Author Topic: Garden planning spreadsheet  (Read 22556 times)

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Garden planning spreadsheet
« on: December 19, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »
I put together a spreadsheet to plan out my dates for seeding and planting next years crop.  The podcast today reminded me about it and I figured it may help somebody out.  The only problem I have is that I can't figure out how to attach the spreadsheet (might have to do with a few drinks, it's Friday).

Anyway, the spreadsheet is great because you just enter your last frost date and how many weeks before/after frost you want the plants in the ground.  Excel does a great job running the calendar math for you.

Jack was exactly right, even for Seattle (northernmost major city in the US), I need to start seeding in February.

If someone can explain how to attach an Excel file, I would be more than happy to post it for anyone that wants to use it.  It isn't rocket science, but not everybody is familiar with simple formulas in spreadsheet programs.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
Re: Garden planning spreadsheet
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »
get a host site to park the document then add the link here

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 08:25:32 PM »
Stein

Send it to me by email and I will be happy to put in on my server for you

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:44:22 AM »
Jack was kind enough to upload the file to his server and it is available here:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/docs/

I will explain how to use the sheet, but it is pretty straight forward. 

To make it easy, I highlighted the cells that one may need to change in yellow.  The big change would be the last frost date.  In the upper right, you will see the two dates, I averaged these in cell K3 to get my date.  The first is the 50% date and the second is the 90% date.  One could either put in their two dates, or just enter a single date in K3.  Everything in the rest of the sheet is based upon this date.  Don't go crazy with getting the dates perfect, I found at least a half dozen resources that all claimed different frost dates for my same city.

Then, go to column B, that is how many weeks before or after frost one wants to plant the seeds in the dirt.  (-) are before frost and the others are after frost.  Excel uses the frost date and column B to calculate column C which is when the seedlings will be planted in the dirt.

Column D is how long it will take to go from seed to seedling, yet more info from the web and garden books.  Excel takes this and calculates E which is when the seeds have to go in the starter, either a garage or greenhouse.

The second group of veggies, starting with peas, are the seeds that go directly in the garden on the dates in column E.  Excel uses the frost date and the info in column B.

I sorted the list in order of timing.  Those at the top need to be started earliest.  Feb 12 is my starting date, just around the corner as you mentioned.  One of the good things is that you don't have to do everything on one day or weekend, the workload is spread out a bit over the course of several months.

Finally, column F shows the varieties that I want to stagger the planting to get a continual harvest.  They all happen to be on 2 week intervals.  This depends on how many harvest one wants and how long the growing season is.  So, I will plant some of my corn on May 7, some more 2 weeks later, some more 2 weeks after that, etc.  This gives me a wider harvest period and the ability to eat fresh corn for a month or two instead of having to preserve most of it.

Like I mentioned, it isn't rocket science, but it gives me timetables to start the seeds and then dates for planting.

I am no master gardener, but I believe that the frost dates are the big variable.  I believe the planting dates are all timed to frost dates with the same number of weeks for all climates.  My -6 weeks is the same as yours, only my frost date is different.  I could be wrong on this though.

Hope this helps.

Offline smittymojoe

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing this spreadsheet Stein, I downloaded it and going to give it a try.

smitty

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »
I've been looking for something like this, I'm using it for my plan, thanks!

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 02:11:41 PM »
Stein,

Thanks, I look forward to using this in the spring.

Kara

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 06:53:56 PM »
Fabulous, Stein...thanks!

Sup3D

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »
I am a beginning gardener and this is awesome.

Thanks for all you time and effort.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:47:01 PM »
I uploaded the spread sheet I use for my garden layout to google docs.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p19dmjhRt0lAzXlq_QLxoeQ

This next year I will be adding a page for the planting dates spread sheet.

gigaJack

Offline Brian Gallimore

• Prepper
  • Brian Gallimore
    • Brian's Website
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 10:40:07 PM »
I copied Stein's spreadsheet for my plan too.  It is at
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=peBNtoJDHvpni74rJkZ5Ecw
if you want to view it.

I've been trying to collect information as I come across it, so I kept adding tabs, it is a bit of a mess, but I want everything documented.  I'll keep revising it as I go on.  I've got most of my seeds ordered... plan on spending some more time this weekend getting my beds ready.

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
According to Stein's spreadsheet, it is time for me to start my broccoli seeds. I can almost taste spring.

Offline cajunkraut

• Senior Survivalist
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 05:45:50 AM »
if you want to view it.

I've been trying to collect information as I come across it, so I kept adding tabs, it is a bit of a mess, but I want everything documented.  I'll keep revising it as I go on.  I've got most of my seeds ordered... plan on spending some more time this weekend getting my beds ready.

To be honest, your spreadsheet made my jaw drop! I'm just getting into this with one raised bed, but it looks like there's a lot of research I need to do about my plants so I can treat them right.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 08:57:18 AM »
I didn't think to look on the forums for a spreadsheet.  I Googled for one and TSP was on the bottom of page 1.  Thanks to all for sharing your spreadsheets.  Hopefully I can get myself rolling to get things organized for my garden.

I will be doing much more gardening once we can move.  I know it is sounding like an excuse, but it is so difficult to get motivated when we are really hoping to be able to move before we put in a garden.

Offline dwhoppy

• Survivor
  • "Be Prepared!"
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
if you want to view it.

Great Stuff everyone! I too was searching the internet to find a good calaendar. No luck. I though about making my own, but tried our forums. It shows just waht a wealth of information is here.
I am having trouble changing the dates to my location. When I change the date to my last frost date, the formulas donot update the other dates. Can you help a tech non-savy person.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »
I like the idea of a spreadsheet I can control.

However, take a look here:  http://bioarray.us/Skippy%27s%20planting%20calendar.html

There's also one for fall.

J

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
On second thought, I'm gonna use the spreadsheet.  I like the timeline format.  May have to adapt it into a gantt chart for project.

J

Offline Pathman

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:46 AM »
The link to the original spreadsheet doesn't appear to work.

Offline SECTER1

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 01:44:21 AM »
I like the idea of a spreadsheet I can control.

However, take a look here:  http://bioarray.us/Skippy%27s%20planting%20calendar.html

There's also one for fall.

J

Thank you..This is a little more my style..easy.