Author Topic: Polar Vortex caused by... Global Warming?  (Read 785 times)

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
Polar Vortex caused by... Global Warming?
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
Lol. It's pretty hilarious, but Jack was 100% spot-on with his episode a couple weeks ago about the wicked winter weather and how no matter how much evidence to the contrary the media will continue to spin it as a result of global warming.

Yahoo! Article - Here's What the 'Polar Vortex' That's Hitting the US Actually is

Right from the article:
The spinning winds typically trap this cold air in the Arctic. But the problem comes when the polar vortex weakens or splits apart, essentially flinging these cold wind patterns out of the Arctic and into our backyards. NOAA scientists have suggested that warming temperatures in the Arctic may be responsible for the weakening of the polar vortex. When the vortex weakens, it's more likely to break apart and become a factor in our winter weather.

I'm not even a climate-change "doubter" (frankly, I could care less either way), but some of the stuff they come up with for theories or some of the things they call "evidence" are just laughable.

::)

nkawtg

Re: Polar Vortex caused by... Global Warming?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:45:42 AM »
Let's not forget the research vessel trapped in antarctic ice was studying the reduced icepack due to global warming.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »
Let's not forget the research vessel trapped in antarctic ice was studying the reduced icepack due to global warming.

And it is SUMMER in Antartica!  LOL 

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »
"Average global temperatures are about 1 degree C higher than they were 50 years ago."

Okay, that's a factual statement backed up by data.

"The average amount of polar ice has been steadily decreasing over the past century."

Another fact that has been observed.

"This recent tendency towards more extreme weather can be traced back to global war-"

:stop:

Every time I hear some scientist, especially a non-climate scientist, point towards some recent weather phenomenon being caused by global warming, I've decided I'm going to drive an extra 5 miles per day that I normally would not. Just for funsies.

nkawtg

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
And now their talking about Glogal Cooling...(again, remember the '70's?)
http://www.naturalnews.com/041981_global_warming_computer_models_cooling.html

When they couldn't back up global warming claims, they change the phrase to climate change which can mean anything they want it to.
It's not about the weather, it's about control.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »
It's not about the weather, it's about control.

AMEN!!!  It is all about controlling personal property!  Look what TPTB have done to farmers in the name of "Environmentalism".

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »
Lol. It's pretty hilarious, but Jack was 100% spot-on with his episode a couple weeks ago about the wicked winter weather and how no matter how much evidence to the contrary the media will continue to spin it as a result of global warming.

Yahoo! Article - Here's What the 'Polar Vortex' That's Hitting the US Actually is...

Okay, there are a bunch of misconceptions here.

ONE: The Yahoo article does not say that "global warming" is responsible for the cold weather.  It says that "warming temperatures in the Arctic may be responsible".  Warming temperatures in the arctic are a measured thing, not a computer-modeled prediction.

TWO: The Yahoo article links to this NOAA article as their source ("NOAA scientists have suggested...").  Well, if you look at that article, it's a lot more tenuous than Yahoo makes it appear:

...Many factors, including natural climate variability, can produce extreme weather events. But, there also is a potential impact from Arctic regions, where solar heat absorbed by recently ice-free regions of the ocean warms the atmosphere during autumn, impacting the winds. ...

“Some scientists are beginning to suspect that the lack of sea ice allows the oceans to pump heat into the atmosphere in the Arctic in a way that could impact weather patterns such as the North Atlantic Oscillation,” said Mark Serreze, director of the National Snow and Ice Data Center. “The idea is still very much in its infancy, but it’s worth looking into...."

So, basically, nobody is stating that global warming is definitely causing cold temperatures.  Instead, it's a chain of "ifs":

• IF the wintertime polar vortex breaks down, it can throw arctic air south into the northern continents.  This has been pretty well demonstrated (see for example this NASA article on the bitter cold of early 2009).  But it's also well-documented that this is not the only cause of severe winter weather.
  • IF the arctic air is warmer than usual, this might cause the polar vortex to break down more often.  (Warmer temperatures have been measured.)
  • IF there is less sea ice in the arctic (also measured), this might cause the exposed Arctic Ocean waters to contribute to warmer air temperatures.
  • IF the low-sea-ice condition continues or increases, this might -- through this long chain of events -- mean that the northern hemisphere continents get severe winter weather more frequently than in the past.

Offline Prodigy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 11:34:46 AM »
Okay, there are a bunch of misconceptions here.

