Author Topic: Scared of guns... Alternatives?  (Read 36324 times)

Offline jpbearit

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Scared of guns... Alternatives?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
I decided on a Glock. Just haven't purchased yet.

That's great Robinelli. have you found a source of training yet? keep it simple but complete. tell'm you need to know the ABC's before you work on reading.  I had a guy try to convence me that learning shootist techniques was more important than learning to clean my gun.  I know... he never even got a wiff of that $1000 he wanted to turn me into a SWAT badass.

And remember R... shooting is alot of fun. Just like sex... if it ain't fun, you ain't doing it right.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
Technique is probably just a hair more important than cleaning just beacause its the shooting that does the work. But just by a hair. I probably wouldn't pay someone to train me who phrased it like that guy did to you. Good job on avoiding an overpriced lesson in something you probably won't need or use. Practical defense pistol instruction is probably tons more useful for the average person than a full on tactical course. That stuff works best with a team, that's why you have swat teams, not a swat guy. I always find people advertising stuff like that and I find it amusing.

endurance

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »
I just started mentoring my former boss in shooting (she just retired last year).  She got her CCW on her own, using the instructor's .22 handgun for the live fire portion.  We went to the range with everything I own, starting her on my Ruger Mark II, then shooting a .38 special, then my XD9.  We went back to the Mark II and she was the most comfortable with that, so she spent the rest of the evening shooting it.  A few days later she asked me to go gun shopping and we found her a nice Walther P22 that she's comfortable with carrying and training with for now.  No, it's not an ideal self-defense weapon, but it beats a sharp stick and it'll give her something to bring to the range.  Her goal now is to shoot and get comfortable with it, then she'll probably move into a M&P Shield 9mm (which I think is a fantastic gun for women (full frame single stack 9mm)).

There's not many of us who just woke up one day and felt comfortable with a 9mm or 40S&W.  It took a progression.  Most of us who've been shooting forever forget about that.  Robinelli, I hope you get the chance to shoot a lot of different things and get some good instruction along the way.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »
Ok so I know this is in the firearms section so maybe not the most unbiased place to post this question, but I didn't see a better place to post it!

Due to some private reasons I have developed a fear and distrust of guns. However, I don't feel quite safe without one, either.  I am wondering what might be a good alternative. Currently I have mace, a stun gun, and a knife. The knife probably isn't much good but I carry it along with mace when walking. Anyway, I do have two small children in the house so it has to be something I can store safely and easily. My husband is considering getting a gun down the road but we can't get it until we can afford a gun safe and even then it will be locked up and pretty well useless- and I won't touch it. So does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? The stun gun I have is about the size of a flashlight and while I've never tried it out it just doesn't have my faith that it would stop someone.

I really appreciate your willingness to take the plunge an post your question on this forum. I had a friend whose grandparents were totally terrified of guns due to some atrocities that they were all to close to in occupied Holland during the war, and know of an elderly Italian lady who still cannot sleep through a thunderstorm because of experiences with arial bombing during the war (she nearly thought she'd die when an empty bomb rack hit the roof of her family home). I certainly wouldn't throw the "if only you had a gun" arguement at people like that and am hardly surprised by the aversion that came from the life experiences that you posted earlier. I think that it helps the gun community as a whole to know how to tactfully respond to people in your situation.

I think that the other posters covered the safety considerations well enough and agree with starting with smaller, less intimidating firearms even if those are not generally considered powerful enough for your intended purposes for having one. It's not a race, so take it slow and easy. and don't worry about others judging you.

Offline USMC2531

• Prepper
  • Watching for signs of the inevitable collapse
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 06:40:49 AM »
Before anyone says it....I know this thread is over a year old, but I am very curious as to where Robinelli is at this point with her fear of guns. It was an interesting read and this forum offered some very sound advice on an issue I had never considered.

I blame my curiosity for this necro-post.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »
I just realized I possibly should've put my most recent post right here! Maybe the moderators will move it or maybe they won't, I'm not sure. But I would like to update here since I've found my old thread....

It took me a while but....
I have just purchased my first gun!  About a week ago I purchased a Glock 42 and I have been practicing with it quite a bit.  I am actually enjoying it a lot!  It turns out I love shooting!  Who would've guessed?  I am getting over the initial fear of the gun.  I was actually scared of even holding it empty at first.  I'm a pretty good shot from 15 yards but I am definitely in need of improvement.  I'd like to be pinpoint accurate ;) I feel like I'm not holding my head in the right position.  If anyone has any good videos for that I'd appreciate it.  I would also like recommendations for a good conceal and carry holster for this particular gun.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions!  :)

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
I'm so glad you posted your update!  Before I went to the range with a girlfriend and tried the 22 I really wasn't wanting to shot a gun.  Boot camp wasn't the best introduction to shooting or guns LOL.  I'm glad your loving it.  I don't know of any videos but I really enjoyed this thread and am glad you have worked thru your fears. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
Hey Robenelli, welcome back, and congratulations on getting over those fears!

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 04:53:23 PM »
I'm so glad you posted your update!  Before I went to the range with a girlfriend and tried the 22 I really wasn't wanting to shot a gun.  Boot camp wasn't the best introduction to shooting or guns LOL.  I'm glad your loving it.  I don't know of any videos but I really enjoyed this thread and am glad you have worked thru your fears.

Thanks! I recently shot a Ruger 22 and LOVED it!!! I was a lot more accurate with it than the Glock, I guess because of the longer barrel.  I want one now! I can't figure out why people don't love those guns?!  Yes, getting one gun has opened me up to many new things and I spend time thinking about what I want next!  I really want a revolver, too!  LOL!  I'm practicing as often as I can. 

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »
Hey Robenelli, welcome back, and congratulations on getting over those fears!

Thanks! Good to be back!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
...I really want a revolver, too!...
I know the feeling. I had to get one. See http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=44922.msg573059#msg573059

I am really glad to hear you have gotten the bug, Robinelli.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
I know the feeling. I had to get one. See http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=44922.msg573059#msg573059

I am really glad to hear you have gotten the bug, Robinelli.
Oh wow! I'm a little bit in love with that gun!!!  The Ruger I shot was a 22 but this combines both things I want! A revolver and long barrel Ruger! Ignore my lack of terminology I'm sure there's a name for that style gun ;)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »
Get a heavy duty cane and learn to walk with it. Or a stout umbrella will also help. A KIMBER tear gas gun will also lend confidence . Rarely is a gun the only answer ,but with training...it is still the best equalizer as most attackers won't attack unless they perceive physical advantage.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 10:45:03 PM »
Robin,
 Im glad you have jumped off the high board!
Now, there are a few things you should do.
 Follow any and all of the advice below you feel is right for you. Guns are not the only PR even the right answer. Training. And go listen to the episode Jack did with Massad Ayoob on dealing with the aftermath of using deadly force. Great episode. Good luck and congrats.

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2014, 04:32:53 AM »
Good skills Robin!  ;D

The Glock is a good solid piece of kit, have you considered backing it up with bear spray? I've heard that that stuff is pretty evil (not sure on the legalities though, i'm Australian!).

Well done for confronting and conquering your fears!