Author Topic: Gluten Free?  (Read 12805 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Gluten Free?
« on: December 12, 2008, 10:26:29 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions for being on a Gluten free diet? My mom is Gluten free and we are testing my son on it. Any suggestions? Please?
I've got a few recipes I can post for Gluten free breads/cakes. They are pretty good!

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: Gluten Free?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:20:56 PM »
Not quite a bunch of recipes, but might be able to help you out a little, if you don't already know.

-  The Walmart Great Value brand of foods is continually marking more of their foods, that are gluten free, right on the package.

-  One must become an expert in reading ingredient labels and knowing what could or could not indicate potential gluten containing ingredients.  An example, rice crispies have gluten in them but fruity pebbles don't.  Also, different brands of the same food could run the gamut of gluten-free to gluten-containing.

-  Specialty grocers, such as Whole Foods, will typically have dedicated aisles and a vast array of foodstuffs specifically for gluten-free, lactose-free, etc.

-  If a processed food, e.g. soups, chilis, ice cream bars, cereals, etc., was gluten-free the last time you bought it, reread the label each time you purchase it again.  Food manufacturers can switch ingredients and/or suppliers and change ingredients between times that you purchase an item.

-  If a person is extremely sensitive to gluten, cross contamination can be a problem.  If it is a serious concern, you must use separate, clean and different cooking utensils and surfaces.  Don't use teflon lined pots & pans because it has been found that they can cause cross-contamination even!

-  It has been found that those on a gluten-free diet that eat many processed/store bought, non-whole foods can wind up with high cholesterol problems due to the high fat diet.  Also, you can eat just about all the meats that you want.  Lots of red meat can mean problems with the fats in them as well.  Watch spices because they may contain gluten.  Be careful with processed lunch meats because many fillers can contain gluten.  Some brands that used to be gluten free were:  all Carl Budig meats and some Oscar-Meyer meats.

-  Restaurant selections for gluten-free menus are increasing all of the time.  Sometimes you have to ask for their gluten-free menu, other times gluten-free is listed right on the menu and other times yet you may have to talk to one of the chef's about preparing (not only what but how to) foods for a gluten-free diet. 

-  For some on a gluten free diet, oats can be a problem.  For others, oats are tolerable. 

-  Watch out for fillers in medications, vitamins, etc. as well!

When I went through my doctor's gluten-free trial diet, I ate lots of fruits, vegetables, whole meats, Carl Budig meats, rice cakes with peanut butter, cheeses, plain Lay's potato chips and specialty gluten-free foods.  I also ate the Great Value Brand of Vienna Sausages.

Something to keep in mind with the gluten-free diet is that it can take a week to several months to see any positive results from a COMPLETELY gluten-free diet.  ANY gluten during the trial can upset or negate the results. 

As far as the bloodtests go to check for Celiac's Disease, make sure that the whole panel is drawn up.  There is a certain percentage of the population that does not produce the indicator antibody for Celiac's.  Which means, your bloodtest could be negative but you could still have Celiac's.  The only definitive testing that can be done at this time (I believe) is an endoscopic biopsy of the small intestines' lining. 

This is by no means anywhere close to being all encompassing, but hopefully it is a start or at least somewhat helpful!

EDIT:  From a survival standpoint, it probably would not be very difficult actually.  Almost any whole foods with the exception of grains are good.  Veggies, whole meats, fruits, rice, etc. are all ok.  Salt, cracked pepper, sugar, honey, etc. should all be good for seasonings. too
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:32:59 PM by firetoad »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:53:34 PM »
+1. thanks firetoad. I'll pass the info to my mom and wife for my son.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 12:13:31 PM »
Firetoad you rock!

My brother was recently diagnosted and I've been doing a little reading up on the diet.  This is very helpful!

V/r Berserker Prime

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 11:15:21 AM »
I'm posting a GF banana bread recipe on the Recipe Forum. Here's the thread:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1648.0

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:45:04 PM »
I'm posting a GF banana bread recipe on the Recipe Forum. Here's the thread:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1648.0

Thank you Archer!  This rocks.  3 months ago I had no idea Gluton was a problem for some folks, then my brother was diagnosted with it after he was told he had Diabetes.  He's only 32 and feeling overwelmed with both problems. 

v/r  Berserker

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 11:17:07 PM »
you are welcome. both of those are serious life changing problems. I know, my best friend (of 20+ years) was diabetic and his diabetes is what caused his death 8 years ago.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 09:48:56 AM »
Archer:  Thanks fer the thread!

