Author Topic: Would you take "that guy"?  (Read 14722 times)

Offline USMCAllen

• Survivor
Would you take "that guy"?
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »
Heres the game. You need more people in your group. Here are the prospects. None are able to provide their own preps, only their skills and knowledge. You have enough preps to choose 4 from these people. Who and why are what I want to know. Let's see if your interested in these folks.

52yo male and female. Male is Former firefighter injured his back on the job. Still likes to tinker in the garage when he can. Has a wife who can cook pretty good and no kids. No criminal history but will deplete your beer stores faster than most.

29 year old billy bad ass. Graduated bud/s at 21 and just decided to part ways with uncle Sam. His fit, he's tough, but don't ask him to can the harvest.

36yo female. She cooks cleans and cans. Pretty organized, has some prior expirience working as a sherrifs deputy in a rural county. The only thing she asks is that you don't hit on her, make her "man the lp/op", and she asks for a private room.

43yo man, worked a nearly full career for the county as a social worker. He had a wife and son who took off and left him. His favorite hobby is woodworking, and he has pictures of a house full of well built and beautiful wooden furniture and more. He is very mellow and doesn't really like the idea of "fending off the hordes"

22yo male. Electronics repairman in the army. Just back from a tour in Afghanistan. Got in a little trouble with the MPs for a drug possession. Says he will do better and needs a place to stay.

72 yo male and female. Both grew up doing things the old ways. The male has had a stroke, but still tries to go elk hunting every year. The female is in good health but if you do something wrong she is sure gonna tell you. She is too old to be sugar coating anything anymore.

45yo male and female. He is a dedicated prepper and knows several useful skills. Can process food and procure safe water. Fixes almost everything himself. Even knows how to shoot guns but isn't exactly billy badass. Oh and his wife is parapalegic.

39yo man. Claims to have lived in the woods for over 6 months by himself in the past. Says he knows the location of several caches. He doesn't need to join you but says it may be easier. Says he's been a survivalist since he was 16

14yo male. Big for his age, healthy looking. Been in the scouts and is already thinking of his eagle scout project. Hard worker, good grades in school, and says his favorite activities are wrestling and airsoft. Plans to join the army.

23 yo male. Grew up in California and can show you anything you need to know about growing things you don't want other people to find. Can set up solar arrays from start to finish. All he needs is a room for him and his plants.

31 year old male and female. Male works as a telecommunications expert. He has computer skills you wouldn't believe. He also knows how to use almost every tool in the shed. He loves guns but has never had any formal training with them. His wife is a house wife. She really wants to learn to can food and really likes the idea of prepping. They need to find some help or their marriage will fall apart.

24 yo male. Has a 2 year old daughter that he hasn't seen in 6 months. He got a felony charge after he ran from the police because he didn't want another speeding ticket. He used to work for a company that sold electronics. Got his HAM licence in high school. Likes guns and is a pretty good shot. You know there's something he isn't telling you though.

Let's hear your picks and why.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:31:31 AM by USMCAllen »

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Would you take "that guy"?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »
I really feel like I need more information about the SHTF scenario.

Is the government and its ability/desire to uphold law completely gone?
Is there still a grid to tie into?

If the answer to those questions is "yes" and "no" respectively, then my picks, in order:

14yo male. Big for his age, healthy looking. Been in the scouts and is already thinking of his eagle scout project. Hard worker, good grades in school, and says his favorite activities are wrestling and airsoft. Plans to join the army.

I love the sound of that kid. He is young, healthy, respectful of authority, and shows a desire to succeed regardless of the project (school, scouts, sports). He won't have the stigma of "I can't do it" that often comes with adults who want to find an easier path, and he will not have an issue with learning to do anything. I already have more respect for him based on your 4 sentences about him than I do for most of the other folks we've got to pick from.

45yo male and female. He is a dedicated prepper and knows several useful skills. Can process food and procure safe water. Fixes almost everything himself. Even knows how to shoot guns but isn't exactly billy badass. Oh and his wife is parapalegic.

The male alone is worth several picks. His skills, his ability to fix things and his ability to procure safe water and process food say a lot about him. The fact that he has stayed with his wife despite her handicap says even more about him. The dedication he shows, as well as his desire to survive and provide for his wife make this couple a major plus for me and my family. Also - just because his wife is a parapalegic doesn't mean she's useless. She might know a hell of a lot about a hell of a lot and might be able to teach many others how to do things. You don't need your legs (or anything else below your waist) to do dishes, can and process food, make soap, or shoot a gun.

The next pick is ALMOST a  flat tie between:

43yo man, worked a nearly full career for the county as a social worker. He had a wife and son who took off and left him. His favorite hobby is woodworking, and he has pictures of a house full of well built and beautiful wooden furniture and more. He is very mellow and doesn't really like the idea of "fending off the hordes"

and

23 yo male. Grew up in California and can show you anything you need to know about growing things you don't want other people to find. Can set up solar arrays from start to finish. All he needs is a room for him and his plants.

The 43 yo man would be extremely useful in carpentry, and most especially in creating beautiful items useful for trade. He's going to give us a ration of shit, though, when it comes to treating bad people the way bad people need to be treated in war-like situations, and his social worker attitude will get under my skin quickly. I may end up tossing him out on his ass just for being such a humanist at some point in the future, and I'm not sure that his carpentry skills are worth the headache of wishing I had chosen differently.