ONE: The Yahoo article does not say that "global warming" is responsible for the cold weather.  It says that "warming temperatures in the Arctic may be responsible".  Warming temperatures in the arctic are a measured thing, not a computer-modeled prediction.

TWO: The Yahoo article links to this NOAA article as their source ("NOAA scientists have suggested...").  Well, if you look at that article, it's a lot more tenuous than Yahoo makes it appear:

So, basically, nobody is stating that global warming is definitely causing cold temperatures.  Instead, it's a chain of "ifs":

• IF the wintertime polar vortex breaks down, it can throw arctic air south into the northern continents.  This has been pretty well demonstrated (see for example this NASA article on the bitter cold of early 2009).  But it's also well-documented that this is not the only cause of severe winter weather.
  • IF the arctic air is warmer than usual, this might cause the polar vortex to break down more often.  (Warmer temperatures have been measured.)
  • IF there is less sea ice in the arctic (also measured), this might cause the exposed Arctic Ocean waters to contribute to warmer air temperatures.
  • IF the low-sea-ice condition continues or increases, this might -- through this long chain of events -- mean that the northern hemisphere continents get severe winter weather more frequently than in the past.

I was just about to post when this was posted, so I'll delete half my stuff (good post, btw).

I cannot understand why so many people flat out do not believe that global warming/climate change can create certain weather conditions, or change the potency of those conditions.  There is plenty of evidence that is it possible a warming climate can create certain conditions.  Is every extreme weather event due to global warming?  Of course not, but it's just as silly to say none of them could have been impacted by the changing climate.

Can we please differentiate between man made global warming, and fact-based global warming, please?  Whenever someone says 'global warming' or 'climate change' they should not mean the man-made variety (plenty of people do, and that's part of the problem). 

Global warming/climate change is a fact - the big unknown/debate is how much, if any, is caused by humans.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
Global warming/climate change is a fact - the big unknown/debate is how much, if any, is caused by humans.

Oh yes, that's not debatable. The problem is most laypeople don't have the vernacular to read and understand scientific reports, so it gets watered-down and mistranslated into easily-consumable media for "science enthusiasts". Then the politicians get involved and everything becomes hyperbolic. Then the doubters jump on board and get all in a tizzy whenever a report comes out in an attempt to quell the political hyperbole that suggests man-made climate change isn't as bad as we thought. It's a giant vortex of confirmation bias and deception. The facts become obscured and lost in the chaos. And science undeservedly gets the blame for ALL of it.

Now, there are scientists out there with an ego the size of Antarctica and an agenda to push. They need to go jump off a glacier. A few wackos doesn't mean all of climate science is wrong.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
The problem is most laypeople don't have the vernacular to read and understand scientific reports, so it gets watered-down and mistranslated into easily-consumable media for "science enthusiasts".

I think you are on to something!  They have hijacked the language for sure. 

What bugs me is the way they go after anyone who has a differing opinion.  They set out to destroy any real scientist who tries to discuss this.  The Medieval Warm Period was WAY warmer and there weren't any factories or cars back then.  If you point this out to them, they will personally and professionally destroy you.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 05:09:28 PM »
I think you are on to something!  They have hijacked the language for sure. 

What bugs me is the way they go after anyone who has a differing opinion.  They set out to destroy any real scientist who tries to discuss this.  The Medieval Warm Period was WAY warmer and there weren't any factories or cars back then.  If you point this out to them, they will personally and professionally destroy you.

It's also important to keep in mind that scientific discussion is not the same as a debate. Scientific discussion is meant to point out any obvious errors in logic and/or method and correct them. It's okay to head into a scientific discussion with preconceptions, but one has to be willing to examine all the facts unbiasedly and have the skills to digest the hard facts to come to a conclusion, which may be different than the one you started with. Human ego sometimes has a hard time with that ::)

It's tricky because scientific language is very precise while conversation is not. "Place 5 mL of solvent in a graduated cylinder and dilute to 100 mL" does not meant the same thing as "Place 5 mL of solvent in a graduated cylinder and add 100 mL", for example. It's esoteric, so it gets dismissed by the average person as too complicated. Coupling that with the fact that just like any industry, there are quacks out there, but it often takes a fellow scientist to be able to muddle through the jargon and figure out who's an assclown and who's not. And sometimes the good ones can't come to the same conclusion when presented with the same data! There's that human element mucking things up again.