FireToad:  Thanks for the excellent info, +1 fer ya.

BP:  Your brother is lucky to have a brother like you.

I have never been diagnosed with Celiacs, (tested yes, confirmed no) but I know I have that or some other food allergy issues with gluten.  And yes, as FireToad stated, you have to become an EXPERT label reader AND INTURPRETER.  My sensitivity to gluten comes and goes, with various highs and lows.  But overall, it leaves me rolling on the floor with my gut drawn up into severe and long lasting muscle spasms.  That's on a real bad day, otherwise I suffer everything from abdominal "discomfort" to all out knock me down on the floor writhing with pain for a few hours type of attacks.

I guess I am one of the ones that can eat oats, cause I usually have a bowl of Starbucks "Perfect Oatmeal" every morning and I really don't think it has bothered me yet.  I toss in two packs of brown sugar and two packs of their nuts and I'm good.

I think gluten allergies must be one of the most common of the food allergies, and I know sometimes I feel (wish??) I was dying, but there are indeed some food allergies out there that are DEADLY for some folks with peanuts and shellfish being at or near the top of that list.

I also avoid "hot" foods like jalapeno and the hot pepper's.  I love spices, but can't do hot.  Hot to me is not a flavor, but rather a sensation and not necessary for my culinary experience.  The Olive Garden has begun putting the little red pepper flakes in everything they make, at the "factory".  It's in their sauces, mixes and preps.  But don't mention it in the menus.  The only thing I now eat at The OG is something they make in-house without the red pepper flakes. 

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »
My mom has those types of spasms from her allergy. And I get them every so often also, so I wonder if I am have a touch of Celiacs. As a fellow sufferer, it hurts!

Mizer

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 02:07:51 AM »
My mom has those types of spasms from her allergy. And I get them every so often also, so I wonder if I am have a touch of Celiacs. As a fellow sufferer, it hurts!

this is a pretty old thread but i had the exact same problem..i'd eat frosted mini wheats before school and always have some terrible stomach spasms shortly after.  i was tested/biopsied/confirmed 3 years ago and no more stomach problems, unless i accidentally eat something im not supposed to. seven people in my family so far have tested positive for it, 3 including me in my immediate family.

ive mostly converted to the "cave man diet"... just meat, seeds, and raw vegetables.

but heres some GF stuff that my mom and i like from whole foods/krogers/etc:

http://www.schaer.com/us/gluten-free-products/pizza/
those are the best tasting pizza crusts ive tried

http://www.glutino.com/content/view/79/115/
glutino makes good pretzels, and some decent frozen dinners - i like their chicken pad thai a lot.

i also like the peanut butter cookies that whole foods makes, usually in the freezer section with the breads.

http://www.larabar.com/
other quick snacks like Lara bars are good and they have a large variety of flavors

http://www.lundberg.com/products/risotto/risotto_nf_parm.aspx
creamy parmesan risotto --excellent

amy's makes decent enchiladas but they usually have soy in them or something which my stomach doesnt like either

weight watchers came out with a few "smart ones" frozen dinners that are GF too. one is turkey medallions in cranberry sauce, another is some sort of santa fe rice & beans dip, and the last is the smallest possible serving of chicken mixed with bell peppers

sorry i dont have any recipes, im in college and try to keep my meals as easy to cook as possible :)

other than that i'd suggest getting the 'gluten free restaurant guide'..its on amazon i believe
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:41:26 AM by Mizer »

Mizer

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 03:45:59 AM »
also i found this site while trying to put together a small supply of GF MREs for camping and preps

http://www.food4celiacs.com/ShopOnline/index.html

going to buy one of each brand to see how they taste

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 03:08:02 PM »
I experienced some health issues years ago, before the common advent of gluten free foods. When my homeopath suggested gluten free - it was a do it yourself sort of deal.

I can tell you that it was tough for me.

So, I started investigating other alternative diets and diet communities.

I settled on the Raw Foods Diet - which is exactly what it sounds like - nothing cooked.

Over the past 2-3 years the Raw movement has gained a LOT of followers, from health people, to hippies, to diabetics looking for alternatives to medication.

There is a lot of information out there on Raw, with the most common source being blogs and books including http://www.amazon.com/Sunfood-Diet-Success-System/dp/1556437498/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239311030&sr=8-1

Raw is a lifestyle change (as is diabetic medication, or gluten free.) It isn't I will deny myself something for a few weeks until I drop 10 pounds - it is a deliberative adult choice to change our world - much like prepping.

