Author Topic: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)  (Read 375601 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Crop reports as of this week
« Reply #360 on: July 13, 2012, 08:55:32 PM »
Milk will be down 20% too. Alfalfa crops are down in most places.

It will be gas due to ethanol, anything with corn syrup in it. Animal feeds including dog/cat food. Anything soy based, like tofu, soy milk, Anti-static agents, Soaps/shampoo/detergents, antibiotics.

Cedar

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #361 on: July 13, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »
Good to know.  Love those reports. Gives a good heads up on what to stock up on.  today I heard over and over on the news popcorn.  Of course according to the new report that means it will just cost more to go to the movies and get snacks.  Wow now wasn't that a good full report on the whole situation?  Oh well I already stocked up on stuff several months ago. 

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
Re: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)
« Reply #362 on: July 13, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
Jim,

When I lived in town with that heavy black gumbo clay, about the only effective garden arrngement was either a raised bed of organic matter that would hold needed moisture but drain excess, or container gardening with earthboxes that are immune to both drought and flooding.

Out NW of town, we got 9" so far this week.  Some places saw 12".  That's more rain than all of last year! 

For those not familiar, we normally get 48"-52" annual rainfall.  Even with the rain this week, the ground does not have deep moisture, and the water tables have not even begun to recharge from the 24 months of drought in Southeast Texas. 

~TG

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #363 on: July 14, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #364 on: July 15, 2012, 05:06:00 AM »
http://www.agweb.com/article/10_corn_and_20_soybeans_to_pit_food_against_fuel/

$10 corn and $20 soybeans likely due to last season's drought in south america and tight world supples, wheat also expected to rise as livestock producers demand wheat in place of corn/beans

thank God for crop insurance

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #365 on: July 15, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »
Went to my local walley world yesterday to buy a bottle of popping corn. Odd thing was they didn't have a single jar of any kind. They did have microwave kind but not the loose stuff. And not any place for it either.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #366 on: July 16, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
They are now saying worst drought since 1950's http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/us/us-drought/index.html?hpt=hp_c1
"71% of the country was classified as abnormally dry or worse as of June, that is double of last year"

6 week animated drought map http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/6_week.gif

Arkansas Department of Agriculture spokesman Zach Taylor. "It's bad," he said. "The week of July 4, we had 17,000 head of cattle sold. That may be a record."

The worsening drought caused Chicago Board of Trade spot corn futures prices to soar nearly 45 percent in only six weeks with the price on Friday coming within a few cents of the record high. Corn, soybean and wheat futures prices were sharply higher again on Monday as the drought continued to spread.

Cedar

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #367 on: July 16, 2012, 07:44:26 PM »
Price changes are hitting the stores - report on Sams club today

Pinto Bean prices just went from from 28.xx to 45.xx
25 # sack of rice from 4.97 to 7.73

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20120716/DA02A9181.html

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #368 on: July 16, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »
Meat will be really low this next week or so. Stock up on it now for canning/freezing, as after this dump of animals into the food processing plants, it will go up high.

I interviewed kids at the fair yesterday and most did not even break even on feed costs. Market animlas went from $1.25 to $6/lb, most in the $2 range.

Cedar

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #369 on: July 16, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »
Anybody know how long feed lasts? I'm planning on stocking up on rabbit, chicken, and deer feed this week. I can store quite a bit critter free, I am wondering if pellets will either go rancid or somehow spoil.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #370 on: July 17, 2012, 12:01:48 AM »
Keep it dry, keep it cool, keep vermin out of it.. and a year.

Cedar

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #371 on: July 17, 2012, 05:58:23 AM »
According to the latest Alabama crop report (heard on the radio), all of Alabama's non-irrigated corn crop has pretty much been lost. That's most of the state crop. Most other crops and pastures are in bad shape as well. We got a good soaking this past week, but it came too late for the corn.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #372 on: July 17, 2012, 01:48:46 PM »

Offline Mister Dark

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #373 on: July 17, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »
Just as an eyes-on-the-ground report, I have driven back and forth across the midwest along both I-40 and I-80 (and a few others) a lot more than I want over the last 3 weeks.  Anything that was alive, was only because of massive irrigation efforts.  The spigots were wide open on those massive wheeled sprinkler systems. Anything more than 20 feet away from those sprinklers was stunted and brown.   Not a good year for farmers in the midwest (or the Southeast for that matter)

I stocked up on anything wheat/corn/soy related today. From pasta to dogfood, we are going to see big price increases from this.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #374 on: July 17, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
Time to head to Costco tomorrow and get some meat

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #375 on: July 18, 2012, 03:57:14 AM »
 It's driving up more than corn. As many know, I've taken a job this summer on a produce farm. We've had to run irrigation pumps nearly every day for the past month, and that is affecting the costs here as well. We have to factor in the costs of fuel to run the pumps every day, along with the labor of laying out more piping than he has had to in the past. Though we're doing OK with running the irrigation, some of the farm ponds are getting very low.

endurance

« Reply #376 on: July 18, 2012, 08:32:32 AM »
A lot of the same information in the Denver Post this week, but a few lines stood out to me.

