Author Topic: ALICE Packs - Who uses them?  (Read 9029 times)

Offline TRguy

• Prepper
    • Carolina Gun Talk
ALICE Packs - Who uses them?
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
If you do like I do (Have both the Large and Medium Packs) here are the instructions for proper assembly

Hope you find this helps

Alice Pack Instructions

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: ALICE Packs - Who uses them?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
Sorry, I spent entirely too much time with the Big Green Tick on my back to actually want one as a BOB.

As soon as I could , I upgraded to an internal-framed, more ergonomically-friendly pack.

The Professor

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:42:06 PM »
Sorry, I spent entirely too much time with the Big Green Tick on my back to actually want one as a BOB.

As soon as I could , I upgraded to an internal-framed, more ergonomically-friendly pack.

The Professor

+1

I used one in the Army which was great for Army use.

For a BOB I use a cheap pack I don't even remember where I got it from. The Alice is good if you use a lot of stuff that connects to it but I don't (It costs to much and the junk sucks IMO) . The most important stuff is on my belt (just a plain belt) where I can ditch the packs (I have two bags) if needed. It all depends on what you need/want though.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »
I still use the Alice pack.  Train as you fight.  I've "modified" mine for other purposes though.  Having the E-tool and extra water canteens just seems like a necessary evil, but I've added some MOLLE to reconfigure how I carry some of the gear.  Otherwise I'm happy with it.

Niccolum

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
I just pickd up a medium and a large milsurp ALICE pack. I took the medium one hunting this week and will be carrying the large one tomorrow on a group hunt. So far, I am pleased - especially relative to cost. I am sure there are "better" packs out there but they probably cost 8x as much. Unless you're a frequent hiker, I would recommend an ALICE.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
I love them, I am cheap, I use it mostly to stash stuff into / out of the car.  Now would that be my choice of packs for long hikes - na - I do have a slightly better one that has an internal frame and fits just a bit better.

For the money, the Alice pack (medium), works well for my needs.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
I think what I like the most about the ALICE pack (besides being relatively dirt cheap compared to the new stuff), is that you can remove the pack and build up the frame with pack boards.  Many people have never done this, but with the packboard conversion there are many benefits.  Ask any mule skinner or professional guide what the usefulness of packboards are.  One thing we've done is build our cache supplies into packboard configurations.  I can roll up to the cache point, pull out the supplies, lay them on the packboard frame and secure it with some ratchet straps, then roll right out.  It saves my back a lot of tweaking by securing heavy ammo cans and other items directly to the frame instead of bouncing around in the pack.

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »
I've had my medium Alice since I bought it from an Army base in Holland back around '88. It's been around the world with me; it was my drag-bag for my chem gear in Saudi. I've also got a large Alice that has Molle straps and kidney belt.

nelson96

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
I think what I like the most about the ALICE pack (besides being relatively dirt cheap compared to the new stuff), is that you can remove the pack and build up the frame with pack boards.  Many people have never done this, but with the packboard conversion there are many benefits.  Ask any mule skinner or professional guide what the usefulness of packboards are.  One thing we've done is build our cache supplies into packboard configurations.  I can roll up to the cache point, pull out the supplies, lay them on the packboard frame and secure it with some ratchet straps, then roll right out.  It saves my back a lot of tweaking by securing heavy ammo cans and other items directly to the frame instead of bouncing around in the pack.

The only thing that I'll add is that I used a surplus packboard to pack meat for many years.  I finally broke down about 10 year ago and bought a more-up-to-date packboard. . . .  Packing any distance, no matter the terrain, with weights up to about 80 pounds is much easier for me now.  The surplus packboards/alice packs leave a lot to be desired.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »

The Professor

This. 

I have a kifaru now.  Much better. 

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »
I use a medium Alice for my BOB. I changed the hip belt to the one that is used on a Molle II and it is much more comfortable. I too packed the big green tick around for awhile but always had issues with the belt. I added some pouches from a British pack and it works pretty well.

I tried some civilian packs but couldn't get things like a folding shovel, machete or axe to ride right. I like the radio pouch for extra ammo.