The 23 yo man would be extremely useful in the garden AND in dealing with passive solar projects. I'd bet money that he's a genius when it comes to aquaponics too. And he probably won't mind at all being put to use in the kitchen, or as a pain management "doctor". Pot heads are never terribly vain or delusional when it comes to skill, but seem to always be willing to do anything as long as it involves food or growing food - and they're creative little bastards. The problem is that he won't be very motivated unless it is clear that he is being rewarded for work with the freedom to grow his nonsense. He'll also eat more than the typical guest and sleep longer than anybody else in the house.

Neither of them would be useful in a fight.

But having said all that, I'd choose the 23 yo pothead as my last pick. Pain management is helpful, and his skill in the garden will be far more important to me than the social worker's skill with a lathe. Not knowing how to use a lathe won't kill you if TSHTF. Not knowing how to garden effectively and efficiently WILL kill you if TSHTF. So mr. california is more important to me.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:41:27 PM »
btw, that was fun. :) Thanks, Allen.

Offline notsofast

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
I'd have to say I'd need more info about the scenario as well. If it's a total collapse and no chance the grid would be up for extended periods (if ever) I don't really see much need for someone with telecom experience but that's just me. Now, if you're talking a regional SHTF and the grid will be back up in 6 months to a year, then tech or engineering guys are ok. Is the landscape violent? Are there hoards? If so, then anyone military or law enforcement is more desired than gardeners. If it's peaceful, then gardeners are better than cops. But, I can tell you I wouldn't take billy badass. Or the guy who ran from the cops for speeding tickets. Billy bad ass very possibly poses a threat to... Well, anyone... Everyone for that matter. And the speeder sounds impulsive. Doesn't think about the consequences, which could also be a threat.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »
My first thought after reading the exercise is, "Who is my awesome Intel Person?"  ;D

The following are thoughts that come to me off the top of my head. I may find I feel differently about each given a little time. I also only have the information about each that you've provided, and the tone in which some were represented went a long way in my decision making.

52yo male and female. Male is Former firefighter injured his back on the job. Still likes to tinker in the garage when he can. Has a wife who can cook pretty good and no kids. No criminal history but will deplete your beer stores faster than most.

These two wouldn't be my first choice, but there are some skills here that are useful. I'd say they're a possibility.

29 year old billy bad ass. Graduated bud/s at 21 and just decided to part ways with uncle Sam. His fit, he's tough, but don't ask him to can the harvest.

I'm assuming that this guy knows a decent amount about security and holding his own in a fight, so depending on the situation he may have come in handy. He may have come in handy, but he seems to have a problem with doing some things that need to be done. My place isn't going to be under constant attack and my people aren't running any missions, but everyone will have to eat every day. His 15% usefulness is overshadowed by his 85% uselessness and piss-poor attitude.

36yo female. She cooks cleans and cans. Pretty organized, has some prior expirience working as a sherrifs deputy in a rural county. The only thing she asks is that you don't hit on her, make her "man the lp/op", and she asks for a private room.

WTF is it with folks and doing jobs? If I can only take in four people and I currently only have three with me, jobs are going to get shared. I can cook clean and can food. I can teach those skills to pretty much anyone who will help me hold the place together and do what needs to be done no matter what I ask them to do. While I wouldn't be as annoyed by her unwillingness to take on the observation post duty as I would by the Seal who won't preserve food he needs to survive, I'm afraid that she might have to go somewhere else.

Building is a great skill to have, but I may need help defending the place and I don't need a case of someone not doing something or halfassing it because they're not into it. These folks are mighty picky to be in such a hard world. I'd have to ask this guy to leave as well.

22yo male. Electronics repairman in the army. Just back from a tour in Afghanistan. Got in a little trouble with the MPs for a drug possession. Says he will do better and needs a place to stay.

The drug thing worries me quite a bit. I don't need anyone raiding my stash for medications or going through detox while things need to be taken care of.

72 yo male and female. Both grew up doing things the old ways. The male has had a stroke, but still tries to go elk hunting every year. The female is in good health but if you do something wrong she is sure gonna tell you. She is too old to be sugar coating anything anymore.

I'm not really sure what "Both grew up doing things the old ways" means. Does this mean exorcising demons instead of getting medical treatment, marrying off children at the age of twelve and so forth, or are there more practical skills that they have that would help here? I'm going to assume that the old ways may help us even if they're only able to pass on the information and techniques. The bonus is that he may be a good shot and a good hunter and I can tell the other one to shut her cake hole because it's my joint. These two may be a possibility.

So far with the game of you have to take the bad with the good these two seem the most viable proposition thus far because he has skills and a working knowledge of what preparation means in the long count of days.

39yo man. Claims to have lived in the woods for over 6 months by himself in the past. Says he knows the location of several caches. He doesn't need to join you but says it may be easier. Says he's been a survivalist since he was 16

After nearly 15 years of studying these skills myself and having grown up in the Appalachians I've come to the conclusion that they're great to have to get you through a short term emergency, but living in that mode for any amount of time sucks. Stick close dude. You've always got a place to crash if you're out there in trouble and we can always do some bartering, but I need to retain the lifestyle of people more modern than australopithecus. I don't need to just survive, I need to thrive.

