Author Topic: Vibram Five Fingers Shoes  (Read 61853 times)

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member
Re: Vibram Five Fingers Shoes
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
Read the book 'Barefoot Running' by Ken Bob Saxton and work on your running form.

Just finished this book.  Lots of good information.  It's unnecessarily long for the topic, but it delivers the goods. 

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »
I got the Vibram Speed a few weeks ago. Much more support compared to my KSOs and I recommend them for sure.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:23 PM »
I will be doing the Run to Home Base (9K) at Fenway in my KSO's on sunday May 20th!

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:24 AM »
I've got a pair of Bikalas that have become my dojo shoes, since the kung-fu shoes at the dojo are simply far too narrow to fit my neanderthal toes.  I love these shoes.  They're the most comfortable I've ever found!  Even if the toes are still a bit too short when I have my toe socks on.

I've also more recently picked up a newer pair of the TrekSports.

I'm considering ordering the Treks with the Kangaroo leather uppers, so that I can wear my five fingers when it's raining, or has been raining.

I've had lots of comments on them.  It seems to be a mix of three kinds of comments.  Curiosity about them and what they are, enthusiasm over how cool they are (from kids and athletes), and people that think they are just wierd.

Personally, I think it's weird that people didn't have foot-gloves sooner.  I mean no one questions you for wearing gloves instead of mittens.

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2012, 06:10:03 AM »
I got the KSO in kangaroo leather and love them. They blend in and almost look like normal shoes. I do get some funny questions and looks but not as many as my friends with the other stlyes, I think the leather one's are a little less noticable. My favorite response to the, "Look at his feet!" is "Your feet don't look like this?"  :o

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2012, 07:20:39 AM »
ok, I am thinking about some of these for hubby.  we are a barefoot family, in general.  since we work/school at home, we don't wear shoes unless we are going out and about.  Hubby has had some back problems lately, and he is going to be modifying his desk (he is a programmer) so he can stand for part of the day.  I would like to give him some of these types of shoes for when we do have to go out.  he is not a runner or a weight lifter.  just a guy with back problems.
so any suggestions on the type of VFF?  or maybe an alternative?

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #96 on: May 17, 2012, 08:10:43 AM »
The Bikalas are good thin-soled shoes that I've personally found give me some arch support  I find a bit more support in the TrekSport, but they are a trail shoe and as a result have miniature studs in the bottom.  As a result you'll feel a bit more scraping when walking on pavement.

These are the only two models I have owned, so I can't speak to the support in others.

I do know that the rubber on the forward pad of the KSOs is too thick for my taste, as it makes bending the foot more problematic.

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #97 on: May 17, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »
ok, I am thinking about some of these for hubby.  we are a barefoot family, in general.  since we work/school at home, we don't wear shoes unless we are going out and about.  Hubby has had some back problems lately, and he is going to be modifying his desk (he is a programmer) so he can stand for part of the day.  I would like to give him some of these types of shoes for when we do have to go out.  he is not a runner or a weight lifter.  just a guy with back problems.

I would read this page for a lot of the benefits of being barefoot. I suggest the regular Vibrams if he's not going to be working out in them. Or the KSOs as they look the most plain. 

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

Take a look at the Merrill tough gloves.  http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Tough-Glove-Barefoot-Running/dp/B004MAE1F4  This is what I'm wearing at the office these days.  No one has given them a second look or questioned me about them.  I've tucked the top 2 laceholder things inside by the tongue to make them look even less athletic.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »
I will be doing the Run to Home Base (9K) at Fenway in my KSO's on sunday May 20th!

Actually got a blister from one of the seams which made me decide to take them off and finish the run barefoot. It was awesome! Thankfully the streets had been swept so there was no debris,not even pebbles on the streets of Boston.

Offline jlesniak

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
I recently got a pair of Injinji socks. They were given to me by a friend who represents both Vibram and Injini... the socks are designed to work with the shoes. Very thin, they may help some of you that have been experiencing blisters.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »
I recently got a pair of Injinji socks. They were given to me by a friend who represents both Vibram and Injini... the socks are designed to work with the shoes. Very thin, they may help some of you that have been experiencing blisters.

I own several pair but prefer to go without in the summer. And my 'summer shoes' are sized for me barefoot. I usually run in one of my other pair and completely forgot and put the 'new' pair on which I had not run in so I hadn't found the seam that was too long. It's all set now.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »
x.x I took my vibrams out on the trails over this weekend, and got a split in one near the big toe.  x.x They're TrekSports (the black ones).

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2012, 06:27:44 AM »
x.x I took my vibrams out on the trails over this weekend, and got a split in one near the big toe.  x.x They're TrekSports (the black ones).

I would contact the company and see if they will replace them.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2012, 10:07:38 PM »
Great idea Fannie.  I'll look into that.

Offline BDinVA

• Prepper
  • New Homesteader
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »
I think these are great shoes in concept and work exceptionally well for running or other training on smooth surfaces.

I do a lot of hiking and trail running, and one thing I've found is that rocks and sticks get stuck in between my toes which is annoying.  Just something to consider if you think you might ever find yourself "off-road."

In response, I also bought a pair of minimalist shoes by Merrell called the Trail Glove, which also use Vibram soles, however they have a traditional toe design which IMO provide better protection on "off road" surfaces, but feel almost exactly the same as the Vibram fivefingers soles do.

Just my .02!

