Author Topic: Another reason to leave California  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Another reason to leave California
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »
Nobody likes high gas prices -- or taxes -- and Californians are about to get hit with both when a 3.5-cent increase in the state gasoline tax kicks in Monday.

That will give the Golden State the highest gas tax in the nation -- nearly 72 cents a gallon.

http://www.mercurynews.com/traffic/ci_23563585/state-gas-tax-rises-3-5-cents-monday

I just listened to Jack's Friday podcast in which Steven Harris did an in depth analysis of a solar water pump system for a man who lived in San Diego.  He mentioned that California's grid energy price per kilowatt hour was twice the national average.  (He said we pay 20 cents and the rest of the nation pays between 8 and 10 cents)   :(

We pay also pay more for a gallon of milk than any other state.  Not to mention how much we pay for grid water.  The list goes on and on.

Sorry, just venting.  Can't wait to get out of this state.....

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Another reason to leave California
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:25:04 PM »
California is definitely off the hook with their laws and taxes and environmental regulations. Posted an article in firearms legislation and news about some of their anti gun activities! Very sad!

nelson96

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
I feel for ya Ms. A . . .  No body likes paying for something that has little to no perceived value anymore (representation) and/or an end to the means.  The biggest complaint I have in raising taxes in my State is, first prove to me you can manage the money you're already getting. 

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »
get out ASAP! sounds like that is one of your goals. you couldn't pay me enough to live in commifornia. i don't even like to visit there because i can't carry and everything is so expensive.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »
When my wife was finishing her PHD program at UW in Seattle, she got some interest from a few companies in Kalifornia, I told her if she took any of them it would be grounds for divorce..she thought I was kidding but I was thinking about... ;D But since she's the breadwinner I'm not so sure... I just know the main 5-7 cities and states that are very unfriendly for the 2nd amendment were at the top of my no visit list.

Good luck with all those taxes, I think we overpay here at 37.5 Cents...and your double that...

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:12:30 PM »
My car registration is due at the end of this month.  $114 for a 1996 sedan.  But that's not all.  California also requires a smog certificate.  So I just spent $49 (that includes the 8.75% sales tax) to get a smog check.  For a grand total of $163 for a 17 year old car. 

Thank goodness it wasn't a 1995.  The smog check costs $20 more for cars made 1995 or earlier - because the car is SO OLD.  I assume the next time I need a smog check, my car will fall in that category and I will have to pay the additional "fee". :impatient:

I gotta get outta here....

nelson96

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »
My car registration is due at the end of this month.  $114 for a 1996 sedan.  But that's not all.  California also requires a smog certificate.  So I just spent $49 (that includes the 8.75% sales tax) to get a smog check.  For a grand total of $163 for a 17 year old car. 

Thank goodness it wasn't a 1995.  The smog check costs $20 more for cars made 1995 or earlier - because the car is SO OLD.  I assume the next time I need a smog check, my car will fall in that category and I will have to pay the additional "fee". :impatient:

I'm just glad that all that testing and fee's you are paying is fixing the problem.  Thank goodness for forward thinkers such as California legislature's.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:00:27 PM »
Good news, the 1995-1996 changeover is due to the different computer systems in cars, not a rolling change, so next time should only suck about as bad as this time. Unless the car doesnt pass smog. Then it can get expensive.

Joel

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »
No matter how well or badly it goes in every other respect, you will never regret having ditched California. I did it in '06 and haven't spent a nanosecond regretting it.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
did you get my PM?

Offline Gunnywag

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
Whatever you do - Don't unhook your battery in the weeks prior to your smog test!!!  I cleaned the terminals due to a inconsistent start, it wiped the computer memory... & out here that is a big deal!  6 weeks to get enough 'info' to attempt a smog check ( not a daily driver).  "Frustrating" would be an understatement.   >:(

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
I hear you Ms. Albatross, I've been trying to get my parents to consider leaving for a while, but they're up in the northern part of the state so all I hear is "all that stuff is happening down south, it's better up here".

Sounds like the story about the frog in the pot of water to me!

