Author Topic: "Homemade Survival Bible"  (Read 14411 times)

John Q Public

"Homemade Survival Bible"
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:20:40 PM »
I have done so much research on the topic of survival that I have probably forgotten more than I remembered. Between TSP, Survival Forum, ZS, and a few others I have gathered a huge amount of great information. I was thinking of boiling it all down into one cohesive/personalized "Bible" containing all of the valuable tips and nuggets that I have gathered from you great folks (Millerized aside  ;D ) that could be used within my home and shared with like minded individuals where possible.

Granted, there would be some things that I would like to include that would be sensitive in nature (ie BO Routes, Maps, Checklists, Inventories, SOPs, or Code Words) that could not be shared.

My thinking is that it is something that could be used not by me per se, but by the little lady if she wanted to read up on certain topics, or as a primer for someone who really needs to get their head out of their posterior and get moving but is overwhelmed by all of the info floating out on the interweb.

My questions are three:

1) Does this sound like something that would be useful?
2) Would anyone be interested in helping?
3) Has anyone done this already? (If you have but have not shared it with the group --- be prepared for a beating via text)  ;D

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:25:14 PM by John Q Public »

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
Re: "Homemade Survival Bible"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:53:44 PM »
Something like my survival summary might be a good outline and expanded on with greater explanations.

gigaJack

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:43:27 AM »
It's a great idea and I would even pay for the benefit of something like that.  gigaJack does have an incredible list that I am still referencing every now and again.  I would also be happy to contribute in any way possible.   

John Q Public

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 07:12:33 AM »
Giga - Your summary is what made me think to do this in the first place. I have it printed out and it sits on top of about 2,000 other sheets of printed material. Good stuff!

Jwatt- sounds like you just volunteered/got recruited.  ;D

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:05:07 AM »
John Q.,

+1

Sounds like your bible is more of an atlas of sorts.

Kudos for your ideas and inspiring efforts.

swanson

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »
I'd be happy to throw in miscellaneous tips that I've learned.  I couldn't review a large document but I could just email them to you on occasion when I think of them.  Or I could post the tips on this thread so others could see them before they go in the Q bible.

John Q Public

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:23:50 AM »
Heavy G -

What is we just started a thread that we could cut and paste into one cohesive document? We could come up with a basic outline for fellow TSPers to look over and then post their thoughts to the thread. As ideas came in they could be incorporated into the document.  No replies or conversation ---- just information. Kind of like the Repository but for everything.

Offline CT9A

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »
I think this is a great idea.  I've tried (am trying) to do something like this.  I've been printing, organizing and storing everything in 3 ring binders.  Problem is paper and ink run start adding up when you're printing everything that you think could be useful.

I originally started this with the thought that I may not always be around and the wife and/or kids could have something to reference, plus as John Q stated, I forget stuff.  I also figured it'd be good just in case the internet was ever un-accessible.

I'd be more than happy to help with this where I can.

John Q Public

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
CT,

I have been doing the same thing....Printing and storing in a 3 ring binder. However, as you mentioned, it is cost prohibitive, somewhat redundant, not a cohesive "plan" so to speak.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 01:44:42 PM »
maybe 'publish' a book with a service similar to this: http://www.lulu.com/?

John Q Public

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 01:56:05 PM »
Publishing a book could be an idea. The problem is that what I am thinking of is a distilled version of all of the expertise and insight that I have gleaned from books, articles, and forum postings. The vast majority of the information would be the intellectual property of other people and I don't want to get into the ethical or legal issues that publishing could bring about. Additionally, much of the document would be personalized for each user.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 06:36:41 PM »

The vast majority of the information would be the intellectual property of other people and I don't want to get into the ethical or legal issues that publishing could bring about.

Agreed.  I think that anyone who posts information on this thread waives any claim to copyright.

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 07:50:46 PM »
Copyright and intellectual property is a problem that can be resolved in the future. 

A printed or published book seems like the right way to go.  This information doesn't do anyone good if its trapped on a hard drive and printing out hundreds of pages is not realistic.  Also, if this thing gets underway you will soon discover that this will be a multi-volume endeavor.  Just think about how much essential information needs there is when talking about agriculture. 

John Q since its your idea you are in charge.  However, I suggest that we pick one subject, and whoever volunteers can dig up information on that subject on TSPF and other forums.  Then we can edit it down to essentials and then store it as a file. 

Let me know how I can help. 

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »
I would like to see a book that puts the information in a very concise format.  Too many books I've looked at lately, on the subject of survival, spend more time blabbering about information that really doesn't add anything to the discussion.  Something in an almost "bullet-point" format would best meet my needs.  Not only would you get more practical information in a smaller space (lower production costs), you might end up with something that could be printed in a "handbook" format for inclusion in BOBs.

Can't wait to see what comes out of this!

