Author Topic: Where is a good place to buy ammo?  (Read 11111 times)

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
Where is a good place to buy ammo?
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
I just realized I only have like 40 rounds of ammo for my AR-15 and even less for my other guns. I need to have a bit more. I know ammo is ridiculously expensive these days but where is a good place on the internet that has the best deals for .5.56 (.223) , 7.62x39MM and 12 gauge ammunition?

Side Question: Im curious how much ammunition people consider to be "enough"?

Rock2Fox

Re: Where is a good place to buy ammo?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:34:54 PM »
My numbers are arbitrary - but I have 1,000 for each caliber and a couple thousand extra .22LR b/c they are so cheap.  Sportsman's Guide has a website that has some cheap ammo - but I have noticed (within the last two days) that more than one website is out of stock on .223/ 5.56.  Wal-Mart has 50 round boxes of .223 for $23.99 (as of last night).

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
I know that because of the Obama Scare alot of ammo has become harder to obtain or is backordered online. Most of these sites will have this listed on their home page if this is the case. Ammo usually is about the same no matter where you go. I know that Cheaper than Dirt has good prices on ammo sometimes. However, I found 9mm ammo at Wal-Mart for around 8 dollars for 50 rounds. I think the brand was Blaster or something like that. I would have to go and look.

Also...enough ammo? Well I think it largely depends on who you are and what you think your likely survival scenario will entail. For instance, I currently have around 400 rounds of 9mm with about 20 home defense rounds. Yet, I have heard this amount of ammo referred to as a 'cache' or 'stockpiling' ammo. I think I do not have enough. However, this is purely from a hunting perspective. I do not think I will have to fight of roving hoards of people. I think I will need bullets to catch some meat for food.

Of course I have other ammo for my shotgun and such...

It also depends on if you are bugging out or bugging in. Carrying all that lead is going to get heavy.

Its pretty much a situational thing.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »
I have had good luck getting my 7.62x54R from Aim Surplus. They were carrying 5.56 but were out.
I just got some 7.62x39 from Sportsmans Guide, and with the coupon they offered for over such a price, it knocked off most of the shipping. Worth looking into.

I have about 1000 rounds of 7.62x54R, 600+rounds of 7.62x39, 300 or so 8mm, and lots of components to keep me reloading for a long time.
If I find a good price, and have the money, I order some.
I dont have an AR, and probably wont end up with one, so I will make do with what ammo I have.

Rip

donstoy

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 02:31:53 AM »
try wideners.com................don

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
I purchased my last batch of Prvi 556 from ammoman.com.  They were, maybe still are, shipping quicker than just about everyone else.

As far as ammo, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 rounds spread between 223, .30-06, 9mm, 12 gauge and 22lr.  I don't think it is enough, but I purchase for shooting primarily.  If I can afford to store any non-perishable items in bulk today, I feel that I am money ahead tomorrow.  Buy today for tomorrow!

kaiservontexas

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
aimsurplus.com, ammunitiontogo.com, sportsmansguide.com, or at a store/gun show is how I purchase my ammunition.

I have not purchased ammunition during the panic.

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »
www.rimrockammunition.com

They sell by the case.

I try to have 1-2k per centerfire handgun/long gun, 500 per shotgun, 5-7k per .22......but I just purchased another 2 shotguns and 3 stripped AR lowers......dang, gotta buy more ammo.

blar

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 09:36:05 PM »
one place to find the best price...   http://gun-deals.com/  all I use  8)

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 10:27:45 PM »
I get mine here.

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html

Unfortunately walmart has the best prices in town on the stuff they carry. Of course they will ask you all kind of questions and some ten year old zit faced kid will ultimately decide if you can buy it or not.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:56:43 PM »
wowza!!! now I got a lot of websites to visit. Thanks guys this board rocks.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:15:46 PM »
I have bought ammo at a gun show from buyammo.com and have been happy.  Haven't tried their web site, though.

Buyammo.com is cool because I can get factory reloads for practice rounds.  They put them in a surplus 30 cal ammo can that's included with the price.  (I store most of my stuff in 50 cal cans, but the 30s are nice little ones.) 

I think I paid $115 or $125 for 500 factory reloads of 9mm.  They shot great.

I think buyammo.com has people who go to gun shows and sell.  The west coast ammo salesperson is a very beautiful young lady.  That probably had nothing to do with my purchase. 

millerized1

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 07:52:17 PM »
Don't have any.....

No guns either.
Any other questions?

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline punkndisorderly

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »
I take a somewhat different tact that most. I stick with the big name retailers like Cabela's, Sportsman Guide, Midway USA, etc. I pick exactly what I'm looking for (Hornady TAP, Winchester White Box, milspec 5.56, whatever) and backorder it in as large an order as I can afford. Then I wait patiently in line for the backorder to be filled. Midway will let you ask to be alerted by email when particular items come in stock and have estimates of when they expect it.

That seems to work better for me and is much less stressful for me than hitting stores weekly and coming away empty handed or buying whatever they happen to have. It also beats sacrificing half a day to attend a gun show having grubby people who seem like they haven't bathed or shaved since they were last employed, and paying money for gas, parking, and entry just for the chance to buy reloads of unknown quality. I just punch a few buttons on the computer and open the package when it gets here eventually. I've ordered perhaps 1,200 rounds of various .223/5.56 and about as many rounds of 9mm in the past few months. Both in calibers and brands that were impossible  to find locally and exactly what I wanted.

As far as how much to get. I tend to try to keep on hand a few hundred rounds of serious defensive ammo for my main guns (Hornady TAP, Speer Gold Dots, etc) after running a couple of hundred to check for accuracy, reliability, etc. Then I try to keep 2 or 3 months of range ammo on hand reordering a couple of months worth when needed. I don't really anticipate needing several thousand rounds for anything. At the end of firing a couple of thousand rounds in anger, the chances of me being around at the end of it are fairly slim. If I do beat the odds, there should be lots of weapons and ammo to pick up. 

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 11:04:31 PM »
If you want large amounts of cheap ammo you are going to have a hard time finding it.

On the other hand, I can large amounts of premium self defense ammo for the same price I got it 6 months ago.

Also...enough ammo? Well I think it largely depends on who you are and what you think your likely survival scenario will entail. For instance, I currently have around 400 rounds of 9mm with about 20 home defense rounds. Yet, I have heard this amount of ammo referred to as a 'cache' or 'stockpiling' ammo. I think I do not have enough. However, this is purely from a hunting perspective. I do not think I will have to fight of roving hoards of people. I think I will need bullets to catch some meat for food.

The guy at Walmart told me people were stockpiling that bought one case of 9mm. 1000 rounds. I am a member of a shooting club and when I could buy ammo would use 500 - 1000 rounds a month. I shoot less now.

That is not a stockpile. Before I sold it all (in case the government asks  ;) ) I had about 1000 rounds of 9mm hydrashock and over 2500 rounds of 9mm FMJ, and probably 50,000 rounds of all types combined. I hardly consider that a stockpile when you have 20 weapons to feed and try to shoot often. The 1919 consumes a lot of 30-06, but once the belt is loaded its just fun.

If you are looking for premium ammo go with ammunitiontogo.com, they are great to deal with and have a decent supply.

If you are looking for target load, Georgia arms has reloads, but the price is up from 6 months ago.

The best place though is not online. When they get it in, Walmarts still sells 100 rounds of 9mm winchester white box for 19.97. I also scored 500 rounds of 223, remington 55gr for 8.47 a box of 20.