Author Topic: New Jersey - am I the only one?  (Read 4663 times)

Offline kimber

• Prepper
New Jersey - am I the only one?
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:56:54 PM »
Am I the only crazy one still living in this horrible state??  ???

The main reason we are here....homeschooling laws.....one of the best in the country!!

I live in extreme southern NJ. Delaware Bay side. I live in a rural area, my whole township has less than 4800 people in it.

DH is comfortable here. As is DS13. However me and my two DD's (16 and 10) really want out. They aren't into the "home-ies" that the nearest large towns attract.  :(

So anyone else from Jersey???

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: New Jersey - am I the only one?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »
I used to live there, but moved to PA because of the high property taxes and high cost of homes.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »
My In-laws live in New Jersey and are hammered by taxes, toll roads, and jug-handle turns.

Talk about being unhappy with the political landscape. The corruption there is epic and evident.

I suspect that an exodus from Jersey has been going on for quite some time. It just doesn't grab the headlines like everyone bolting from CA.

Are you the only one? I doubt it, but I'd bet there's less independent minded people in NJ every day.

swanson

StvAwake67

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 05:31:39 AM »
Hey Kimber I just found this site and also live in southern NJ. A little north of you closer to Phila. But I am sure glad to be here and find others with like minded ideas on the current climates.

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:59:31 AM »
We are so close to moving!! Something happened today that has really brought it to a head and I actually have DH talking with me about potential places  :) Now to decide where......

StvAwake67

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »
 I've thought about it, but between family ties, and a bad economy which really puts a damper on the ability to find work somewhere else and sell my house. I'm staying put at least for the time being. Working more at this time on creating a small network of prepared people in the area.

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
I totally understand the family ties. I'd probably bring my parents with us because I take care of them more then my siblings do.

DH brought up the issue of selling the house. We couldn't do anything immediately. We want to pay off our truck first. We had planned on adding on in a year or two but we may just move instead.

There are alot of factors to consider. DH works and I stay at home and teach our kids. He's an electrician so his field is used everywhere. But whether there is work everywhere is a different story. He does have many other marketable skills, so that does help.

We talked a bit about getting the land we want and just living in a mobile home/cabin till we can build a house. We lived in a travel trailer for 6 months with three kids - we look back on that experience fondly and really enjoyed it.

We do love our neighbors here - even if they are a little too close! We like our church and DH and DD are in the local fire department. Dh and DS are also active in scouts. We have a whole lot of research and talking to do before we actually put the house up for sale.

StvAwake67

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »
 My biggest caveat with moving in addition to ties here, is that I think we are nearly out of time as far as the national economy goes and it teetering on collapse. Not sure if you are familiar with the Meet Up groups but a group recently started in Philly that meets once a month to discuss "survival" topics. I haven't been yet but I know a few of the people in the group and they are solid folks. If your interested I can post the info.

christopherm

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 05:42:31 PM »
Bergen County represented here too. Just started prepping 6 mos ago. Starting to get all my buddies at work invoved too.

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 07:01:12 PM »
Bergen County represented here too. Just started prepping 6 mos ago. Starting to get all my buddies at work invoved too.

Hello! That's great that you have friends that can support/join you. We are sort of on our own when it comes to that mind set. The people out here are country people and pretty self-reliant anyway.
Are you in the city?

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 12:06:49 PM »

I just got DF (is there such a term as Dear Fiancé?) onboard with relocating to NY but not into preparedness yet. At least he humors my 'doomsdaying' as he calls it.
He's will be working in Bergen County regardless and his family is still in the county as well.

Risko

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 04:43:55 PM »
Hi guys!  I'm new to the boards, too ... but I'm from the fine 'garden' state.  Ironic name, when you think about it.  I'm in South Jersey, about 20 minutes out side of Philadelphia.  Sounds like I'm near StvAwake67. 

Glad to see other Jersey'ians around, even if some are planning to get out.  Not a bad idea, if you ask me.

Look forward to sharing and learning.

