Author Topic: Husband Attacked, Wife Can't Load Shotgun Clubs Bear  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
Husband Attacked, Wife Can't Load Shotgun Clubs Bear
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
Interesting article about a man attacked by a bear.  His wife got their shotgun but didn't know how to load it so she used it as a club.  Man now says he'll make sure she learns to load it.  Men, remember that we're the ones needing saved sometimes!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/17/wisconsin-woman-reportedly-saves-husband-from-attacking-bear/?intcmp=trending

Offline radtke

• Herald of the Goatpocalypse
  • Survivor
    • the lost skills podcast
Re: Husband Attacked, Wife Can't Load Shotgun Clubs Bear
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
this happened about 25 miles from where i live. it reinforces the reason i take a gun when i go and cut firewood. lucky for me my wife knows how to use a firearm .

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:40:58 PM »
I cant imagine having a gun in the house that any adult living there wouldn't know how to use....seems like really poor planning.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
Darwin should nominate this couple for a "Near Miss" award.  Not knowing firearms is a survival fail.

I can't imagine having a single shotgun stuck down in the basement that on one can even load.  :o

I'm usually pocket carrying even when I'm at home, and I'm never without a knife (except when I'm working in Communist states like Ill, NY, NJ, CA, etc.).  I get that not everyone is of my/our mindset.  But if you don't have a weapon then you shouldn't run out to confront an animal that can eat you!  What a moron.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »
Darwin should nominate this couple for a "Near Miss" award.  Not knowing firearms is a survival fail.

I can't imagine having a single shotgun stuck down in the basement that on one can even load.  :o

I'm usually pocket carrying even when I'm at home, and I'm never without a knife (except when I'm working in Communist states like Ill, NY, NJ, CA, etc.).  I get that not everyone comes is of my/our mindset.  But if you don't have a weapon then you shouldn't run out to confront an animal that can eat you!  What a moron.

Here in IL you can at least have a 2.5" folder...  :-\...yeah....I know. We suck.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »
Ugh... A painful reminder. A couple times every year my wife decides to go to the range with the boys. She's an incredible shot, due mostly to her love of archery and in particular 60+ yard shots with a compound bow. Alas, the guns are different and I own several different models. Any normal autoloader isn't a problem for her (shoots a 1911 well enough to turn heads) but she struggles to reload a revolver in good time. She constantly forgets the manipulation of an AR and my Rem 870 just isn't in her wheelhouse. She gets single shot loading of a Rem 1100 when we shoot trap but the other long guns are a loss. I didn't think they were mechanically challenging until I got frustrated trying to explain how to charge an AR. Good reminder why we need to share the skills.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25:51 PM »
The Horror!!!

Such a nice side by side isn't meant to get all banged up clubbing a bear! On a brighter note, I'd hate to see how this would have transpired at Boom Boom Biden's residence.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 05:30:53 PM »
I cant imagine having a gun in the house that any adult living there wouldn't know how to use....seems like really poor planning.

I hear ya.

Jay didn't even tell me he had a gun stashed away, and we've been living together for 3 years!  He doesn't go out shooting much, and when we do, we usually just use his sons' since they all have quite a few, so I never saw it and he didn't think to mention it (which is the part I don't understand, but anyway...)

When I found out, I had him walk me through it to make sure there wasn't something I didn't know.  But I was still kind of cranked that he hadn't told me in the first place.  He says he thought he did.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »
Here in IL you can at least have a 2.5" folder...  :-\...yeah....I know. We suck.

Yeah, but,  because you state legislature sucks so badly, y'all get "Constitutional Carry" next month.   

Always look for the bright side...........  ;D

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 06:33:14 PM »

Works great on two legged predators.... but that is just a toothpick for a hungry bear

nelson96

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »
But I was still kind of cranked that he hadn't told me in the first place.  He says he thought he did.

LOL . . .  Maybe he did . . . .  My wife is always getting mad at me for stuff.  She insists that she told me and I know she didn't, but I do remember when I tell her stuff.  It's not my fault that she's forgetful.  ;D

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »
LOL . . .  Maybe he did . . . .  My wife is always getting mad at me for stuff.  She insists that she told me and I know she didn't, but I do remember when I tell her stuff.  It's not my fault that she's forgetful.  ;D

True.  And he is generally pretty thoughtful...

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 10:34:17 PM »
Yeah, but,  because you state legislature sucks so badly, y'all get "Constitutional Carry" next month.   

Always look for the bright side...........  ;D

SSHHHH! Dont jinx us!!!

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »
There is a reason that every member of my household knows how to load, unload, fire, and perform stoppage drills on all of the weapons in this household.