Bingo! There's one! This kid is and represents the future. If I'm not passing something on to the next generation I'm surviving just for the sake of living. Here's an opportunity to actually help out someone who might affect the future.

This guy has some skills that would be very useful. He'd be a definite possibility. I have near zero electrical skills and my first actual garden doesn't begin until this spring. He'd be filling a gap.

31 year old male and female. Male works as a telecommunications expert. He has computer skills you wouldn't believe. He also knows how to use almost every tool in the shed. He loves guns but has never had any formal training with them. His wife is a house wife. She really wants to learn to can food and really likes the idea of prepping. They need to find some help or their marriage will fall apart.

While the computer knowledge doesn't knock my socks off the willingness to learn on the part of these two and his knowledge of tools make them stand out a little. And while drama generally annoys me, the marriage problem isn't an automatic deal breaker for me.

24 yo male. Has a 2 year old daughter that he hasn't seen in 6 months. He got a felony charge after he ran from the police because he didn't want another speeding ticket. He used to work for a company that sold electronics. Got his HAM licence in high school. Likes guns and is a pretty good shot. You know there's something he isn't telling you though.

I see the knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade here. "He chose poorly." I don't need a person with poor risk assessment skills dragging me down.

In the end, I'd hate sending anyone away. Given the community I'm lucky enough to live in, I'd most likely be able to arrange for something in the area for everyone who wanted to stay. It would be a real possibility for all of these people to find a place here.

Having said that, my choices would be "Boyscout", "Mr. Solar" and "The Prepper and The Mrs.".
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:04:32 PM by Nicodemus »

hobbs67

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »
Oooh, this is fun and surprisingly difficult;

Seals are generally reported to be tougher then heck and ingenious.  I'd take the lack of desire to can and deal with it in exchange for the rest in a second.  Depends how bad the intimated attittude is for whether there is a problem overall and whether that would cancel out the gains.

Marital problems will seem less important if you are stuggling to survive on a daily basis. 

Hard worker, good attitude, good shape goes along ways.

versus --

an injured back alcoholic.  The mechanical skills are tempting and he will dry out as I have no beer stores. 

another hard cut, but the difficult personality is not outweighed by skills which are generally replaceable.

Mr. Social worker is way down on my list. 

The drug bust was not a huge problem, depending upon the person it could be stupidty versus real criminality.  Since i have someone with electronics knowledge already I cut him but it may be worth a shot.

Only axed because this is a package deal.  Two 72 year olds, one with health problems is too much to carry physically.

Wow, tough one -- I would say no, but I feel bad even hypothetically

Nope and nope. 

[/quote]

Goatdog62

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
I'm just going to assume it's a long-term total SHTF, with no near-term assistance on the horizon. We are totally on our own.

He can use tools, which will make preps, defenses, repairs, etc more likely to happen. He likely can take care of business in a fight, lack of experience doing so be damned, we'll all be experts soon. She wants to prep and work on the critical food stores. The fact that they have a troubled marriage is irrelevant to me. As long as they are productive, I'll play marriage counselor, sympathetic bartender, and/or divorce court judge as needed.

No brainer. Attitude and vigor will override whatever he lacks in experience. He'll be under my wing as my aide-de-camp and learn fast.

36yo female. She cooks cleans and cans. Pretty organized, has some prior experience working as a sherrifs deputy in a rural county. The only thing she asks is that you don't hit on her, make her "man the lp/op", and she asks for a private room.

Again, a worker that can probably hold her own. I don't plan on a full-time LP/OP, I can use scrap plywood to make her a private room if I don't already have one, and have no plans to hit on her. The 14 year old she'll have to fend off herself.  :)

Not counting the spouse, one son, and five daughters I have in my immediate family, these additional two males and two females present decent odds of reproduction sometime in the future. Something that may be important in the very long run.

They can be trained to the level I've trained my own family, appear to have minimal disciplinary issues, and have years of productivity ahead of them.

I like this game. Someone should post a challenge like this with more detail about the disaster/TEOTWAWKI that got us here. Tell me what duration I'm likely facing. Tell me what my BOL, transportation, logistics/stores, community, external media sources, climate, current threat level, nearest water source, etc is. I have my current situation figured out but would love to "what if" some new ones.

Good post USMCAllen

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
I like this game. Someone should post a challenge like this with more detail about the disaster/TEOTWAWKI that got us here. Tell me what duration I'm likely facing. Tell me what my BOL, transportation, logistics/stores, community, external media sources, climate, current threat level, nearest water source, etc is. I have my current situation figured out but would love to "what if" some new ones.

