Author Topic: What's the difference between Berkey black and white filters  (Read 6924 times)

Offline The Quiet Man

• Prepper
This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the real difference between Berkey's white and black filters?
From the description on the site, they both filter out sediment, impurities and bacteria. Now a pair of black filters go for $107 and a pair of 9" white filters go for $89. I'm sure the price difference is not just due to the different color  :). So what's the real difference?

Offline Welshrats

• Prepper
Re: What's the difference between Berkey black and white filters
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:09:39 PM »
The short answer, is that the black elements filter out more impurities. The white elements appear to be slightly better suited for travel.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:10:55 PM by theberkeyguy »

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 12:09:53 AM »
Well, given that they remove chlorine and are black...my money says they are  impregnated with or a blend of ceramics and activated carbon. 

Offline The Quiet Man

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
The short answer, is that the black elements filter out more impurities. The white elements appear to be slightly better suited for travel.

Thanks. I googled but somehow didn't come across this one.  :-[
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:11:41 PM by theberkeyguy »

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
Differences between Black Berkey Elements & White Ceramic Filters:

White ceramic filter elements:
Last around 1000 gallons per set of 2.
They reduce Chlorine up to 90 percent.
They remove Pathogenic Bacteria to 99.99 percent, according to the tests at Spectum Labs in Arizona.
Easy to clean, as the filter collects contaminants on the outside of the filters. Just brush on the outside of the white ceramic filters.
Contains an inner core of carbon, but not as powerful at removing contaminants than the black berkey elements.
Does not remove any viruses from the water.
http://directive21.com/super-sterasyl.html

Black Berkey elements:
Last about 6000 gallons.
Last about 2-3 years or more, but based on usage.
Made of coconut shell carbon, the superior class of carbon.
Cleaned by back flushing or priming the filters, which involves pushing water through the filters backwards.
The black berkey elements absorb many of the contaminants, so that is why they need to be primed every 3 months.
Removes almost all the contaminants the white filters will remove, but to a higher level.
It removes pretty much all of the chlorine, 99.999999%, and VOC's, to the same level. Has been tested by the same lab as the white ceramic filters, and the tests show that the black berkey elements remove contaminants to a higher level.
Removes some viruses to non-detectable levels.
http://directive21.com/accessories-black-berkey-purification-element.html

I personally use a Royal Berkey with 2 Black berkey elements. I recommend people purchase the black berkey elements, but the white ceramic filters are still good filters and have been around for over 100 years in Britian.

The White ceramic filters are 7" or 9" in length. The 7" filters are the only ones sold in Britian, as the 9" are custom made for New Mellenium Concepts, the creators of the black berkey elements. The 9" filters are only sold in the USA.

Feel free to ask questions here, i'll be happy help.

theberkeyguy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:29:22 PM by theberkeyguy »

Offline The Quiet Man

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
That made it crystal clear. Thanks.