GREAT GIFT!   :clap:

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 06:59:49 AM »
Everybody in the family has gotten a Benchmade Houdini for the car.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/30200

I also put hand warmers in cards for everybody. They can be a real comfort.

I do sell paracord bracelets at craft fairs and they pick up in November/December. People are mystified that within a bracelet there's a firestarter, whistle, fishing line, hooks, and sinkers. I think there's more acceptance for survival gear these days.