Get a good storyteller, and you could conceivably run a full RPG on this idea.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:05:29 PM »

1) 43yo man, worked a nearly full career for the county as a social worker. He had a wife and son who took off and left him. His favorite hobby is woodworking, and he has pictures of a house full of well built and beautiful wooden furniture and more. He is very mellow and doesn't really like the idea of "fending off the hordes"
- this guy might come into his own in new circumstances, should not challenge for leadership

2) 23 yo male. Grew up in California and can show you anything you need to know about growing things you don't want other people to find. Can set up solar arrays from start to finish. All he needs is a room for him and his plants.
-Tomatoes and weed are almost the exact same plant, good electronics knowledge and stealthy

3/4) 31 year old male and female. Male works as a telecommunications expert. He has computer skills you wouldn't believe. He also knows how to use almost every tool in the shed. He loves guns but has never had any formal training with them. His wife is a house wife. She really wants to learn to can food and really likes the idea of prepping. They need to find some help or their marriage will fall apart.
- shared adversity builds relationships very quickly

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 07:36:13 PM »
This sounds like pre-SHTF, so I’ll assume none of these are emergency charity cases.  In the order they were presented:

52yo male and female.  No.  Just too middlin’, with maybe a few whiffs of trouble.

29 year old billy bad ass.  Yes.  8 years in Navy shows stability, plus bud/s grad shows extraordinary talent.  He can teach, he can fight, sure to have many other skills too – medical, comms, etc.

36yo female. Yes.  Totally complementary skills to 29 yo billy badass.  Can teach a lot (see the lady below).

43yo man, social worker.  No.  It’s been my experience that sw’s come in two flavors: lotus-eaters or hard-core sensible.  (Remember the guy Jack interviewed last fall?)  This guy seems to be the former kind.

22yo male.  No.  Not bad, but mostly redundant.

72 yo male and female.  No.  If they don’t have family, I’d try to help them as “associate members.”

45yo male and female.  No.  Too much skill overlap with other members (including me).

39yo man.  No.  Just seems flaky.  I could further explain, but let’s just leave it at that.

14yo male:  No.  If he showed up post-SHTF, he’s not a prospective member, he’d be a moral obligation and automatically in.  The fact that he’s such a great kid is more icing on the cake.  But (assuming we’re still pre-SHTF), where’s his family?  You can bet that if his folks were onboard with prepping, that’s where he’d be.  But even faster, you can bet that if his folks aren’t onboard, they’re going to be all over you with trouble.  He can hang out and learn, some, but at 14 he’s with his family.

23 yo male.  No.  Redundant skills, and his plants will bring the law down on you.

31 year old male and female.  Yes.  Good existing skills, good skill bases to build on, especially with what the other two new members can teach.  Will have to work on that marriage thing though, and joining this group will probably help that.  I hope.

24 yo male: No.  Smells like trouble.  Not seeing your 2 yo for 6 months would take a heap of explaining, and I’m probably not going to buy it.

Allen, that was interesting!  It was a lot like a puzzle with a bunch of interlocking pieces.  OK, now I can go off and read everyone else's replies.

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 01:35:06 PM »

I have no beer or percocets... No

No... Call it personal preference but I don't like billy badasses or attitudes

Possibly... I won't ask her to "man" anything, but everyone has to "stand watch"

No... If you're a social worker who's family abandon you, you're already tormented more than the zombie hordes (*zing)

Yes, c'mon in son... But your drugs will be confiscated and locked in med supply (heroin is one heck of a painkiller), any issues and you're out! No second chances...

Yes...Knowledge is invaluable... Plus if you ever have to be on the move then the old adage: "You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster that the slowest in your group" goes into effect  ;)

Yes... If he's a dedicated prepper than he's taken onto account his wife's disability and has prepared for it (solar powered wheel chair fitted with saddle bags type thing)...Oh yeah!

No... I can claim to be the Czar of Canterbury, but that doesn't mean squat until I need to prove it! Simple psychology, if he's asking to join us then he needs us (and he knows it); I'm calling bullsh*t!...

Yes, c'mon in son... Are you thirsty or hungry? BTW have you met my daughter, she's 13  ;D

Yes, c'mon in son... I need some help with my solar project and stealth vegetable gardening.... Your personal plants are fine as long as half goes to the group for medical purposes, rope manufacturing, and clothing (as well as the other 100+ things that can also be made with hemp)

Yes, rewrite your vows kiss and make up. We have a lot of work to do!

No... If you'll bail on your own blood you'll bail on the rest of us... Good luck Champ!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:50:47 PM by Mike Honcho »

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »

Pass. No useful skills.

Pass. Looking for people who will do whatever needs to be done. Need more of a ranger than a seal.. :-p

Maybe. HOW did she ask for her own room? Sounds like maybe a bad experience with a fellow male watchstander.. worth asking about.

Nope. The woodworking skills would be nice, but anytime 'the hoards' show up and there's a difficult decision to be made, he's going to err on the side of generousity and giving people 'the benefit of the doubt'. Rougher times demand a higher standard of proof.

Yes, on a clearly spelled out probational basis. Definatly gets some immediate responsibilities to live up to.

No question, they're in. I can use the wisdom, skills and honesty.

Absolutely in. Will probably prove to be the most motivated/valuable member of the group. The fact that he's with his wife AND preps.. awesome.

No thanks. Soft 'no' to allow the possibility of future alliances/trade if his statements prove to be true.

I'll take 3 of these please! Or more if you got em.

Tricky. You say he can 'hide food' but how much does he know about growing it? The solar skills are nice, but they're really a one shot deal, certainly not worth trading a permanent spot for. The decision would be based on how much of his product he's sampled (energy level, coherence, attitude).