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
I've only done some small runs in my KSO's.  But I do also like the minimalist New Balance 520's.  I've recently completed the Tough Mudder up at Mt. Snow, VT in those.  More padding then the VFF's for those searching for something with a little more support and beef then the VFF's but like the minimal concept.

Congrats Fannie!!!  You live in MA?

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2012, 12:23:07 PM »
I've only done some small runs in my KSO's.  But I do also like the minimalist New Balance 520's.  I've recently completed the Tough Mudder up at Mt. Snow, VT in those.  More padding then the VFF's for those searching for something with a little more support and beef then the VFF's but like the minimal concept.

Congrats Fannie!!!  You live in MA?

Yes. I am a prisoner until we are able to sell our house and move to NH.

Offline Millboy

• Prepper
  • Best Bulldogge ever.
    • wickedmuddy.com
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
Yes. I am a prisoner until we are able to sell our house and move to NH.

ME TOO!!!!  AHAHAHHAHA!!!!

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
I have been curious about the five fingers for a few years now since I was with a buddy when he ought his. I am a heavy guy so has broken bones in both feet and have real trouble with barfoot walking much less running. So I was worried that The FF's might not be enough shoe for me.
  Plus the price was a bit much. Then FILA came out with SKELETOES and at the price of less than half what five fingers run, it was too good to pass up. They are super good, I wear them as much as I can. They are a little more substantial than the FFs and I have even used them for practicing martial arts in with very little to no foot pain. The Skeletoes have four to pockets so your fourth and fifth toes use the same pocket. Most people who notice that I am wearing them, don't notice that, but some people will be look at me like I'm a weirdo and ask why I only have four toes. Its pretty funny. I'm torn between using the graduation from ninja school answer or trying to convince them I am from another planet.
  The skeletoes may be a more affordable or physically better alternative for some people. They can be had for between 25 and 50$ so the price is right. They provide enough cushioning for me but give me more ground and total foot engagement than traditional shoes. They are great for summer too as they are made with a mesh and something like neoprene upper that is brreathavle, cool, and fast to dry. Just though I would throw this out there. I realize that people who like FFs tend to get their nose in the air about skeletoes and the vibram is suing Fila for some stupid infringement case, vibram didn't invent toe pockets, how bout you compete on the merits of your product instead of going to court? But I digress, there were some people who couldn't find FFs in their size and I think skeletoes come in a wider range of sizes. I really like them and they have lasted well so far, I've had one pair for a year and a second one for half that long. I usually kill a pair of shoes in about three to four month due to my weight and occupation and lack of car. They have held up pretty well to daily and weekly wear. 

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2013, 02:36:46 PM »
Sorry for bringing up an slightly old thread but...

It would be really cool if someone created a graphic badge for our signature line for us bare-footers!  I think that would be pretty neat, but I don't have the artistic ability. Maybe to look like a olive drab patch of a bare footprint? Anyone?

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »
Sorry for bringing up an slightly old thread but...

It would be really cool if someone created a graphic badge for our signature line for us bare-footers!  I think that would be pretty neat, but I don't have the artistic ability. Maybe to look like a olive drab patch of a bare footprint? Anyone?

That's a cool idea, and don't ever worry about resurrecting old threads, it's always great to see them again after a long hiatus!

Doc

Offline BillP38

• Prepper
  • Gardening is cheaper than Therapy & you get Tomato
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2013, 01:53:17 PM »
  I've worn the Vibram 5 finger shoes and have an older pair in my BOB as a back up for water crossings. For trail running I wear the Merrell barefoot shoe since they're a little more forgiving on the instep.

I would like a badge for the barefoot crowd on here as well  :)

Offline Mustanger65

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
    I've been duped into the 'heel strike' method of running since my airborne army days. For the last decade or more my back, knees, and now feet are in constant pain.
   I've taken up endurance horse riding to regain my freedom. I switched from steel shoes to bare foot boots for the horse. I was encouraging better foot, knee, and shoulder fitness.
 So I connect the dots. A little late.

My question is "How do I relearn how to walk"? At this point I can't run further than 1/4 mile before the pain sets in. My heart rate won't go up. I was going to present this to Gary Collins. But there are more 'experts' here.
Thanks, curt.

inbox485

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
I've been wearing barefoot style shoes for a couple years now, and I simply won't buy thick soled shoes again. I won't touch those five finger monstrosities ;), but Merrell, and a few others make more normal looking minimalist shoes. I have a few pairs of Merrells and a pair of Tactical Research Minimalist boots, all of which I recommend for people getting out of the thick sole nonsense. I will probably look into the shoes with wider fronts as I replace the ones I have.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2014, 02:03:43 PM »
    I've been duped into the 'heel strike' method of running since my airborne army days. For the last decade or more my back, knees, and now feet are in constant pain.
   I've taken up endurance horse riding to regain my freedom. I switched from steel shoes to bare foot boots for the horse. I was encouraging better foot, knee, and shoulder fitness.
 So I connect the dots. A little late.

My question is "How do I relearn how to walk"? At this point I can't run further than 1/4 mile before the pain sets in. My heart rate won't go up. I was going to present this to Gary Collins. But there are more 'experts' here.
Thanks, curt.

Curt,

You learn by doing. You run. Watch a video on barefoot running. They will have tips and "drills." You will likely start out by 'running on your toes' but you will learn to allow the rest of your foot to strike too. It's something you will have to think about until you get it down. I read a book and watched the videos and then I just did it and every time I was hitting heel first it hurt and I would adjust. I also walk in these all the time unless there is too much snow/slush.