Only in the 1930s and the 1950s has a drought covered more land, according to federal figures released Monday. So far, there is little risk of a Dust Bowl-type catastrophe, but crop losses could mount if rain doesn't come soon.
Climatologists have labeled this year's dry spell a "flash drought" because it developed in a matter of months, not over multiple seasons or years.

Read more: Worst drought in 55 years devastates corn crop - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21089894#ixzz20z4tUEst
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

What strikes me as concerning is the tone that 'it's bad, but we've seen worse before' when this could just be the very beginning in a several year drought.  Just because it started suddenly doesn't mean it will necessarily go away just as quickly.  While we've seen some relief in the front range of Colorado with higher humidity and more regular thunderstorms, the evidence indicates that much of the country hasn't had relief and crops are still in serious jeopardy this year. 

It's definitely a 'disaster' worth keeping an eye on.  Year over year failures will really have an impact on fuel and food prices and make third-world hunger problems even more critical than they are today.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #377 on: July 18, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
They have been talking food shortages 2 days now
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/worsening-drought-puts-food-supply-at-risk/

Milk & Cheese prices to go up
http://www.indystar.com/usatoday/article/56321228?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|p

Cedar

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
« Reply #378 on: July 19, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »

Well as old as this thread is,2009 many should have stock up by now,I bought a case of corn meal sealed in cans this spring so at least I may weather the drought but then you never know.The climate is changing and if America's bread basket doesn't rebound we are in big trouble. 2012 is going to be a bad year for all of us.Forewarned is forearmed! The best to all here and pray for relief and give thanks to our bounty and blessing here in America. The third world will pay with their life with the young and old. Russia too is getting hit in their bread basket also!

kiteflyer

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #379 on: July 19, 2012, 05:54:54 PM »
My friends quail feed for his layer flock went up 15% in 2 weeks

Cedar

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #380 on: July 21, 2012, 10:33:06 AM »
After reading this thread and all the great articles you guys have been posting I did a bunch more digging for data/quotes and  wrote a post today about this topic--aimed at the grasshoppers in my audience (my blog is about frugal living, not prepping):

Historic Drought http://www.frugalupstate.com/?p=10468

I just hope it gets some folks out there thinking. . .

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #381 on: July 23, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »
Oh, and I was just reading that here in NY the apple, peach, & grape (wine) crops were severely compromised by frosts. 

Some apple growers have lost more than 80 percent of their crops. Local peaches and cherries will be even more scarce. Strawberries and blueberries were not affected.

That means that prices for apples, peaches, nectarines and cherries will likely be higher. And it’s also possible that stores that have been committed to offering “local” produce will have to put out peaches and cherries from Pennsylvania and apples from Washington.

and

some vineyards along Lake Erie have lost their entire crops. But there, those closer to the lake suffered less damage from the frost. The center lost only 5 percent of its crop, he said.

Grape growers could lose $25 million in crop income, the center reported.

Article: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/expect_slim_picking_for_apples.html

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #382 on: July 23, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »
Our local orchards have no apples this year. What didn't get killed by frost withered in the dry heat.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #383 on: July 25, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »
Frost took most of my fruit tree crop. 20 apple blossoms down to 2 apples on tree
Tree full of peach blossoms to none now
Tree full of pear buds to none

Our sweet corn was terrible due to lack of rain, we harvested first crop, and decided to give rest to chickens, at least won’t go to waste

Most of in ground garden doing terrible (except tomatoes). Thankfully had greenhouse and aquaponics system or I would have had almost no crops this year.

The wife, kids and I play a new game when going places on who is an ant and who is a grasshopper by how many green lawns we see driving through the neighborhoods. Cracks us all up. Now that they passed law in our area about watering lawns and washing cars might have to find other ways to amuse ourselves as all the “pretty” lawns start to turn brown.

With drought and late frost taking out much of the crops, prices now up, which means people can afford less, and in turn prices go up more to cover costs.

Since we as a nation export much of what we grow how is that going to trickle down to other items, and borrowing/lending? Will there be bail outs the way the auto industry, and mortgage industry was bailed out? Of course not, well at least for mom and pop farmer they won’t. Who will buy their land when they have to sell, big AG business, for more GMO laden food! Yeah

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #385 on: July 25, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »
NKAWTG: Great map... very interesting to watch the progression. So sad to see the crop failures.

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #386 on: July 26, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
Yes, what we need is rain.  Rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey, whiskey makes...
NKAWTG: Great map... very interesting to watch the progression. So sad to see the crop failures.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #387 on: July 26, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
Yes, what we need is rain.  Rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey, whiskey makes...

My baby is a feeling a little friskay!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...

nkawtg

« Reply #389 on: August 01, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
As everyone is aware (I hope) of the record drought in progress throughout most of the country, it got me thinking about the next step in food production Winter Wheat.
What will the dry soil conditions for the upcoming Winter Wheat planting season do to production next year.
I'm betting on wheat shortages next year
As a by product of the drought, ranchers may be sending their livestock to market early because of the high price of feed and the shortage of grass and water.
So beef prices might dip a bit, followed by a jump in prices as the surplus comes down.

Now all we need during food shortages is another Carrington Event....