Don't really need the computer skills, but it is indicative of a certain kind of person (meticulous, detail oriented, self-learner). Firearms training is no problem, and tool skills are a plus. Wife's attitude is great. There should be some time for therapy, in the sense that the need to survive tends to bring people together, so they're in.

24 yo male. Has a 2 year old daughter that he hasn't seen in 6 months. He got a felony charge after he ran from the police because he didn't want another speeding ticket. He used to work for a company that sold electronics. Got his HAM licence in high school. Likes guns and is a pretty good shot. You know there's something he isn't telling you though
Ha ha ha. Great, a spy for some criminal gang who will cut and run at the first sign of trouble. No thanks.

The problem here is I've chosen 9 instead of 4, largely due to the couples. That means if I want the 14 yo dream member I can only choose one other couple. So, I'd have to take the 14 yo, the 22 yo and the 72 yo couple, which would immediatly be put in charge of the other two, and begin a complete skills passdown. =)

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
My thoughts in the order presented.

52yo male and female. Male is Former firefighter injured his back on the job. Still likes to tinker in the garage when he can. Has a wife who can cook pretty good and no kids. No criminal history but will deplete your beer stores faster than most. - one of the last I would consider

29 year old billy bad ass. Graduated bud/s at 21 and just decided to part ways with uncle Sam. His fit, he's tough, but don't ask him to can the harvest. - down the list but useful; see my idea at the end of the post

36yo female. She cooks cleans and cans. Pretty organized, has some prior expirience working as a sherrifs deputy in a rural county. The only thing she asks is that you don't hit on her, make her "man the lp/op", and she asks for a private room. - near the top of the list, but ditto the comments at the end.

43yo man, worked a nearly full career for the county as a social worker. He had a wife and son who took off and left him. His favorite hobby is woodworking, and he has pictures of a house full of well built and beautiful wooden furniture and more. He is very mellow and doesn't really like the idea of "fending off the hordes" - absolutely the last I would consider

22yo male. Electronics repairman in the army. Just back from a tour in Afghanistan. Got in a little trouble with the MPs for a drug possession. Says he will do better and needs a place to stay. - near the top of the list, but ditto the comments at the end.

72 yo male and female. Both grew up doing things the old ways. The male has had a stroke, but still tries to go elk hunting every year. The female is in good health but if you do something wrong she is sure gonna tell you. She is too old to be sugar coating anything anymore. - near the middle of the list, but ditto the comments at the end. Ouch too, as I am closer to this guy age-wise than to the 22 year old!!!  ::)

45yo male and female. He is a dedicated prepper and knows several useful skills. Can process food and procure safe water. Fixes almost everything himself. Even knows how to shoot guns but isn't exactly billy badass. Oh and his wife is parapalegic. - middle of the list, but ditto the comments at the end.

39yo man. Claims to have lived in the woods for over 6 months by himself in the past. Says he knows the location of several caches. He doesn't need to join you but says it may be easier. Says he's been a survivalist since he was 16 - based on what's given, all hat, no cattle Big no, next to last on the list

14yo male. Big for his age, healthy looking. Been in the scouts and is already thinking of his eagle scout project. Hard worker, good grades in school, and says his favorite activities are wrestling and airsoft. Plans to join the army. - top of the list, trainable with skills already in place

23 yo male. Grew up in California and can show you anything you need to know about growing things you don't want other people to find. Can set up solar arrays from start to finish. All he needs is a room for him and his plants. - near the top of the list

31 year old male and female. Male works as a telecommunications expert. He has computer skills you wouldn't believe. He also knows how to use almost every tool in the shed. He loves guns but has never had any formal training with them. His wife is a house wife. She really wants to learn to can food and really likes the idea of prepping. They need to find some help or their marriage will fall apart. - near the top of the list, but ditto the comments at the end.

24 yo male. Has a 2 year old daughter that he hasn't seen in 6 months. He got a felony charge after he ran from the police because he didn't want another speeding ticket. He used to work for a company that sold electronics. Got his HAM licence in high school. Likes guns and is a pretty good shot. You know there's something he isn't telling you though. - near the top of the list, but ditto the comments at the end.

My comments: Develop a set of written rules before talking with any of them. Address the behaviors expected and consequences if they are violated. That way, they can refuse without you having to ay no.

If 22 yo badass won't help with the harvest, or the aging Princess refuses to "man" the OP/LP, they need to know they will end up on the other side of the wire with little more than a week's worth of rations and water and anything they came in with. Some responsibilities - such as food, shelter and security - are non-negotiable, everyone works on them. With highly limited exceptions (e.g. medic caring for a sick person), everyone works on the basics come hell or high water.

For everyone, but esp. for the maritally challenged couple, the rule would be if you split up - fine. Be adults and work with the rest of the people, you will be accommodated, but act like an ass and you'll be gone.

As for other duties, do as Jim Collins suggests and get the right people on the right bus in the right seats. That is, play to their strengths and let them grow in positions that maybe are new to them but which plays to their backgrounds and desires. If Billy badass doesn't want to cook, fine, he will be doing something else until it is time to eat.

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 05:11:24 AM »
Your personal plants are fine as long as half goes to the group for medical purposes, rope manufacturing, and clothing (as well as the other 100+ things that can also be made with hemp)

Just popping in here to add a bit of technical info: hemp and marijuana are--botanically-- the same plant, but hemp has little-to-no detectable THC. For an excellent history on the war on hemp, check this out: http://www.gametec.com/hemp/fiberwars/index.html

In terms of cultivation, in order for marijuana to be valuable (besides the THC), it is grown to maximize the number of leaves. You want marijuana plants with a lot of foliage. In order for hemp to be useful for things like rope and clothing, it has to be sown thickly (like flax) so that the plant grows with a very tall, thin stalk with very few leaves. And the process for getting that fiber out of the stalks is involved and time-consuming and requires a good supply of water. It doesn't just happen magically. If you're curious, Google "flax retting" and see what it takes.

You COULD probably make rope or clothing with marijuana plants, but it would be crappy rope and clothing.

So you'd better hope Junior here has a lot of seeds, and you're going to have to have a special area of the garden for growing cannabis for clothing and rope. And someone who knows how to turn it in to clothing and rope.

Otherwise, very interesting thread!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »
Is this a general anything SHTF scenario? Wildfire? Economic collapse?

My picks:

1-2 --   31 year old male and female. Male works as a telecommunications expert. He has computer skills you wouldn't believe. He also knows how to use almost every tool in the shed. He loves guns but has never had any formal training with them. His wife is a house wife. She really wants to learn to can food and really likes the idea of prepping. They need to find some help or their marriage will fall apart.

They would be out of the world where they probably have the issues at. They can also have a relatioship out of a relationship in a SHTF situation and have seperate corners in the house. If that it their only issue, SOLD! I would be so willing to teach her to can and with 4 people to feed, we need to have another set of hands to proces food.

Her husband sounds like he would be good at various electronic and to gizmo things or scab things together to make things work. This is an area I lack.

3-4 -45yo male and female. He is a dedicated prepper and knows several useful skills. Can process food and procure safe water. Fixes almost everything himself. Even knows how to shoot guns but isn't exactly billy badass. Oh and his wife is parapalegic.

I am presuming she has lived as a paraplegic for a multiple amount of time and has learned to deal with her situation or doesn't know the difference if she has been that way since birth. Just because she can't walk means she cannot do anything. I bet she can milk goats, cook, start a woodstove, put up food. I know a guy who is in a wheelchair and rock climbs as well as skydiving. So I am not holding that against her. I also know a person who was shot and made paraplegic and if rides mules, so if we needed to make her more mobile in a wheelchair unfriendly scenario, there is always a horse to steal.

With him being a prepper, it is one less person to teach.

------------------------------------------------------------

If I had a 5th, I would have chosen:

5./ 14yo male. Big for his age, healthy looking. Been in the scouts and is already thinking of his eagle scout project. Hard worker, good grades in school, and says his favorite activities are wrestling and airsoft. Plans to join the army.

He sounds like he would be plucky enough for the experience and is a responsible level headed kid. As a scout I presume he knows how to build a fire and knows basic survival skills at the minimum. Also young enough to still take requests/orders without questioning too much and probably agile enough to climb a tree to put a comm attenea in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have beer so he would nto be interested in coming along anyway. How severely did he injure his back? I did in the past and I have days I really did too much. Can he lift anything at all?

If we need ya we need ya to can. You can cut up carrots to can if you want to eat.

She sounds like a prima donna. I would like a private room too.. I might not get one. How does she feel about the barn?

He would be one that would be good, but I chose the others.

I would not write him off either, but no drugs here.

How bad of a stroke? A health risk? How mobile? Does he have enough meds that he needs? How often does she see something as 'wrong'?

Can I have a test run to see what he knows? I know several who claim alot of things. I also know alot of guys who say they work on cars and then I start taking cars.. and then I question if they know cars and then I will throw some bizzare-ass 'mechanical repair' out there and they agree with me. While all the time I had just made it up. Lots of people say they are outdoor-y/survivalists and would not live a week with Mother Nature.

That would be great if we had any solar panels to set up. Apparently he can garden hydroponically? How many plants? 2 or 1,500? Can he garden in a garden?

Everyone has secrets. How bad is my 6th sense saying he is not telling me enough?

Cedar

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
Just popping in here to add a bit of technical info: hemp and marijuana are--botanically-- the same plant, but hemp has little-to-no detectable THC. For an excellent history on the war on hemp, check this out: http://www.gametec.com/hemp/fiberwars/index.html

In terms of cultivation, in order for marijuana to be valuable (besides the THC), it is grown to maximize the number of leaves. You want marijuana plants with a lot of foliage. In order for hemp to be useful for things like rope and clothing, it has to be sown thickly (like flax) so that the plant grows with a very tall, thin stalk with very few leaves. And the process for getting that fiber out of the stalks is involved and time-consuming and requires a good supply of water. It doesn't just happen magically. If you're curious, Google "flax retting" and see what it takes.

You COULD probably make rope or clothing with marijuana plants, but it would be crappy rope and clothing.

So you'd better hope Junior here has a lot of seeds, and you're going to have to have a special area of the garden for growing cannabis for clothing and rope. And someone who knows how to turn it in to clothing and rope.