What you bring up about the Medieval Warm Period may be true, but it's only one example of a larger picture. One example does not robust data make (not that I'm defending their condescension, but I do see where they're coming from). Unfortunately, none of us are really qualified to have a scientific discussion since we don't have access to a huge portion of that raw climate data, nor would we really know what to do with it. We could have a debate about it, but it's an exercise in futility, IMO. Anyone with an internet connection can find articles and research to support their opinion. Whether or not those sources are scientifically sound is irrelevant because that's not the point of a debate. Which is why I prefer to do this :banghead: , er, I mean present facts, instead of get into "scientific" debates ;D

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
 :popcorn: :-\

soup

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 07:50:35 PM »
I don't care what any of Al Gore's scientists say, or what data they choose to use and what data they choose to ignore.  What counts is that they have lost my trust, and I now relegate the whole mess to "junk science" and put it a little lower than Alex Jones in the believe-ability stack.

As a girl I'm just gonna use my female trump card:  My mind's made up, don't confuse me with the "facts."

~TG

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 08:12:34 PM »
I have 90 pounds of angry Sulcata Tortoise in my kitchen tonight because even with the heat lamp on in the goat shed, it is too cold for him to stay outside tonight.   ;D

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 07:18:33 AM »
I have 90 pounds of angry Sulcata Tortoise in my kitchen tonight because even with the heat lamp on in the goat shed, it is too cold for him to stay outside tonight.   ;D

I understand that.  It's a balmy 17 now, was 11 degrees here two nights in a row.  The "up north" folks might chuckle, but it's NOT supposed to get this cold here on a recurring basis.

I ran the Mr heater buddy Jr in the greenhouse both nights, and it still dipped to 29.  I lost a number of plants.

~TG

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 07:52:50 AM »
I don't care what any of Al Gore's scientists say, or what data they choose to use and what data they choose to ignore.  What counts is that they have lost my trust, and I now relegate the whole mess to "junk science" and put it a little lower than Alex Jones in the believe-ability stack.

*sigh* The perversion and corruption that politics has infected science with is something that I feel very strongly about, but is probably not suitable to this topic. I'm sorry that Al Gore and his gang of "scientists" has ruined this aspect of science for you. Just know that most of us aren't like that and do actually want to better society through objective results and not fearmongering.

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
*sigh* The perversion and corruption that politics has infected science with is something that I feel very strongly about, but is probably not suitable to this topic. I'm sorry that Al Gore and his gang of "scientists" has ruined this aspect of science for you. Just know that most of us aren't like that and do actually want to better society through objective results and not fearmongering.
Ditto.... It's not that I'm not interested in knowing the truth, or that I'm not willing to accept facts. The problem is that so many people have been presenting conflicting (or arbitrary, or useless) evidence as "facts" for so long that no one has any confidence in the entire discussion. Once those people have lost trust, either because they change their story or because they obviously have ulterior motives, it's pretty tough to continue embracing their message (no matter how compelling or selfless).

As I said in my initial post... I'm not a skeptic, I'm just completely apathetic about the whole discussion now. The only time I find worthwhile to bring up the discussion is when it's entertaining (such as this example). Otherwise, it's like discussing abortion or the death penalty, a huge gray political and religious topic where people's sensibilities get destroyed way before you get to any real educated discourse. Not fun or funny.

nelson96

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »
Ditto.... It's not that I'm not interested in knowing the truth, or that I'm not willing to accept facts. The problem is that so many people have been presenting conflicting (or arbitrary, or useless) evidence as "facts" for so long that no one has any confidence in the entire discussion. Once those people have lost trust, either because they change their story or because they obviously have ulterior motives, it's pretty tough to continue embracing their message (no matter how compelling or selfless).

As I said in my initial post... I'm not a skeptic, I'm just completely apathetic about the whole discussion now. The only time I find worthwhile to bring up the discussion is when it's entertaining (such as this example). Otherwise, it's like discussing abortion or the death penalty, a huge gray political and religious topic where people's sensibilities get destroyed way before you get to any real educated discourse. Not fun or funny.

Ditto for me.  The whole mess brought on by politicians like Gore appear to be all about capturing $$ for themselves and their agenda, nothing more.  It is my opinion that much of the scientific data supporting the studies are skewed because they want to protect their grants.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 09:23:59 AM »
It is my opinion that much of the scientific data supporting the studies are skewed because they want to protect their grants.