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »
Ms. A where are you going to go?  My wife and I are talking about leaving as well.  But I have a couple of family obligations tying me here.  We have thought about Carson City.  We know people who have moved to Cimarron New Mexico and I have a sister in Syracuse IN but my wife says absolutely not IN

z

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 09:04:26 PM »
Ms. A where are you going to go?  My wife and I are talking about leaving as well.  But I have a couple of family obligations tying me here.  We have thought about Carson City.  We know people who have moved to Cimarron New Mexico and I have a sister in Syracuse IN but my wife says absolutely not IN

z
We're still researching.  Top two choices are the mountains of Arizona or the Willamette Valley in Oregon. 

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 12:13:06 AM »
Yep. Cali is a lost cause.

nelson96

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
Top two choices are the mountains of Arizona or the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

:stop: Arrgh . . .  Nothing against your family, but a lot of the problems we have in our State (Oregon) are due to people being disgusted with what California has become.  So they leave and ironically start trying to make our State more like California.

I live in the Willamette Valley.  I would suggest spending a lot of time here between the months of October and June and see if you still like it, before you move here permanently. 

Offline Lifeon2whls

• Survivor
  • Living on the Road Fulltime
    • We're The Russos
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:20 AM »
:stop: Arrgh . . .  Nothing against your family, but a lot of the problems we have in our State (Oregon) are due to people being disgusted with what California has become.  So they leave and ironically start trying to make our State more like California.

I live in the Willamette Valley.  I would suggest spending a lot of time here between the months of October and June and see if you still like it, before you move here permanently.

Well...to a point. The issue is that "immigration" of liberals from the east coast to CA over many many years has caused CA to slide down into an abyss. This used to be a wonderful place. There is still a strong conservative contingent here but we are trying to move out and go other place...ie OR/WA/TX. OR and WA have been becoming more "progressive" for years, even without Californians. In fact, considering that the OP was discussing the CA gas taxes, OR was actually the first state to enact a gas tax...and they are now working on a per mile driven tax.

I am a CA native. Am I looking to move, yep. I think this is an AMAZING state, however the politicians and the citizens of this state have screwed it up beyond repair. I've been to most of the country and I will say without a doubt that there are few places that are as beautiful and as rich in resources as this state is...we're just throwing it all away.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »

I would venture to guess that 95% of the people on this forum who are from California - who want to leave - are not the types to come and try and make their new home more like California.

I'm getting really tired of people telling me (and my fellow Californian's who want to leave) I'm going to remake their state into "New California".   :impatient:

Don't mean to beat up on you Nelson96 but this isn't the first time I've heard this.  My family has lived in CA since 1909.  This is a huge and heartbreaking decision to leave. :'(

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
a lot of the problems we have in our State (Oregon) are due to people being disgusted with what California has become.  So they leave and ironically start trying to make our State more like California.

Californians have left a very bad taste in the mouths of many Oregonians here for about 2 decades now.

Cedar

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
i'll have to agree with ms albatross here, i do think people tend to beat up on californians for leaving and warping other areas. while that is true, they aren't all like that and i think it'd be good to at least recognize and qualify that difference. people who are leaving for liberty are not the yuppies that leave because they got a better deal on land or wanted a different job.

as a liberty minded community we should be fighting to have folks like ms albatross and her family come to our state because that will be one more person/family who will help to strengthen the local communities and help to preserve the liberty of the state, and possibly even increase the liberty of the state.

i've PM'ed with her about AZ and i hope they come here. we need more people like her and her family here. i told her the state was great except pima county, there's a lot of stupid going on down here and i wish I could get out of the county.

Offline garysco

• Survivor
  • Poor old retired cop, motorcycle rider, KD6UBD
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Not a solution, as I am trying to get out too. But if you can arrange a vehicle mailing address in some of the mountain counties (Mariposa, Amador, ...) they do not require bi-annual smog test until you sell the car.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 03:23:57 PM »
i'll have to agree with ms albatross here, i do think people tend to beat up on californians for leaving and warping other areas. while that is true, they aren't all like that and i think it'd be good to at least recognize and qualify that difference.

