Author Topic: Any dowsers here?  (Read 6577 times)

FarmerJim

Any dowsers here?
« on: July 06, 2014, 11:15:24 PM »
Growing up around water witching and was wondering if anyone here had any experience, not trying to start any arguments concerning the validity of the practice, just curious as to if there are any practitioners on here? If so how did you get started?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Any dowsers here?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:30:34 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
I had an elder start to teach me in Canada. I think it is not my destiny to dowse. My talents lay elsewhere.

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 10:44:25 AM »
For years in doing contract work, we "dowsed" or "witched" buried cables and pipes with an accuracy that rivaled expensive cable locators.

I have accurately dowsed small underground streams for shallow wells or drive points on my property.  I've used copper, brass, or steel rods (heavy wire, really) bent 90 degrees on one end.  I've heard of people using willow, but have not seen it.

~TG

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:05:32 AM »
Growing up I helped my dads cousin relocate a well.  Used 2 wire rods, bent at 90*.  We were able to find several spots and get the depth that the water was at.  Struck water on the first try, within 5' of what it was said when dousing.

Now, if I can just remember how it was done.  I remember when the wires crossed, that was the location, then there was something else to get the depth.

In the show "Off the Grid" with Les Stroud, they did dousing with a willow branch.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »
In the show "Off the Grid" with Les Stroud, they did dousing with a willow branch.

The elder I watched dowse more than a few times, she used a willow branch, but one which was like a "Y". She held the 'handle parts'.. the top part of the "Y" and aimed the bottom part of the "Y" to find water.

DANG if that branch did not twist itself so much when she hit water, that it split itself in turning (more than one branch as she had to get a fresh one each time).

When my dad dowsed for something, he used two copper rods bend in an "L" shape. He held one loosely with one in each hand and they crossed when he found what he was looking for. The smaller part of the "L" is what he used for the 'handle'.

Cedar - who is in the house as the wee child seriously needs a nap. S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y!

Offline hutchsteaders

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
I dowsed my well. Had someone show me how to do it with a Y shaped apple branch. Its really neat to feel the branch moving toward water on its own.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
Ive always been intrigued by dowsing...  Im not sure what to think of it, but Id be willing to learn!

TOG

Offline michaelnz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 02:53:40 AM »
If you find a dowser that can do it there is a million dollars waiting for them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge