Author Topic: Massachusetts  (Read 4644 times)

HumeMan

Massachusetts
« on: April 04, 2009, 02:48:34 PM »
Anyone here but me?    ???

Offline russa11

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »
No, I am here ;D

6xddx6

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:02:46 PM »
Me, three.

Offline russa11

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 05:19:40 AM »
well I guess that makes three then

jarhead

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:55 AM »
Don't forget me.  ;D

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
  • Don't hate me because I'm beautiful...
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:31:03 PM »
Let's get this party started.  I live on Cape Cod and for all the prep I do and podcasts I listen to I've come to the inescapable conclusion, if SHTF I'm not getting off this island.  Two bridges, two lanes apiece, to evacuate about 250k people off season and a cool one mil during the summer.  Point being, what good is a bugout location if I can't get to it if I need to.  Alternative plans need to be made.  By way of introduction, I'm a military vet, lawyer, builder, husband, and dad.  I believe prepping is of critical importance and I'm slowly getting my act together.  Jack always mentions networking with like minded individuals so this forum seems like the logical place to start.  I'm always looking for new things to learn and will respond to anyone.  Let's get the chatter going and develop a Massachusetts thread.  We can't be the only people who believe in survivalism in our bluest of blue states.

Cheer, Adam

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 05:28:26 AM »
Let's get this party started.  I live on Cape Cod and for all the prep I do and podcasts I listen to I've come to the inescapable conclusion, if SHTF I'm not getting off this island.  Two bridges, two lanes apiece, to evacuate about 250k people off season and a cool one mil during the summer.  Point being, what good is a bugout location if I can't get to it if I need to.  Alternative plans need to be made.  By way of introduction, I'm a military vet, lawyer, builder, husband, and dad.  I believe prepping is of critical importance and I'm slowly getting my act together.  Jack always mentions networking with like minded individuals so this forum seems like the logical place to start.  I'm always looking for new things to learn and will respond to anyone.  Let's get the chatter going and develop a Massachusetts thread.  We can't be the only people who believe in survivalism in our bluest of blue states.

Cheer, Adam

Depending on the threat you're escaping from, a waterbourne solution may be warrented.  From where you are you should be able to make coastal NH or ME and only a short trip back inland from there will get you into the  hills.

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
Re: Massachusetts Firearms
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:25:46 PM »
The rules are convoluted in MA.  Firearms safety classes are a manditory prerequisite to obtaining a Class A LTC.  While this hoop jumping is a pain I don't have too much of a problem with the permitting process.  Of much greater concern is the availability of firearms.  Handguns sold in retail stores must pass this absurd laboratory safety testing before they can be sold.  Consequently, many great weapons cannot be sold here.  That isn't to say we can't own "unlisted" weapons if we buy them from private parties, but we can't buy them from retail gunshops.  Most notably, Glocks are not on the approved weapons roster.  Not that they're not great and supremely safe weapons, rather Glock probably doesn't feel like absorbing the expense of such testing when their weapons sell out everywhere else in the country.

Once a weapon passes the QC testing mandated by our legislature, it still has to pass the Attorney General's consumer protection regulations regarding safeties, trigger pulls, and so on.  Good luck finding a list of approved AG weapons.  I don't believe one exists.  Sadly, there are many manufacturers who simply can't be bothered with MA's rules and opt not to sell their guns in the Commonwealth.

Welcome to Massachusetts, one of the least gun friendly states in the U.S.

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »

Lately, I've been storing a great deal of non perishable food - most notably rice, pasta, canned beans and soups.  Got the garden going and hopefully I'll have enough tomatoes for a BLT at the end of the summer.  Carbs and starches are easy stores but meat presents some problems.  My freezers are full of stuff but the reality is that I'll be back to square one if we experience an extended power outage and I lose refrigeration capability.  Protiens (meats) aren't the easiest things in the world to store at room temperature.  Ball has a pretty good site and although I don't know how to can food yet, it's on my list of skills to acquire.  Check out http://www.freshpreserving.com/ for more info.  Another alternative are the freeze dried and dehydrated meats available at Emergency Essentials.  http://beprepared.com/  This may just be the ticket for long term meat storage.  Mountain House makes tasty stuff I like but I haven't yet tried reconstituting the meat.  It seems once the #10 can is opened, the unused stock could be vaccuum sealed via FoodSaver canister.  I highly recommend the Food Saver gear.  I've had mine for years and it is as advertised.  Last summer I laid a big patio in my backyard and my wife suggested incorporating a firepit.  Once completed it became the focal point of the patio and friends of mine come over and just veg in front of it.  The pit is half moon shaped and at the corner.  My next purchase will be a Lodge brand camp dutch oven and tripod.  They're about $150 with all the fixin's but it's one more way to cook food without electricity or natural gas.  System redundancy is mission critical.  Feel free to chime in if you have time.  Just the same, I'm glad the posts are being read.  Rock on, Region One

Offline Bob

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »

Cheer, Adam

You might just be better off blowing the three bridges ;D.... If you go south you get double tapped by New Bhesh, and Fall Riv.  24North gets you Brockton.  Rt3 Good luck you'll starve to death before  you get anywhere.

