Author Topic: Use Craigslist!  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Use Craigslist!
« on: October 16, 2008, 01:12:38 AM »
If you don't know what craigslist is, you should!  Craigslist.org is just like our old classified newspaper ads, escept that it is free to post an add, and many thousands more people use it.

There are so many survival-related items that you can get for cheap!  Camping gear especially, people are always selling stoves, tents, firewood, etc off.  Trailers, RV's, even mobile homes!  An example:  I bought an older rusted propane tank for $5.  Then I took the tank to a gas station and traded it for a brand new one filled for $16.  So I got a filled propane tank for $20, instead fo the $45 it would have cost to buy one.

CL also has a "free" section, that you can get all sorts of things (especially furniture!).  When I was a teen furnishing my first apartment, I thought DRMO was my secret find, now its Craigslist, I could furnish an entire apartment for free tommorrow. 

Anyways, any survival minded and self-sufficient individual should be checking this site out!

www.craigslist.org

Bighorn

Re: Use Craigslist!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:31:52 AM »
Last weekend I got 180 canning jars and a pressure canner for $75

A few months ago I got a Troybilt pony tiller (in unbelievable condition, starts first pull) for $265

Craigslist is the first place to go when you want to buy just about anything.
Tony

tash

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:23:33 AM »
+1 on CL esp for firewood. Two weekends ago I picked up almost a cord of hardwood, albeit not split, for 50 bucks. They guy even helped me load it on to my trailer (twice). There was so much wood that I had to make a second trip. In the south I can get a cord delivered and stacked for 130 bucks. Not a bad deal at all if you like heating with wood.

-Tash

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:52:28 AM »
Last summer I picked up at least 4 pickup loads of FREE firewod from people around the Bay Area. I also picked up a load of good, scrap wood/plywood that I used for my raised garden beds and other projects. I've also bought local, raw honey using Craigslist.
Craigslist is a great place to start your search for something.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »
Another website to check out is FreeCycle.org

This is stuff that people are wanting to give away. You would be amazed at the stuff that is moved through this site.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »
I've been checking out CList for my area since this was brought up.  I didn't even know my podunk little area of the planet had a CList page.  There's not much there but I have seen a good deal or two.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
It is also a great place to sell stuff.  We made our final move for a while when we bought our first house.  I had a formidable mountain of boxes and was dreading the though of loading and unloading them at the recycling place.

Then, I remembered that my employer paid a small fortune for them.  I listed about $800 worth of boxes for $100.  Literally 30 minutes later I helped load the last of them into a lady's truck and had the cash in hand.

I won - $100 I didn't have.

She won - saved $700 over the price of new boxes.

Environement won - no new boxes were required to be produced.

Great thing if you ask me.

I read a story about Craig and he has been offerend tens of millions for his website and he constantly turns it down.  He said that he makes enough money from the paid parts to keep him happy and he knows that if he sells, the free sections won't be free for much longer.  He truly values what he is doing for communities and is really a role model for businesses everywhere.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 12:30:08 PM »
Yeah for Craig and Yeah for CraigsList.com!