That is true.. but you really know which ones are which until after they move here. I would say about 90% or more are the OTHER kind. It is like preppers, it is hard to find preppers.

You can ask Mrs. A. I did send her a few homesteads near me.  ;)

Cedar

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
That is true.. but you really know which ones are which until after they move here. I would say about 90% or more are the OTHER kind. It is like preppers, it is hard to find preppers.

Cedar

totally agree with you that the majority of the people leaving CA are not the 'good' kind, but that would be attributed the disproportionate number of yuppies to preppers.

one note too nelson, since you don't listen to the show you might now know about walkingtofreedom.com. it's another forum that has been set up and it's sole purpose is to help people like ms. a get out of liberty crushing states and move to freer states. it sounds like you know oregon pretty well (at least your area). you might have some valuable information to share with other potential oregonians.

Offline Lifeon2whls

• Survivor
  • Living on the Road Fulltime
    • We're The Russos
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
Like Mrs A, leaving has been a hard decision, but my concern is that...as everyone from OR is mentioning...other Californians are going to screw everything up there as well. Both OR and WA seem to be progressing more and more liberal and harder to keep state/local govt out of your life. We've started looking into TX as well, but I am not thrilled about the fact that there is so much fracking down there. That is one of the reasons we like OR/WA...no fracking and I believe there aren't even reserves of gas in these areas (that we know about). That said, what's the point in leaving if in 10 years we face the same situation we are in today?

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »
as a liberty minded community we should be fighting to have folks like ms albatross and her family come to our state because that will be one more person/family who will help to strengthen the local communities and help to preserve the liberty of the state, and possibly even increase the liberty of the state.

i've PM'ed with her about AZ and i hope they come here. we need more people like her and her family here.

Thanks TWH.   :)  I've appreciated your input and the input of several others on Walking to Freedom.  But even there I have experienced the NIMBY's in regards to Californians.

Cedar

Yes, those homestead listings were awesome!  That's why I like being on this forum - because there are so many who are helpful.  :)

Like Mrs A, leaving has been a hard decision.  Both OR and WA seem to be progressing more and more liberal and harder to keep state/local govt out of your life.  What's the point in leaving if in 10 years we face the same situation we are in today?

Exactly, Lifeon2whls -  We're feeling the same way about Oregon. 

I understand bashing Californian's.  A large percentage of us deserve it.  But I just would ask that - on this forum - you wouldn't bash those of us who are here because we are liberty-minded and working towards becoming more self-sufficient/reliant and have decided to leave this state in order to do just that. 8)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »
I understand bashing Californian's.  A large percentage of us deserve it.  But I just would ask that - on this forum - you wouldn't bash those of us who are here because we are liberty-minded and working towards becoming more self-sufficient/reliant and have decided to leave this state in order to do just that. 8)

Are you going to have 50 million lights outside your home, half of which are going to shine in my bedroom window at night?
Are you going you going to move next to a dairy farm which has been there for 3 generations and force the dairy to go out of business getting zoning changed 'because cows smell'?
Are you going to outprice Oregonians, where we cannot afford live here anymore? Or prevent us from buying our families heritage land?
Are you an illegal immigrant getting pushed further North?
Are you going to cause property and land taxes to skyrocket once again?
Are you going to move here to Oregon, talk about how much better California is and how the people here suck?
Are the Californians going to add to our economic struggle here in Oregon?
Are you part of the issue of larger farms breaking into smaller ones, as your house money is making a subdivision possible to grease the paperwork?

If you answer NO to most of those, you are probably OK. It is the first 2 which really make me mad.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
Are you going to have 50 million lights outside your home, half of which are going to shine in my bedroom window at night?
Are you going you going to move next to a dairy farm which has been there for 3 generations and force the dairy to go out of business getting zoning changed 'because cows smell'?
Are you going to outprice Oregonians, where we cannot afford live here anymore? Or prevent us from buying our families heritage land?
Are you an illegal immigrant getting pushed further North?
Are you going to cause property and land taxes to skyrocket once again?
Are you going to move here to Oregon, talk about how much better California is and how the people here suck?
Are the Californians going to add to our economic struggle here in Oregon?
Are you part of the issue of larger farms breaking into smaller ones, as your house money is making a subdivision possible to grease the paperwork?

