Author Topic: SCCY HANDGUN  (Read 6249 times)

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
SCCY HANDGUN
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
One month ago my wife finally moved up to a 9 mm pistol.  She like a SKKY (sky) pistol made in Daytona  beach Fla.  She bought the cpx-1 black carbon steel in 9 mm.  It was very inexpensive, turnes out this purchase was cheap.  After one hundred rounds the breach in the barrel expanded and swelled.  We called SKKY and they said,  Oh yeah.  those black carbon barrels weren't suppose to get out.  They sent us a new barrel right away..  so far so good.    Except this gun is very fussy about which ammo it will fire.  It is notorious for light strikes. Even if we use winchester ammo. which it likes the best, it still has a 10 percent lite strike problem..   And now the rear sight will not stay tight.  And the metal guide rod is getting chewed up.  Badly dented up by the springs Upon other internet searches.  I found this to be a common problem.  I don't think I will trust my life to this pistol.  It seems to be far too unreliable to suit me.

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
Re: SCCY HANDGUN
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:17:03 AM »

A used Glock 19 for $350 will last you a lifetime. 

Sorry you're having a bad time with that gun. 

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:38:52 AM »
I would trade or sell that thing before it breaks. Sounds like a sloppy manufacturing process. When I worked in a gun shop we constantly turned away things like this. They are made for people that never shoot, and will run a few hundred rounds and then are just wore out.

Offline smith06

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
We just got one.. Hoping we dont have the same issues.  If so, I'll definitely go with something else.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »
Buy quality or buy quantity. I learned my lesson when I bought a Kel-Tec.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:28:37 AM »
If she liked that look and feel, consider replacing it with a Kahr K9

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9.asp

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »
If she liked that look and feel, consider replacing it with a Kahr K9

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-K9.asp
we ended up getting her the Bursa thunder 9mm.   Its a very reliable handgun.  we've to date had 1k rounds through it and not a jam yet.  this bursa is very well built and is easy on the pocket book,  She chose it due to ergonomic reasons.   I guess it would be a good time to unload that turkey of a SCCY.   by the way. any body want to buy a 9mm pistol with three mags?   ;D

Offline Mark Shadow

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 11:55:08 PM »
I know that this is an old thread on the Sccy handgun.  However I just wanted to share my experience in case someone is researching handguns.

I purchased a Sccy CPX2 in February of this year (2015).  It has been reliable with a variety of ammunition to include self defense ammunition.  Not a tremendous number of rounds downrange, about 350.  I did not do any torture testing.  I cleaned the gun after I purchased it and I clean it after I shoot it. No wear issues, but of course 350 rds  is not a huge test.

The trigger is difficult, but not unmanageable.  For those with modest hand strength, it might be an issue.  Accuracy is good,not great, but completely adequate for self defense.  The sights are good as well (as opposed to some small handguns).

The Sccy CPX2 was on sale at my LGS for $199.00.  OTD it was about $211.00,  At that price point it is worth every penny.  I have seen  them on-line in the $220.00 range.  According to what I have read, Sccy has been improving QC, and has a very liberal warranty.  So far  I am pleased with the performance of this budget pistol.  Just wanted tp add $0.02 in case someone was out looking.

--Thanks