Otherwise, very interesting thread!

hehe! I know DTM... I wasn't trying to pass bad info, rather just trying to be vague about how much I know... Trust me, we'd work it out just fine ;)

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
hehe! I know DTM... I wasn't trying to pass bad info, rather just trying to be vague about how much I know... Trust me, we'd work it out just fine

I am sure you would!  8)

It just made me realize how much some of us DON'T know but assume that we do . . . lots of people know that hemp used to be made into ropes and clothing, but asking them how it's done is a completely different story. And marijuana legalization advocates have done (IMO) their cause a huge disservice by equating hemp with marijuana (and they haven't done us hemp lovers any favors, either). We all have a lot of "theoretical knowledge." This just happens to be a subject near and dear to my heart so that's why I leaped in. Didn't mean to threadjack.

Back to your regularly scheduled "picking of people to allow into your BOL."

hobbs67

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
hehe! I know DTM... I wasn't trying to pass bad info, rather just trying to be vague about how much I know... Trust me, we'd work it out just fine ;)

Alright, I will be the first to say that me and Billy, my bud/s friend will be raiding Mike's compound whilst they are "reaping the bounty of their garden" likely while listening to Steppenwolf.  I bet they will have a great store of snack food, at least for a while.

It will be like candy from a baby as I will wear my hackysack resistent vest.  :D

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »
Alright, I will be the first to say that me and Billy, my bud/s friend will be raiding Mike's compound whilst they are "reaping the bounty of their garden" likely while listening to Steppenwolf.  I bet they will have a great store of snack food, at least for a while.

It will be like candy from a baby as I will wear my hackysack resistent vest.  :D

ROLF! "hackysack resistent vest" very nice Hobbs ;D
(+1 for the laugh)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:21:36 PM by Mike Honcho »

Offline USMCAllen

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 09:53:19 PM »
Ok so since I think there has been all responses that will come, it's time for a follow up:

Few observations: a clean background is simply not enough! Most of you wouldn't take anyone unless they had SKILLS.

Skills are the trump card, but they are teachable. You were more than eager for the teachable, even if they didn't have highly developed skills.

A fishy backstory is not a disqualifying factor, AS LONG AS you remain useful.

Specialized skills are not desired. Nobody said "billy badass can do all the firewatch cause I hate that crap, he's in"

Why did no one see that a counselor type would be useful in a high stress environment? Or the fact that other members who COULD compliment each other perfectly are simply missing a BONDING agent?

Thoughts? Want me to do another one? More in depth personalities? More specific scenario?

Offline yoshi

• Survivor
  • Learning to be an ant
    • New Jersey Personal Defense Academy
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 06:02:47 AM »
The people I would choose:

72 yo male and female
14yo male
36yo female

Why? Because they seem the least likely to be able to survive on their own, and I have a personal values system that tells me I should help people when I can. All others, if possible, but since we're limited to four people...

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:22 AM »

The older people know more than we have time to learn. In a real WTSHTF situation they're our only hope, IMO. I'd prefer people in their 60's with a few more years in them but if I could feed them and thought they were in good health, I'd think the 70 year old couple is the most valuable in the group you supplied.  They lived the skills we need to learn and have alternative ways of doing things we can't find in books. They had to rely on their brains to get through life and are more adept at creativity and survival than I think we will would be initially.

The 14 year old because even though teenage boys take unnecessary risks, they are also fearless and will do just about anything. They also have the endurance and strength to do almost anything. (I would NOT however tell this person you choose them b/c without the existence of an actual emergency the parents could think you are a weirdo and then you end up in all kinds of trouble). My only concern with this choice is the family would need the boy. I am assuming his home life is not good and that's why you think he'd be willing to leave them.

The 23 y.o. male. He is also at the peak of health age wise and also has the knowledge to help with plants. With 2 people in their 70's, it would be a good idea to counterbalance the group with 2 healthy younger people to ensure continuity long term.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
Why did no one see that a counselor type would be useful in a high stress environment? Or the fact that other members who COULD compliment each other perfectly are simply missing a BONDING agent?

I can't speak for anybody else, but I think that anybody with more than half a brain can act as a mediator in a stressful environment. When you're limited on enrollment, letting somebody in when they'd rather talk it out than shoot the people who are trying to kill us is not smart IMO.
I didn't even think about people who would work well together. I just worked on filling holes with people who were multi-talented.

Want me to do another one? More in depth personalities? More specific scenario?

Yes!!!

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
36f
14m
31mf

i too would like more details.  for example, what do the people look like?  I'm not asking if the 36f is a former victoria's secret model or if the 31m is brad pitt a few years back, I just think that you can tell a lot about a person by how they look. 

Out of this group, only one of them is proficient with guns, and that one just happens to refuse to take watch duty.  Thats fine, on the condition that 36f trains 31m (who just so happens to love guns) on proper gun safety and use.  Uh oh, 31m and 36f are spending some time working together, and 31f is a little (a lot) jealous.  How about 36f gets to spend an equal amount of time teaching 31f how to can food. 

14 year old can shadow everyone.  Once he gets the hang of things, I'm pretty sure as a teenager it is still a novelty to stay up late, so let him take the late shift on security.  That lets him do something else teenagers like to do... sleep late.  Also, I am assuming 14m's parents are dead or missing for an extended amount of time.

As far as the rocky marriage goes, I don't care.  There are other things to worry about and plenty of ways to occupy time away from the person you hate for the moment.  They would almost never have to interact with each other.