Offline TNSurvivor

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:07:14 PM »
I use a large ALICE for my BOB that I picked up on Craigslist in almost perfect condition.  Tons of room and I don't have to worry about it not handling heavy use.  Plus it keeps my newer internal frame pack available for other needs without having to unpack the BOB.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
 I have a love affair with a girl named Alice.
I bought one from sportsmans guide about 15 years ago in high school. The first one they sent me had a problem with a strap. I sent it back and they sent me a different one. It was my portable locker in high school. I use it so much and my locker so infrequently that I had to go to the office to ask for my combo when I needed it. I wore it full of books riding my bicycle too and from work and school just about everyday. I still have the same pack. And hears why,
   Big as heck. I have the large one.
Tough as heck.
Will carry much more than the reccomended load and not break.
Metal frame.
Adaptavle. This year, I'm going to improvise some wheels for it and a telescoping handle to use as a rolling bag. I may even try to make a set of wheels big enough to let me hook it to my bike as a trailer.
  It is super well designed to attach stuff to. As my bob, it has a machete stuck in it "ninja" style as well as a collapsable cane as a walking aid. Both fit perfectly between the shoulderpad and frame without rubbing on my back.
   Very stable when full. Its shape allows you to lean against it comfortably when its on the ground. Pretty comfortable back rest for a short nap. 
   Fast access to important gear if you pack it right. Draw strings on the pockets and snap flap adjustable closures are pretty secure.

Lots of pockets.

The only downfall of the large is that it is a little wonky if you don't have it full.

I wish someone would make a small alice out of leather. Wait, leatherworking is one of my 13, maybe I will do that.

Offline Heisenberg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 04:59:04 AM »
Question for the ALICE fans-

I know there are different sizes of the packs.  Are their different sizes of frames?  I have a relatively new frame that I like a lot, but the pack itself is kind of small and kind of beat up.  Could I get something bigger and have it fit on the same frame?

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »
I've only ever used the large. I probably would've known in high school when I was more into gear than I am now. Call the guys at www.oldgrouch.com and they can tell you. They didn't have frames a few days ago but they can tell you all you need to know.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »
Question for the ALICE fans-

I know there are different sizes of the packs.  Are their different sizes of frames?  I have a relatively new frame that I like a lot, but the pack itself is kind of small and kind of beat up.  Could I get something bigger and have it fit on the same frame?

There's only one size of ALICE frame.  You do have two choices now - the original MILSPEC aluminum frame and the plastic DownEast 1606AC (ALICE Compatible) frame.
http://downeastinc.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

The 1606AC is made by the same company that makes the current MOLLE frames - there's enough ALICE lovers out there for them to continue supporting the old girl.  The advantages of the plastic frame are:
  • lighter
  • compatible with MOLLE gear - making a HELLCAT hybrid easier
  • better fit to the wearer's back - this is subjective though, YMMV

The only downside I've found so far is that you lose the large empty space between your back and the pack.  That space is great for sticking in a hydration pack or other gear.  There's probably enough room to mount something thin like a machete on a 1606AC pack, but not a hydration pack.

If you don't know what a HELLCAT Hybrid is, basically it's using the MOLLE shoulder straps, belt, and Military Sleep System bag on an ALICE Pack and frame.  Google it and you'll find detailed instructions and write ups on ARFCOM, ZombieSquad, Bushcraft Forum, etc.  I'm using one and it is much more comfortable than original ALICE setup.  It's not Kifaru or Mystery Ranch comfortable, but it's cheap.  Uncle Sam's Retail Outlet is a good source for the MOLLE gear if Old Grouch doesn't have it.

BTW - if you like ALICE looks, but want a MOLLE upgrade, SPEC OPS Gear still has their Retro Recon Ruck Ultra available.
http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/retro-tactical-gear/recon-ruck-ultra.html

Offline Heisenberg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 10:29:03 AM »
Awesome info...Thanks a ton!!!

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
Got one, a lg, love it, love the price, tend to put more into it than l can carry due to it's size and my being out of shape.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »
I think most people disparaging the ALICE pack are doing so based on the "stock" pack.  Meaning, they haven't "modified" it.  Get an old Army foam sleeping mat and some 100-mph tape.  With some scissors and creativity your ALICE pack can become the best and CHEAPEST pack available.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »
I've used the large pack and frame for canoeing in the Boundary Waters for years. Admitedly, I only had short portages, but It fits a canoe well (not too wide) and when hung from a tree is like a portable closet. The small and large outside pockets make organization easy. I also found a stamped aluminum shelf that fits over the bottom bar of the frame. It only extends a couple of inches, but provides a base for securing ammo cans, a jerrycan or any heavy, bulky item that can be lashed to the frame (packbag removed). I'm not sure how well these packs work on a long trek; I'm happy with mine.