Of interest to us as preppers, is the fact that Raw can basically be done in the cheapest way - right in the gardens that we build out back (well, with some additional supplements that are also easy to stock and shelf stable for years...)

Its worth checking into. I am now about 80% raw, and pretty much the only thing I eat cooked is meat (I like my animals bloody, what can I say?...) I am far healthier, to the point where I only go in for annual checkups. I spend much less of my budget on foods - and almost none during the summer. I do good for the environment. And yes, the garden is my refuge by need and desire.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
Man... what a glutened up week!  Looks like it's sunk it's claws into my gut again.  History:  About 10 years ago, my gluten issues came to a head while I was eating at a local Mexican place and was pigging out on the chips and salsa, had a knot swell up in my gut like something was trying to come out and it almost put me on the floor.  Lasted about two weeks with this cramped up intestinal mess.  Started doing some reseach and found a friend that was having the same issues as I, and he was diagnosed as gluten sensitive.  I cut out all known gluten, and although embarrassing to tear the meat off of my double quarter pounder and woof it down, it worked.  Arby's was the only fast food place that understood my issues and would allow me to order just 5oz. of roast beef without a bun.  They would just put it in one of their clear plastic clamshells and hand me a fork.  I did that route for about 5 years and was, for all intents and purposes, "cured".  As stated, trying to eat out in a "gluten free" manor is not easy, and over the last 5 years or so I have gradually worked my way back up to a normal type of diet with no consideration for gluten content without much incident.  Until recently...

A week ago I did an unintentional back to back pizza fest without thinking a thing about it.  A small local Italian place my daughter and I love to go to has the best pizza, I think they put beer in the dough, and I frequently eat a whole pizza there by myself, well I did.  Then the next night I tried to use an old pizza stone in an attempt to enhance the flavor of a Totino's frozen pizza.  I jacked the oven up to 500 degrees and preheated the stone for about 15 minutes hoping it would add a little "sizzle" to the crust, then cooked it for the recommended 13 minutes at 450 degrees.  When I took it out, I almost dropped it because it was so floppy.  Not the results I expected.  When I looked at the pizza stone, it had a puddle of liquid (oil???) under where the pizza had been cooked.  The cheese was bubbling when I took it out and although the crust wasn't underdone, it was soggy.  I ate about half of it and WHAM, felt like someone had crammed a brick down my throat and turned it sideways in my stomach.  And it basically has been there for the week.  So I don't know if it was one "dough over the line" or the mystery oil, but it has just about done me in.  Anything in my normal diet has just about killed me with almost the same "sideways brick" reaction, with a cup of oatmeal from Starbucks yesterday morning being the last straw.

And I know it takes time to see a relief from gluten reaction, but today was the beginning, again.  Someone here recommended the Annies brand, and I found it at WallyWorld (WW), along with several Progresso flavors, all of which were labled "GLUTEN FREE".  I ate the Annies Organic Southwest Fire Roasted Vegatable soup this morning, and while just a tad on the spicy side for me, it did not produce the "sideways brick" that I have come to dread after eating anything this week.  I also picked up a "Gluten Free" nutrition drink called Boost, in chocolate to help get me back on track nutritionally since I have eaten so poorly due to "food fear" this week.

I didn't find anything in the Campbell's line that was labeled "Gluten Free" (GF)  And of the three brands of nutritional supplement drinks (Ensure, Boost and a 3rd I can't remember), only the Boost was labled GF.  Gonna make a trip to Whole Foods and Fresh Market tonight to see what offerings they might add to my new diet.  And I'm getting a new Spork, cutting it in half and putting them on my keychain to combat the fast food places that don't offer options other than a bun for stuffing their food in your face.  I just want to feel like a human again, but I'll settle for "brick" free!

Tim.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
Going back over this thread I looked at one of the links Mizer gave to Schar Foods and found an excellent Q & A on the issue.
http://www.schar.com/us/celiac-disease-nutrition/knowledge-a-z/322.html#faq322

I've been gluten free for a little over 24 hours now and I am beginning to feel somewhat normal again.  It is AMAZING how this can drop you like a rock and make you feel oh so less than human when it hits.  Making such a drastic dietary change has caused me some problems today as well.  Didn't eat a whole lot yesterday, and this morning all I had was one of the gluten free nutritional drinks I bought yesterday, then tried to hold out until my wife and daughter could join me for lunch, got caught in traffic, a lot of heat, throw in some anger from the other motorists and by the time I had made it to where we were going, it was after 1:PM.  My body ran out of gas before I made it to the food.  Cold, sweaty, clammy, feeling like I was headed to the floor, cramps, FEAR, more fear, panic...DAMN!  Felt better after I ate, but man, you cut off certain foods cold turkey and then try to give your gut a little time before throwing stuff back in there and I guess my bloodsugar hit the floor.  I gotta take better care of myself!  Keep your fingers crossed for me this week.