And there's the other sticky part of the current system. I didn't want to go beyond a bachelor's degree because I would be spending the rest of my life chasing grants at the whim of oblivious bureaucrats. Results weren't in line with what they wanted? Good luck getting any more money out of them or anyone else (this is not the case for all funding agencies, but I heard too many like this to be comfortable pursuing a career).

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »
Ditto for me.  The whole mess brought on by politicians like Gore appear to be all about capturing $$ for themselves and their agenda, nothing more.  It is my opinion that much of the scientific data supporting the studies are skewed because they want to protect their grants.

Thank you Nelson, and MTU.   I'm glad you understood my satire and got the point.

...now where did I misplace my car keys?  Oh my, the cake! It's in the oven... The kids are late for school, and oh yes,how am I supposed to stop all this global warming today???.

The average American could care less about agenda driven "science theories."

:)

~TG
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:45:35 AM by TexasGirl »

Offline Prodigy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 10:38:27 AM »
Yeah, I have to say I'm pretty much in the same boat too.  I just think that these sort of discussions need to be brought down to a sane level, with two main points:

1)  Global warming/climate change is happening and the trend, at least as it stands now, is ever increasingly severe weather.  How will this affect you?  How can you prepare your family and community in a reasonable and responsible way?  Destructive storms are only the beginning... there are droughts, food shortages, growing season changes, and a host of other things to think about.

and 2)  I really don't care what anyones belief on man-made climate change is - pollution is always bad!  We have a responsibility to the land that provides us with the ability to live and thrive by not destroying it.  Get past any notions that if you stopped driving your car, it'd save the world - instead realize that there will be less pollution in your city/area if the general population cut down on exhaust.  Maybe not a big deal if you're in a rural area, but definitely a big deal in a big city where kids are rapidly developing asthma and other conditions, and in some cities they have 'smog alerts' where it is literally dangerous to go outside and breathe.  The same goes for factories, or anything else that outputs hazardous waste/pollution.

There is always a concern of stifling business with too much regulation, but it's just as irresponsible to flip the bird to the 'global warming supporters' by driving your car extra miles just for spite.  There is a happy medium between smog alerts/irradiated water supply  and a 100% pollution free world.  Maybe that's not a factor most of us can change on a national scale, but we can at least be good stewards of our land on a local level.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 10:52:37 AM »
 MSNBC trotting out the Rev.  Al  Sharpton in a white lab coat to pontificate about global warming  tells me the climate change agenda is in serious trouble.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
MSNBC trotting out the Rev.  Al  Sharpton in a white lab coat to pontificate about global warming  tells me the climate change agenda is in serious trouble.

Wow!  They must be desperate. 

As for what some are posting about pollution being bad, the problem with the environmental people is that they want to impose all the restrictions on the US.  Having been all over the world, I can tell you that the US is not the problem.  China and Russia and India and other places are downright filthy.  They dump pollutants into their rivers or right out on the ground.  If it were truly about saving the planet, they'd be doing something about those countries and not harrassing US industries all the time.  It is about MONEY and CONTROL, not pollution, just like the "Global Warming" movement. 

Offline Shrekfingers

• Survivor
  • Been there, done that, have the T-shirt
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 03:01:39 PM »
Why is it that every time there is sun activity then we have major weather pattern. Just last week the suns magnetic poles changes and now this weather.  http://rt.com/news/sun-upside-down-flip-990/

Climate change, yep has been happening since the earths creation.. I would bet every nasty change has followed the suns activity in some manner. Man made .. nope not convinced. Man wants to thinks he is able to influence all things on this planet but the climate is not one of them. Yeah.. I'm a skeptic.

If the man made climate change people really believed their stuff, they wouldn't drive, fly , nor heat their homes or EXHALE.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 06:17:42 AM »
I will admit, I don't know enough about the science to say if global warming or climate change is an issue, other than common sense things like (if we had an ice age at some point, the earth warmed up at some point, obviously before we had cars and factories).

On the other hand, I do know enough about politics to understand that politicians and those with an agenda are prone to take one bit of research and run with it, ignoring anything that conflicts with it or any new information that comes along.

So I trust most scientists, but not the people who interpret the data to make policy.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »
...So, basically, nobody is stating that global warming is definitely causing cold temperatures.  Instead, it's a chain of "ifs":

There's a bit of new research that supports this scenario.