And yes, more scenarios would be fun.

Offline Insidious

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »
USMCAllen

Your description said your 43 year old woodworker was a 'social worker' not a 'counselor'. There might be some overlap, there might not. If he's Shepherd Book from Firefly, awesome choice. If he's someone who spent all of his time shuffling paperwork, not so good.

Even so, with such a small number of choices, there isn't going to be a lot of down time for counseling, and the number of relationships is too small to need a lot of mediation. Your talking about something more akin to a dictatorship, even if its a benevolent one (people can be 'ordered' to get along or get out).

Of course the reality of that is that it WILL become more democratic as the members become less dependent on YOU for their survival, as they'll have the option to leave and set something up on their own. At that point, they have to be wooed into staying (more carrot and less stick).

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 09:26:48 PM »
Only 4 huh.

Reminds me of me heading into high school.  And a couple of my friends.  Has potential to be trained in may things.  Combat (shooting and wrestling) but also hunting, woodscraft, etc.  Most high school guys I've met find that kind of stuff "cool".

This guy alone is worth 3 or 4 of the others.  Knowledge is a far more valuable asset than "stuff".  And he seems to have a wide variety of it.   

And like Sis said, don't count out the lady in the wheelchair.  One of the most self-reliant women I ever met was a classmate in college who was in a wheelchair.  She had a drive to prove herself like no-one I've ever met, she wouldn't be talked down to and she pulled her own weight and then some with any task she set her mind to.

Last place is kinda tough.

. . . or, less likely . . .

Depends on what kinda survivalist the guy was.  One of the asocial, cult, or racial supremacist whackos that give us all a bad name and he can pound sand.  Ditto if he's a fat-ass armchair survivalist.  And' I'd expect a thorough demonstration of the skills he can bring to the table.  But unless, the 39 year old guy has some amazing talents, like herbal med expertise or instructor level mastery of primal survival skills, I'm taking the young guy. 

SF guys are trained to handle EVERYTHING, including survival training that they might well have bet their lives on.  So survival training, medical training, combat expertise, plenty of security and probably the only guy who can teach me (and the rest) what Uncle Sam spent millions teaching him.  I know how to can, and I'm sure the survivalist or wife would be able to handle learning it.

Though I'd figure out if bringing the pothead on board would increase our production enough to justify him.

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »
I wrote down my responses before reading the other responses and might need to make some changes after reading more, but here are my original picks:

14yo male.
I picked this one immediately. The rest, not as quickly.

It will be good to have someone around who can cook and stuff. Plus, tinkering is cool.

Getting a HAM license in high school and possibly knowing stuff about electronics would come in handy. Everyone makes mistakes. Assuming the SHTF bad enough that I'm even taking in outsiders, then the SHTF really bad, and I wouldn't hold just these mistakes against him. Of course, if I actually met him in person I could get a better 'vibe' and decide if he would make the cut IRL.

Offline USMCAllen

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:50 PM »
Ok... Here's round two, in a whole new way.

The situation is that uncle Sam is pressuring for military action against Iran for whatever reason (insert your conspiracy theory here). China has pledged to take action against the US along with its "many friends near and afar" if any action is taken against Iran.

The following "threats" are likely:

1) military action leads to counterattacks on US Soil.
2) within months the power grid and transportation systems can be disrupted by the war.
3) foreign troops could be bound for your home town.
4) only local economies would survive, and the dollar is less likely to be taken then a wool blanket as payment in this economies.

Now the first person to respond gets to play "host" this round. We will be using YOUR location as the reference point. (say what city/state your in, type and size of town, any relevant nearby facts.)

Then I'll go day by day, week by week, and person by person to see how rough it might get. If you are NOT the host: make suggestions to the host to what you would do, ask question about the Hosts surroundings to "flesh out" the realism, and chime in with any observations.

Round two will last through 7 "challenges" and 3 "months" (in fictional time). Who knows who you will meet or why they will come. If a weakness is seen in the Hosts planning, it may get hairy.

Goatdog62

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »
I'll play.

I thought I'd use my toughest location. My actual home and BOL's )one mine, one family owned) are easy. This one is difficult.

Yorktown VA. Not in the city itself whichis several miles away, but on the isolated Yorktown National Battlefield yards from the 2 mile wide York River, on a 40 foot bluff with access to the river within a hundred yards. There are approximately 40 homes and little else that isn't Battlefield or Yorktown Coast Guard Station.

This is a peninsula. To leave here, you need a boat, a helicopter, or drive in one of four directions;

1. North on land thru Richmond/ I-64 and a couple smaller state highways. Sometimes the peninsula is only a few miles wide between the York and the James.

2. South thru the Hampton Roads Bridge/Tunnel and into the huge metropolis of Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/Suffolk. No major interstates from there. An alternative in that direction is the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge/Tunnel. Pretty much the same result, into a large metro area with heavy traffic.

3. West at a ferry crossing at Jamestown VA. Takes you into Surry VA and rural farmland...but you are off the peninsula.

4. Across the York River at the Coleman Bridge in old Yorktown and into Gloucester (yet another peninsula on the Chesapeake Bay)

More to follow...

Goatdog62

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
Your home is at;

18S

367514.28 m E

4120823.26 m N

I'll standby until I hear from you USMC.