Author Topic: DIY practice lockpicking lock  (Read 12927 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
DIY practice lockpicking lock
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
If you are just starting out learning to pick locks, one useful tool is a practice lock.  Practice locks can range from $60 to $120 and more for multiple lock sets.

One way around this is to make your own practice lock form a common house hold dead bolt found at any hardware store and many department stores.  This is a five pin lock that can be picked up fr as little as $10.

After removing dead bolt assembly the lock mechanism can easily be removed from its bezel. You now have your 5 pin practice lock.

To take this further you can remove the top plate of the lock and expose the springs and pins.  This will make it clear how the lock works , if there is any question at this point.  The lock can the be reassembled with three, four or all five pins in any order that you want. This will allow you to practice at whatever level you wish

Once this  lock is mastered, you may wish to find a dead bolt with “anti picking features”  These will have two or more mushroom or spool shaped pins that make it harder (not impossible) to pick.

Now as a VERY basic tutorial (Much better can be found with about 20 seconds and Google)

This is a basic pick set and torque (tension) wrenches

Place the torque wrench and the bottom of the key slot and provide light clockwise torque.  It takes practice to know how much torque to apply.

The pick is then inserted to the back and worked to the front manipulating the pins along the way.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: DIY practice lockpicking lock
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 05:56:34 AM »
Cool, thanks for posting this.  I've been "planning" to teach myself how to pick a lock for quite some time.  Maybe this winter is the right time.

For locks, I've seen many at flea markets and yard sales for next to nothing.  Or even check with neighbors.  I have one in the basement from when I swapped out the locks of the house.

Warning:  Before you get a set of lock picks and start learning how to do it, make sure those lock picks are legal in your area.  According to the Lock Wiki, possession of lock picks is illegal in Kansas, Mississippi and Virginia.

Offline Griz

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
Thanks for the post.  This has been a skill I've been wanting to learn and now I have no excuse to get started.

Offline dc9137

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 04:19:31 AM »
ITS Tactical has a good tutorial on how to make an inexpensive practice set.  I did it and it works like a charm.  I also have the Bogota tool set they use.  They are fantastic!

http://www.itstactical.com/skillcom/lock-picking/how-to-make-an-inexpensive-diy-lock-pick-practice-set/

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:44:38 AM »
I have thought about this being a problem in a "SHTF situation" and was wondering if I could break a key off in the lock. Would that make it easier to pick or would it make it more difficult to do? I think it is a good skill to learn but I do want to be able to protect myself from it. I have also toyed with the idea of putting something like toothpicks or crazy glue in the lock.   

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline jim124816

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »
Guys, drthumb's practice set technique is very good and I recommend it.  In addition, you may find you know of friends that have pad locks laying around and no keys that match.  I have built a nice collection of practice locks this way. 

Offline jim5350

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
heres a great video ive found on how to pick a dead bolt hope this helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K6YB2mz-us&list=HL1325099034&feature=mh_lolz

Offline jcarsey

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »
I made this for fun with some scrap locks I found sitting around in my garage.  I had (and have) quite a few more locks sitting around as I used to be involved with property management.  Every time we replaced a lock I had a box that I just tossed the lock in, never had a real purpose, but seemed silly to throw them away.  They are 3 different manufacturers (not sure why, just worked out that way), but I hope to see if this hobby is fun now!

Offline will3117

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
its easier to just use a drill and drill the pins out works 100 percent of the time.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 07:06:55 PM »
its easier to just use a drill and drill the pins out works 100 percent of the time.

Now, there's something I hadn't considered for a survival pack: a battery-powered, high-torque hand drill and it's appropriate charging station.

The Professor

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »
And of course no one is going to use this for anything but SHTF/Emergency purposes right!!?!?!?!?!  ???

Cedar

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »
I have actually used this skill.  I had played around with the technique before, but never gotten the hang of it, then one day at work, my boss needed to let the fire inspector into the neighboring business for an inspection (the owner had passed away and the family had us handle the ins and outs until they could sell it) and he tested his key, unlocked the deadbolt, made sure it was ready for the inspector, then locked the handle on his way out.  Not realizing the handle and deadbolt were different keys.  I made a pick and tried the longshot (knowing I wasn't good at it yet), and I couldn't believe it when it actually opened!  I went back and acted all cool and was like "Okay, it's open..." ;D

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
could have used this today when i locked my keys in my truck when the wind blew the door shut.
had to get my back up key. unlock the house, get my backup truck key to get the keys out of the ignition. stupid me. :facepalm:

Offline boredparamedic

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
I have used my lock-picking skills several times when responding to emergency calls to gain access to patients. PD was impressed that I could get in so relatively quickly but never said anything about me carrying picks. The secret is in the tension...too much and makes it hard to manipulate the pins ,Too little let the pins spring back....