+1

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 08:59:42 PM »
Heavy G -

What is we just started a thread that we could cut and paste into one cohesive document? We could come up with a basic outline for fellow TSPers to look over and then post their thoughts to the thread. As ideas came in they could be incorporated into the document.  No replies or conversation ---- just information. Kind of like the Repository but for everything.
It is a fine idea JQ & not to be a killjoy but having a resource of this type available was the inspiration for The Repository.

I'd also point out that in the repository we've specifically asked for ideas & submissions, because it is a work in progress.  I think I've received exactly 1 reply with something for the repository, which I included BTW.

# Read only.  If a member has a suggestion, contact one of the moderators or administrators.

I would only add that The Survival Podcast Forum is a community.  As such, we'd really like to hear from all of you that may have tested some of these things we're posting.  Please do that in the The Gear and Tool Review Forum.  Your feedback will help others to make educated & informed decisions.  One on one feedback is always helpful & real world knowledge is the best kind to have, IMO.

If you have ideas, links, how-to's or whatever, that you feel would be a good addition to The Repository  please contact one of the Mods. or Admins. with your idea.  We want to hear from you & as always, thanks for contributing.

As you know, the problem with compiling information is that you quickly become overwhelmed with info & you begin to wonder just what exactly to include.  Having info from someone else is nice, but if you've not tested it yourself or seen it tested first hand, then you can't say definitively that the info you're betting your life on is any good.   We've kept it a read only board because of the sheer amount of information out there, because we'd like to keep it as concise as possible.

I don't mean to discourage your idea but we've already set aside an area for just this thing.  It belongs to all of you, we'd like to see everyone contribute to it.  For the most part it's just been a couple of us so far.

John Q Public

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
DEV,

I certainly did not mean to step on any toes with this. So, please accept my apology if I have done so.

My thought was to create something to be used for myself and family and to be shared with those around us whom we thought would benefit. Ultimately, "MY FINAL VERSION" would be contain tons of great information that was combined with very specific and personal intelligence that could not be shared.

By posting this and asking for assistance I was trying not to reinvent the wheel and at the same time lighten the load for the less personal pieces of it. As an added benefit, my fellow TSPers could benefit.

In an effort to do just that, I propose that we use the tools that the Mods have given us and post all of these items directly to the repository where they may be printed, or cut and pasted to our hearts content.

That being said....Get to work!  ;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »
DEV,

I certainly did not mean to step on any toes with this. So, please accept my apology if I have done so.

My thought was to create something to be used for myself and family and to be shared with those around us whom we thought would benefit. Ultimately, "MY FINAL VERSION" would be contain tons of great information that was combined with very specific and personal intelligence that could not be shared.

By posting this and asking for assistance I was trying not to reinvent the wheel and at the same time lighten the load for the less personal pieces of it. As an added benefit, my fellow TSPers could benefit.

In an effort to do just that, I propose that we use the tools that the Mods have given us and post all of these items directly to the repository where they may be printed, or cut and pasted to our hearts content.

That being said....Get to work!  ;D
No apology needed pal.  I didn't take it that way, only that I wanted to point out that we're trying to do that very thing you all were talking about. 

The repository was meant to be a concise, compendium of preparedness information & resources.  A basic framework, if you will, from which everyone could become familiar with some of the most basic principles & tried/true methods to do some of the things we've all talked about/posted about.  From that framework everyone could build/personalize/use or discard what was useful for them.  As a community it would be nice to have contributions from everybody, I don't think any of the Mods/Admins ever planned on the info contained there to be solely dependent on us.  We really do want everyone to contribute.  That's what I was trying to get across, sorry if I sounded annoyed.  I really wasn't. ;)

Just a reminder though, it is a read only forum.  We asked for submissions so we could keep it in an easily readable, easily updated format.  We'd like to keep related topics in the same thread sequence.  When anyone wants to contribute they need to send their idea/article/links/whatever to a mod or admin & we'll edit it/add to it & put it in the correct area.

John Q Public

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »
Excellent....This is exactly what we have been talking about in this thread. The best part is that it already exists thanks to your (and the other mod's) foresight.

Michael Masse

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 01:12:34 PM »
LDS church has a great maual they have put together which you could glean a bunch of info from if you haven't already.

http://www.green-trust.org/freebooks/Preparedness.pdf

Offline RonH2K

• Survivor
  • A little closer each day...
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 07:12:27 PM »
A big +1, Michael J!  Thanks!

;D

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 07:50:18 PM »
LDS church has a great maual they have put together which you could glean a bunch of info from if you haven't already.

http://www.green-trust.org/freebooks/Preparedness.pdf
The LDS Preparedness Guide Thread

The thread is in Links, Resources & Blogs.  It also in The Repository in the Bulk/Long Term Food Storage Primer now.

Search is your friend. ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:57:23 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

PeaceChicken

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »
JohnQ def. has the right idea, I'm new to this forum so it's hard to digest all the content at once, I feel overwhelmed with info and also like there's a lot of reinventing the wheel here. It'd be helpful and reassuring if we could compile one big file that we could be confidant in. Rather than feeling like we had to download a hundred different documents and hope they covered everything.