Christian Science Monitor, 10/27/16: How global warming could actually make winters colder for some people

...Current research suggests that a “wavier” jet stream may correlate to severe climates south of the Arctic, which may linger for several weeks at a time. When the jet stream’s route is more direct from west to east, typical winter weather seems to follow.

“We’ve always had years with wavy and not so wavy jet stream winds, but in the last one to two decades the warming Arctic could well have been amplifying the effects of the wavy patterns,” co-author Edward Hanna, a professor of climate change at the University of Sheffield, said...

A related study, published Monday in the same journal, found that the Arctic polar vortex has been shifting from North America toward Europe over the course of several decades. That shift has pushed Arctic air southward, researchers said, bringing colder winters to Europe and North America. ...

Please note that this is all based on actual measurements of temperature, winds, air pressure, etc., and it is irrelevant whether the change has been human-caused or not.  The take-home story is that the US and parts of northern Europe are getting extreme cold periods more frequently than in decades past.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »
...the US and parts of northern Europe are getting extreme cold periods more frequently than in decades past.

As, for example, this coming winter:

The North Pole is an insane 36 degrees warmer than normal as winter descends

...This is the second year in a row that temperatures near the North Pole have risen to freakishly warm levels. During 2015’s final days, the temperature near the Pole spiked to the melting point thanks to a massive storm that pumped warm air into the region.

So what’s going on here?

“It’s about 20C [36 degrees Fahrenheit] warmer than normal over most of the Arctic Ocean, along with cold anomalies of about the same magnitude over north-central Asia,” Jennifer Francis, an Arctic specialist at Rutgers University, said by email Wednesday.

“The Arctic warmth is the result of a combination of record-low sea-ice extent for this time of year, probably very thin ice, and plenty of warm/moist air from lower latitudes being driven northward by a very wavy jet stream.”

Francis has published research suggesting that the jet stream, which travels from west to east across the Northern Hemisphere in the mid-latitudes, is becoming more wavy and elongated as the Arctic warms faster than the equator does.

“It will be fascinating to see if the stratospheric polar vortex continues to be as weak as it is now, which favors a negative Arctic Oscillation and probably a cold mid/late winter to continue over central and eastern Asia and eastern North America. ...”

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
The North Pole is an insane 36 degrees warmer than normal as winter descends

The unsurprising followup to that:

Reuters, 3/22/17: Arctic ice sets new record low for winter: scientists

...Arctic sea ice appears to have reached its annual maximum extent on March 7, the lowest maximum in the 38-year satellite record, according to the Colorado-based U.S. National Snow and Ice Data Center.

On that date, the ice covered 14.42 million square kilometers (5.57 million square miles), 97,000 square kilometers below the previous lowest maximum that occurred on Feb. 25, 2015. ...

Worldwide, last year was the warmest on record for the third year in a row....

Earlier on Wednesday, scientists at the University of Bremen in Germany published similar findings. Their data showed that the ice covered just 14.49 million square kilometers (5.59 million square miles) on Feb. 22, almost the size of Russia, fractionally smaller than the previous winter low of 14.58 million square kilometers set last year in satellite records dating back to the 1970s. ...

At the other end of the world, sea ice around Antarctica hit a record low for the southern summer last month, the NSIDC said. ...

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
Evidence that a warm-arctic-driven wavy jet stream is affecting spring and summer weather:

Washington Post, 3/27/17: One of the most troubling ideas about climate change just found new evidence in its favor

...The idea is that climate change doesn’t merely increase the overall likelihood of heat waves, say, or the volume of rainfall — it also changes the flow of weather itself. By altering massive planet-scale air patterns like the jet stream ... a warming planet causes our weather to become more stuck in place. This means that a given weather pattern, whatever it may be, may persist for longer, thus driving extreme droughts, heat waves, downpours and more. ...

The Northern Hemisphere jet stream flows in a wavy pattern from west to east, driven by the rotation of the Earth and the difference in temperature between the equator and the North Pole. The flow is stronger when that temperature difference is large.

But when the Arctic warms up faster than the equator does — which is part of the fundamental definition of global warming, and which is already happening — the jet stream’s flow can become weakened and elongated. That’s when you can get the resultant weather extremes. ...

What the new study is saying is that in summer, in particular, this can occur. Moreover, it finds that a particular temperature pattern is linked to that behavior — and this temperature pattern, featuring an extra warm Arctic, is becoming more frequent over time, based on both observations and also a review of the outputs of high powered climate change models that the researchers conducted. ...

LVWood

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
Arctic Sea Ice data