If you answer NO to most of those, you are probably OK. It is the first 2 which really make me mad.

Cedar

+1 Cedar. . .  I'm sorry if I offended anyone but as Cedar mentioned, the majority of the people that have moved here from California are a big part of why we are screwed up today and moving more toward a California type State every day.  This is nothing new, it has been going on for at least 30 years that I can offer examples of (including and not limited to Cedar's examples).

As many California's dream of moving to a better place like Oregon, I am contemplating moving from Oregon to somewhere else and I LOVE Oregon.  Californians may not have intentionally aided in our demise but never the less it has happened.  Don't waste your breath or get a cramp in your typing fingers trying to convince me otherwise.

Generalizing, you are all still free to move where you want and I do certainly welcome those that want to give our State back to us.  But keep your earth first, spotted owl saving ideals in California.  Some of us like our renewable resources and don't mind using them to the fullest.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
But keep your earth first, spotted owl saving ideals in California.  Some of us like our renewable resources and don't mind using them to the fullest. 

My point was, and still is, the people (specifically California people) who frequent this forum are not the "earth first, spotted owl saving" types.  Quit beating up on us here.  We don't want to cause the demise of your state.  I'm done....

:deadhorse:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »
the majority of the people that have moved here from California are a big part of why we are screwed up today and moving more toward a California type State every day. 

Yeppers. And now the majority of Californians are doing the same thing to Montana that they did to Oregon. Not beating up on the ones who are leaving the Californian lifestyle behind, or people like you Ms. A.

I am contemplating moving from Oregon to somewhere else and I LOVE Oregon.  Californians may not have intentionally aided in our demise but never the less it has happened.

I am a 5th generation Oregonian and my family came here and homesteaded on land which is now owned by Oregon State University. I would not want to live in any other state in the US (I have been to 30 of them) and if I did move elsewhere again, it would be back to British Columbia, out-of-country.

Some of us like our renewable resources and don't mind using them to the fullest.

Because they are renewable as long as they are renewed. BUT I do agree with not logging Opal Creek, you can't really replace the 1,000 year old trees in there. There are special places here which should not be mined, logged, dammed or depleted and you know as well as I do, if these Fracker guys (or whatever the mineral/commodity of the day is) they would skim the cream off the slim milk and leave everything barren. I have been to KY and TN and what they have done to the hills there. I don't want the equivilent of that here.

A company from CA bought a piece of property me and friend were interested in and they logged every single standing tree off it whether it was mature or not. Then they let it foreclose and did not pay for the land, got away with probably a million dollars in trees and did not replant. The land has been owned by the bank for 3 years now and they also did not replant. By law it should have been replanted within 14 months of when they logged it. To me, this is wrong, wrong, wrong. All around me at the farm here, they clearcut, but the company who owns 30,000+ acres just next to my house REPLANTS as they want to harvest it again someday. It provides many good things in doing it this way, for wildlife and humans since they allow people to do recreation there. This is right, right, right.

I don't want...

"And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry, my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away
" ~ Song by John Prine 

"They took all the trees
And put them in a tree museum
And they charged all the people
A dollar and a half to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And they put up a parking lot"
~ Joni Mitchell

But alot of our land is not good for anything but growing trees. And those trees need to be logged eventually. I do not agree with all clearcutting, but it has its purpose too. I also don't agree with monocropping those trees.

I have teased for years that if you are Californians and want to move up here, you need to have a native Oregonian sponsor you, you have to know the secret handshake and at least 5 things about Oregon before a Californian can even attempt to move up here.  ;)

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
still is, the people  who frequent this forum are not the "earth first, spotted owl saving" types. 

I do tend to be an 'earth first' kind of person actually.

Cedar