I was thinking a good addition to the repository/knowledge base would perhaps be some sort of file-sharing option like DropBox. This way the files are easy to access and sync up. I did a search for this but nothing came up, so I'm not sure it's been mentioned yet. My apologies if it has. Or is there already some file section where things are uploaded?

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 10:51:01 AM »
If you have the ability to do it, you can always load all your information into a single file, and then burn them onto a CD or two.
Even though the cost of the ink is rather high, they do make refill kits, and a couple of folks that I have talked to all tell me that there is no reason why you cannot refill any and all brands of printer cartridges available now days.
Just a thought, because I am puting a three ring binder set of survival and preparedness information for emergency back-up reference when needed, and as soon as I can get the burner, all my survival and preparedness files will be put on CD's
By the way, some folks have suggested that all the printed material be put into a set of plastic protection sleaves, or laminated to keep them protected. You can do this if you feel the need, but it really doesn't matter all that much, and the cost to do all the sheets you may have in the binder would be rather high.

As I said, you can do this if you want. It is all up to you.  ;D

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 06:50:09 PM »
I think these guys have a much better deal than Lulu. You can just publish the books on the cheap and not have someone else reaping the reward for your work. I was going to do some publishing (I am an English major after all...I do write things :P ) and I was really happy with the price. Check them out.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »
I setup a 2.5" D-ring binder as a one stop resource for all our family plans and planning. Kinda like a SORM or Standard Operating Procedure Manual for our family. The Binder is an off color not used for anything else so every one knows this binder on sight and that it is the first stop when determining what to do in an event if they forget.

I've named it our CRASH Manual. Crises Response And Self Reliant Homestead Manual.

When you open it the first thing you see on the inside Left hand cover is a big stop sign shape with the words DON'T PANIC! inside (thank you Douglas Adams). The very next thing you see on the right (first page) is an Event Matrix. The purpose of this is to jump-start the thinking process so everyone starts doing what they are supposed to do in case an event occurs. The Event Matrix allows the rapid evaluation of an event for a leave or stay decision. After that begins the three parts of the manual proper.
Part 1) Procedures- What do when an event occurs.
Part 2) Resources- the things we have to enable the procedures of Part 1 to be accomplished.
Part 3) Supporting Data- All the documentation, maps, calling schedules, personal info, etcetera.

This is an operations manual so it only includes the distilled essence of all the prior work that was done to enable our choices. I will shortly be switching to a 3 inch binder when I can find 5 in the same or similar off color as this one because they are very tightly packed and there is little room left for expansion. This manual is one of the items we include on our 60 second bugout list because its become the resource we use to manage our family's affairs. We maintain 5 copies so the data is always available wherever we are. I have also scanned all the pages and keep them on a flash device for computer/PDA retrieval. We store the extra copies in secure locations as some of the data is sensitive. I have not given the details of the subsections within each part as my sections are useless to you. You must go through the effort of developing your system yourself or you'll never implement it. Here are some hints. To develop your own guide/manual you need two things. A formalized list of your family's goals and a threat analysis. These two things will allow you to develop your Event Matrix and determine what you'll need to accomplish your goals. All events are Binary. You will either Stay and face the event or you will leave to avoid the event (shelter in place or evacuate). Example: EVENT- HOUSE FIRE, DECISION - EVACUATE NOW, ACTION- Perform 60 Second Bugout -Procedure ONE. By thinking through your threats you can develop your plans to allow a proper response to the event. In the above example EVERYONE in my family is taught Procedure ONE the 60 second bugout. They know their only proper response to a Procedure ONE is to immediately, regardless of circumstance to evacuate the small children and themselves outside the house grabbing the family bugout bag only if safe to do so while on their way outside to the designated assembly area. For us, our family's CRASH manual is both an information resource and training manual.

Regards,
Shadohawk

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 04:23:23 PM »
Something like my survival summary might be a good outline and expanded on with greater explanations.

gigaJack

Excellent. That's the sort of stuff I put in part two of our manual. Your identifying resources, setting goals. Now that's living the life ;) You also already have a head start on developing your procedures. Great summary.
Regards,
Shadowalker

John Q Public

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 08:28:50 PM »
Shadow,

You very succinctly said exactly what I want to do. Your last post is the essence of what our Survival Bible is all about. +1

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2009, 07:16:29 AM »
Thank you John Q. By the way can anyone post good karma points? there are some posts I would like to add good karma too but I'm new here and don't want to be presumptuous.
Regards,
Shadowalker

John Q Public

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 07:39:46 AM »
Yes, anyone can post good Karma or bad Karma points. Jack and the forum mods have been very smart about it and let the populace govern themselves.

One note though...there is a member here with the handle of "Millerized." He is the self proclaimed "King of All Negative Karma." If you want to give him a +1, then you should use a -1. Being that he is a great resource, he has collected a ton of negative Karma. Other than him, +/- Karma is a good indication of how well the group has received a particular member's postings.

In other words, Millerized aside, everyone else operates within the normal rules of the space/time continuum.  ;D