I do have an alternate land route for you.  If you have a dirt bike, ATV or UTV. Jeeps won't fit the obstructions.   On the land side where the power lines cross the canal, there is a clam shack.  At the rear of the parking lot is a trail that goes up the hill.  Take a left at the top.  Pick up the power lines north. To the gas pipeline then on to the green steel power lines that service the Nuke plant. Go north west into Carver/Kingston.   After that in Plympton, the towers span swamplands which can't be crossed.

Ten years ago I made weekly night trips in three hours of hard ATV riding.  My brother and I would ride to the Bourne bridge and walk to Grand-pa's.  I have checked the cross roads by car and still see signs of the trail so it's probably still passable.  

I have also made it over to 495 from the clam shack.  I went maybe 10 miles by a dirt service road that parallels the highway.  

Check out a Topo of the south coast.  You will easily see the route I'm talking about.

Good Luck  

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 07:57:27 AM »
One easy way to get a concealed carry license in MA is to take a part time job as a security guard.  Once you have secured that employment you can take a class to become an armed guard.  As a certified armed guard you will be issued a concealed permit in MA unless you have some outstanding tax or legal issues.

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 06:28:33 AM »
Thanks Bob.  The challenge is getting over the canal to the mainland.  I grew up in Hanover and washed onto the Cape 12 years ago.  The only reason I could see for evacuating the Cape would be an NBC attack or a Pilgrim nuke problem.  I'd still probably just seal my windows and doors and ride it out.

Not a bad idea, Boxes, with respect to LTC's.  I had no problems getting one but it took 90 days for the state to process the request.  I simply wish a greater variety of weapons were available in retail stores.  Even weapons purchased out of state must be shipped from an FFL to a FFL in Massachusetts and the MA FFL can't receive a noncompliant weapon.  No online sites will ship to MA - not even magazines, ammo, or pepper spray.  In the big scheme of things, choice of weaponry is a minor issue.  At least weaponry is still available - for the moment.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 09:36:26 AM »
Part and parcel of the guard / licensing thought process is that in the event some entity wants to take certain weapons away from Joe Citizen.  It doesn't hurt to have a job / certification that requires them to be carried.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 06:44:34 PM »
Hi all. I'm new here and was looking around and saw "Mass" so I thought I'd stop in and say "hi".  I'm way out in the north western part of the state. Anyone here up near me? ;D

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 05:38:39 PM »
Hey HP:

I'm probably as far from you as is possible in MA.  I would like a Berkshire Bugout location someday though.  It's my experience that people vacation on Cape and hope to one day own a home here.  I live here all year and would like to have a second home elsewhere someday.

Cheers, Adam

Offline davej626

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 07:49:02 AM »

Cheer, Adam

Hey Adam. I'm new here, but have thought about this. If I was on the Cape, it would depend on the situation on which plan to implement. If its a total SHTF and the end of civilization as we know it, the Cape may not be a bad place to remain. It has limited, controlled access with the bridges, and plenty of room for crops. Organization would be required to control the bridges and access from them. There is plenty of wind for windmills and open spaces for solar farms and crops. Add in the access to boats and fishing stocks and the 'island' could actually made a go at it.
If its a limited situation, such as an attack on Washington, or New York, then the Cape isn't going to be an easy exit. Especially during the summer season. If an attack happens during the summer, then every tourist on the Cape is going to try to get home. The traffic jams are going to be huge in the first 12-24 hours after an attack. In addition, the economy on the Cape is going to go into the off-season right away. All of the seasonal workers will probably head out as well. After all, no one is going to want to go out to eat while watching 24hr news coverage of any disasters. In this case, a bug-in would actually be the better option. Depending on how severe the attack is, things should become 'normal' after the first 48 hours. If there are no follow up attacks, then eventually, the people will come back and the economy will recover. This would be similar to summer of 2002 after 9/11. It was slower, but eventually, it picked back up.
Now, the third scenario would be an NBC attack scenario. If that happens, then, well, it depends. If its Pilgrim, then we are all pretty much toast. No one would be allowed to use the bridges, on or off, and the Cape becomes Massachusetts third island. If that happens, then you would be working off your stored food until arrangements are made to move food and fuel through the containment areas. If the entire Cape is containment, then they will evac everyone to a secondary location. Probably Middleboro, Plymouth, or further north. You probably wouldn't be able to take much with you and you would have to leave very quickly. You may not even have an option of staying.
Hope this helps.
Dave.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 08:10:47 AM »
Hi all. I'm new here and was looking around and saw "Mass" so I thought I'd stop in and say "hi".  I'm way out in the north western part of the state. Anyone here up near me? ;D

You might want to check out the Free Staters in Keene.

Offline Eric M

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 08:20:44 PM »
I just wanted to say hello.  Did not see an introduction section on forum and thought it best to to in the Mass forum.  I fortunately live on the other side of the cape bridge.

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 09:25:11 AM »
Good assessment Dave.

