Author Topic: 2006 F250 6.0 diesel experiences?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
2006 F250 6.0 diesel experiences?
« on: August 26, 2015, 05:11:27 PM »
Im currently looking at a low mileage F250 diesel, but dont have any knowledge on the reliability of this year engine.  Anybody out there with any actual experience with the motor?

TIA
Joel

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: 2006 F250 6.0 diesel experiences?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
If you are not able to work on this yourself, run, don't walk away from the sale.  I would say if you are asking this question you probably should not buy a 6.0 liter ford. 

If you are pretty serious take it to a ford diesel shop and get them to take a look at the diagnostics information out of the computer.  I have an AutoEnginuity scanner that I bought and the engine computer really does track about everything and you can see bad injectors and sensors long before they are a problem.

I have an E350 with the 6.0 liter diesel in it.  It is about the same as the F250, with some mirror image installations, and everything being alot more difficult to work on due to the cramped space.  My van is heavy enough that it is not required to illuminate the malfunction light (Check engine) when it detects a problem, so lack of check engine light doesn't mean it isn't throwing a code!  (I don't know about the F250's malfunction lights, but I would guess they probably are not disabled since it is a fairly light vehicle.)

There is a reason ford only made this engine for 3 years.  It is because it was a nightmare of problems.  If you look online for 6.0 liter fords for sale you will notice almost all of them list numerous mods having been done to keep the thing going.  Blue spring kit, egr delete, oil cooler mods, etc. etc.

Now, if you want to learn how to work on a diesel engine and time is not a factor in your life, this engine was made to be worked on.  You will buy alot of oddly sized stuff to work on it (37 mm socket?), but more tools are good.  Once you get through the EGR delete (which make it not street legal by the way), and a few other issues you will have a very reliable vehicle.  It is also nice to know how to fix stuff yourself.

If you can't fix it yourself, expect to pay at least $1000 everytime it goes to the shop.  There is significant take apart to get to most everything.  This taking apart is relatively easy, but takes lots of time, and at $95 an hour you pay out the nose for simple repairs.  The turbo and FICM work I did would have been $5000 at a shop, but it only cost me about $250 and lots of time.

I have:
- reconditioned the turbo.  The variable geometry turbo gets stuck and doesn't work and "farts" high pressure back out the air cleaner.
- replaced a/c manifold hose.
- replaced vacuum pump (twice) also a van issue.  F250 should have an electric pump that is more reliable than engine driven pump.
- replaced alternator numerous times (This is a van issue, the alternator gets no cooling air and gets cooked)
- replace fuel pressure regulator spring (the blue spring kit).  Fuel pressure too low in original factory design, causes premature issues with injectors.
- replace inverter in the FICM (Fuel injector control module - very common problem)
- fuel tank delamination.  Yep can't use biofuel over 10% or the lining of the fuel tank fails.  What a mess, ford said too bad we told you not to use biodiesel in it.  Lots of work cleaning it out, and have to change fuel filters much more often than "normal" since it still has lots of loose silver paint coating running around the fuel system.
- Blown the charge air cooler hose up twice (both under warranty).  Ford never did tell me why that happened, but it hasn't done it in since.

With all this being said, if I could find a 6.0 liter ford truck I would but it at an extreme discount or not at all.  I can work on them, and I enjoy it, and it is not my main vehicle.  If I could not work on it or had to rely on it for getting to and from work I would not buy it.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:43:45 PM »
Don't own one, would not buy that engine. I have the 7.3 :P
They had injector problems, I think were recalled.
The original head bolts will stretch and cause a leaky head.
The ERG system on the truck was junk, most people rip it out entirely.
Oh its shoehorned into the truck. So its miserable to work on.
Most garages won't touch diesel in general. So if you can't work on it you have to find someone that will touch it, or pay out the butt at the stealership.

Offline 12th man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »
We wound up with several of these at work. we tear them up and put up to 50,000/year on them. all the 6.0's got the turbo/egr thing fixed. what i understand is the main issue with these motors i s the turbo, but it is a symptom of something to do with the egr system not the turbo itself. i guess that it was illegal to change it so the problem would go away. i am not sure if someone found a loophole, the DEQ requirement changed, or if we just did it illegally. the one i drive was a 250 super cab, it had plenty of power on any day before it got fixed, after they fixed it OMG!. its a beast. i dont know why anyone would want more power in a 250. if you are hauling that much you really want a dually. all that power and it still gets 21mpg at 75mph down the freeway.

i cant afford the gas (Diesel), if i could i would jump on one of these trucks, i love them. Just cant justify it with my commute. I wouldn't worry about low mileage that much either. Ours probably average 250,000 and are still going very strong.

If you get one...be real careful letting the wife drive it empty on a wet road. you cant get a tire with enough traction.

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »
Thanks all.  Looks like I'm going with a f250 from the same year but a gasser and a 4x4.  Go figure.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 12:09:08 PM »
Thanks all.  Looks like I'm going with a f250 from the same year but a gasser and a 4x4.  Go figure.

If you want diesel, I'd look at a pre 1998.5 Dodge with the 6bt. That will be my next vehicle purchase.  The 1998.5 and up models are 24 valve and much more complicated. http://cumminshub.com/12v.html

Offline Joseph Seal

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 07:09:13 PM »
do some googling the 6.0 had there share of problems, some resulting in class action lawsuits and making ford guys into chevy guys.