Offline Multimode

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:00:10 PM »
Rural North Jersey  present and accounted for.

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 07:30:34 AM »
Rural North Jersey

Sussex County?

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Sussex County?
If that's the case I actually have a TSP member close enough to meet! Woohoo!

Offline Multimode

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 05:29:34 PM »
Sussex county, on the west border of Wawayanda SP

Heh I was just saying yesterday if SHTF I wouldn't as worried about riots my local community because a lot more people in this county seem to have their S**T together.  Awesome.

Offline ebonearth

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »
Sussex county, on the west border of Wawayanda SP
I'm just north or Warwick, but you probably knew that considering my forum handle. :)

Offline Multimode

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »
Well then I'm sure we've brushed shoulders a few times at the Warwick farmers market and probably pass your general area coming home from work.

AnimalHousePA

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 07:12:08 PM »
This is my first post here  :) I grew up right near Woodstown but moved to PA a few years ago.  I really miss living there...I was out in the middle of nowhere and it was awesome.  I like PA though and I like the fact that I'm legally allowed to defend myself with a firearm (I have my CCW) but I still miss South Jersey.  Anyone go to Cowtown?

Risko

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 07:45:47 PM »
Cowtown -- exit 4 on 295.  I pass it all the time, but haven't stopped.  I plan to make take a drive down there this summer.  What's the best part, so I don't miss it?

~Risko

AnimalHousePA

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 08:26:48 PM »
Well...in the summer months they have a weekly rodeo there...every Saturday from May til Sept...The farmer's market part is open Tuesday and Saturday.  You can find your typical flea market tables there.  Some are indoor and and some are outdoor.  Oh yeah and across the street is the Cowtown Outfitters shop where you can buy cowboy boots and all the accessories that you need if that's your thing.   :)

Risko

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
Very cool.  Thanks!

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »
Just joined...Cherry Hill here.  Haven't really done much as far as getting prepared, but probably should considering our geographic location!  My feelings on Jersey...hour from the shore, hour from the Poconos, 15 min to Philly, hour and 30 min to NY...can't be in a more convenient location...other than that, I can't stand the taxes and fees and rules and regulations, etc, etc.  If it weren't for so much family near by, I'd be gone.

morrowsmowers

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 08:16:17 AM »
We moved to Gloucester County from Philly about 9 years ago.  Yes, NJ is a very anal state as far as laws and regulations, but we got a whole lot more house and land than we could have afforded in PA and still be in reasonable commuting distance to my job in Philly.

We would love to be able to live more rural and I would love to work from home at our own business, but at this time and with the economy as screwed up as it is, things will probably have to change slowly for us.

Maybe we need a South Jersey get together sometime!

Ken

Offline jackiebeans

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »
Hey everyone... Just joined the forum and started listening to all the podcasts... Started my personal preparations in the past several months.  Anyone in Bergen County NJ that might want to have a meetup.  We're all pretty like minded it seems so I am not going to think anyone is Cuckoo...

Thoughts???

I am in the East Rutherford area and moved down here several years ago from PA.  I have been looking for a group of people to meet with periodically, compare notes, and learn from one another.

Offline Mirage

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »
I also live in NJ (Camden County but in the burbs) and want to get out of here as quickly as possible.  The state has decent schools but man I don't want to be stuck in this crappy state any longer than necessary.  Probably moving west or south as soon as I can get a job somewhere.

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 10:07:27 PM »
I live in PA, but work in Bergen County.

StvAwake67

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 07:23:36 AM »
Anyone interested that lives in the greater Philly region, check out this meet-up group. It is a great group of people, and each month we discuss different topics based on survival and preparedness     http://www.meetup.com/SURVIVE-AND-THRIVE-Philadelphia-region/   hope to see some of you join and attend.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
anyone know where to get bulk grain around here?

Offline Tosser

• Prepper
  • Punish the deserving...
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 10:32:08 PM »
Hello everyone. 

Im also in southern NJ, Gloucester County.  Do any of you southern NJ guys meet up?