One of the tangential advantages of a bug in (and an RV in the yard) is that I can commit almost all my available resources to my primary residence.  I started a garden this year and though I know very little, I'm learning and the plants look good.  I went with beans, peas, peppers, tomatoes, and broccoli.  Every time I go grocery shopping I buy a few extra nonperishables.  Every little bit helps.  I need to re roof my house and may incorporate some sort of solar something but more research is in order first.

I'm a little short on firearms and will have to join a local gun club in order to train but I'm looking forward to both.

Welcome to the forum Enik.  While I read a lot of other threads I generally post only to the Massachusetts thread as our laws, economics, climate, and politics are unique.  I'm a building and remodeling contractor as well as a lawyer and I hope the Mass forum continues to generate more interest.

Prepping can be a hobby, but works better as a lifestyle.

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 06:49:52 AM »
 I read quite a bit yesterday and came to realize the 2nd amendment damage former Gov. Mitt Romney and AG Tom Reilly did to the commonwealth.  For those of you who didn't know, Clinton's assault weapon ban, which expired some years ago, was signed into permanent law here in Massachusetts by Mitt.  In conjunction with Reilly, they decided that weapons in MA can't have flash suppressors, collapsable or foldable stocks, or pistol grips.  If a weapon has any two of those, it violates the rules.

The biggie is the availability of ammo, mags, and other parts.  I searched for hours and almost no online source will ship to Massachusetts.  Once again, the rule of law is so convoluted it's not worth the suppliers' effort to conduct business with the citizens of the Commonwealth.

The beat goes on....

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 03:38:58 PM »
More news from the legislative front courtesy of the Gun Owners Action League (kind of the state NRA) www.goal.org  H.4102 "A bill to reduce firearm violence" sponsored by none other than Governor Deval Patrick.  There are dozens of problems with the bill but the biggie that I can see is a proposed restriction limiting the purchase of firearms or high capacity magazines to one per person every 30 days.  Yes, I could conceivably buy a high capacity pistol or rifle (which I'm licensed to do) and have to wait 30 days to purchase the magazine for it.  It's an absolute insult and this bill must die in committee.  Call, write, or email your rep and senator particularly if they serve on the juciary committee and urge them not to support a bill which has zero chance of reducing firearm violence -  the bill's title notwithstanding.

Offline davej626

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »
More news from the legislative front courtesy of the Gun Owners Action League (kind of the state NRA) www.goal.org  H.4102 "A bill to reduce firearm violence" sponsored by none other than Governor Deval Patrick.  There are dozens of problems with the bill but the biggie that I can see is a proposed restriction limiting the purchase of firearms or high capacity magazines to one per person every 30 days.  Yes, I could conceivably buy a high capacity pistol or rifle (which I'm licensed to do) and have to wait 30 days to purchase the magazine for it.  It's an absolute insult and this bill must die in committee.  Call, write, or email your rep and senator particularly if they serve on the juciary committee and urge them not to support a bill which has zero chance of reducing firearm violence -  the bill's title notwithstanding.

This state is so backward thinking its amazing sometimes...

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 04:37:42 PM »
I would be willing to bet when Patrick announces that it's all for the children the bill will pass with flying colors.  >:(

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 08:41:31 PM »
Just went to freedomwatch.com as per Jack's recommendation.  Word has it he was second in voting behind the online poker kids.  When I got there this evening he was actually 400 plus votes ahead.  TSP continues to pick up steam and garner more listeners and attention - it's a damn fine podcast if I do say so my damn self. ;D

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 05:39:33 AM »
there will be a small-ish survival get together the 3rd weekend of July in western mass. if anyone is interested in details, please shoot me a pm. if all goes well, there will be another one in August.

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »
After emailing all seventeen members of the state judiciary committee (15 Democrats, 2 Republicans), a whopping (and most predictable) zero have responded.  As an honorable mention, I forwarded the email to Eric Shelton of the Handgun Podcast and he mentioned me by name -  so that was cool.  We'll see what happens in July when the JC gets a hold of H.4102. :-\

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »
I wrote to all the reps from Mass and have done it several times now. Total response to date: 1 (one)...and he only wrote to tell me that HE didn't represent me, another guy did and not to write again!  >:(

It's almost useless hoping for any reality from politicians here.

Offline lroberge

• Prepper
Re: Massachusetts-update
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
Greetings!  I am here as well.

In Western Mass, but a lover of freedom and knowledgable about survivialism.

Best wishes to all.

Lawrence

Offline AdamElk

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
Hey Lawrence:

I rarely make it out to western MA but I will be leaving the Cape for the October gun show in Springfileld.  It would be nice to see a few more MA people on the forum, though most people I know are not preppers.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »
This is totally last minute for most of you, but I'm hosting a get together for preppers/survivalists this weekend. Please email me if you are interested. We will be having quite a few demos and lots of prep talks. Come for the day or the weekend, camping and bunk space in the sunroom is available.
Herbalpagan@gmail.com

We hope to have another one next month if this works out, but to work out, we need people to attend! lol