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »
Good luck Tim!!! My mom is gluten free also and has had serious intestinal problems for decades before they discovered what it was...

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Good luck Tim!!! My mom is gluten free also and has had serious intestinal problems for decades before they discovered what it was...

Thanks my friend.  That's where I am right now, "serious intestinal problems".  But...  This morning was the first in about a week and a half I didn't wake up with my gut all clenched up, so maybe the GF diet is starting to give me a little relief.  I actually had two plates of food today, and I am STUFFED!

And I forgot to mention that I take a prescription drug by the brand name of Symax (hyoscyamine is the generic) for stomach and colon spasms, but since I hadn't been having any problems until recently, I had stopped taking it.  Started back on it 2 days ago and I think it's really helping too.  Stops the "quivering liver" feeling within about 10 minutes.  I also have a drug called Carafait (or something like that) which is used to help coat your digestive system if you know your going to do something stupid .  It's a big pill, but I just pop one on the back of my tongue and hit it with just a tiny bit of water and that thing literally melts in place and slides right on down in like 2 seconds.  My wife just recently changed jobs so we lost our insurance, but will have new in about a month, so I guess whatever it is, I'll just have to wait it out.

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »
And I forgot to mention that I take a prescription drug by the brand name of Symax (hyoscyamine is the generic) for stomach and colon spasms, but since I hadn't been having any problems until recently, I had stopped taking it.  Started back on it 2 days ago and I think it's really helping too.  Stops the "quivering liver" feeling within about 10 minutes.  I also have a drug called Carafait (or something like that) which is used to help coat your digestive system if you know your going to do something stupid .  It's a big pill, but I just pop one on the back of my tongue and hit it with just a tiny bit of water and that thing literally melts in place and slides right on down in like 2 seconds.  My wife just recently changed jobs so we lost our insurance, but will have new in about a month, so I guess whatever it is, I'll just have to wait it out.
My mom used to take a pill like that to help 'coat' her internal tract to prevent some problems. It was actually meant as a blocker to be inhaled to reduce allergic reactions to air, but the Dr suggested swallowing them. Worked well.

I've wondered if I also have gluten problems, but my stomach issues seem to be less food related. My mothers son I am..

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »
My mothers son I am..

I think we all fit into that description Archer.  Also I forgot to mention I ran out of my Nexium and had to switch over to OTC Prilosec, which never worked well for me, so I don't know if I am putting together "the perfect storm" or what's really going on.

Tim.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
OK, here I are about two months after my last message and in this time I have tried everything I can do to eliminate gluten from my diet.  It is a lot harder than it sounds and as has been said, you do have to become somewhat of a "food label expert".  I have found that some manufacturers do list Allergens in a separate place on the label,  and others don't so sometimes you left with a can of "mystery" in your hand.  Does it contain wheat gluten, or not?  Seems like an easy question.  But not always an easy answer.

I was able to get back on my prescription Nexium and I still think it works better for me than the Prilosec.  I am also trying to ween myself off of caffeine, carbonated drinks and "sugared" drinks as well.  I drink so much Pepsi, if I could have gotten a Pepsi IV to stay running I'd have been a happy camper.  And even with my Daughter working at Starbucks everyday, I cut that out a few months ago and don't drink any coffee now.

Now he's where the conversation is going to get a little "sticky".  Well actually, STUCK!  As in constipated.  I have just experienced the last 3 days of abdominal cramps that have just about pushed me over the edge.  Well the cause was reveled to me this morning during my morning ritual with the Porcelain Buddha.  Yeah, without getting gross here, a plumber would have framed my offering.  I was simply constipated.  And it has caused me so much grief, pain and concern over the last 3 days that I was about to head off to the Doc.  I didn't "feel" constipated.  I didn't "know" I was constipated and had had a few small offerings for the Porcelain Buddha, but I was.  and that as best as I can tell was the source for all of my concerns over the last 3 days.

So, unless I want a new title of "Full Of It" added to my name by any number of a few of our humorous Moderators/Admins here, it looks like I need to add a little more fiber than I have been to my daily diet.  I just never envisioned myself having to be a "prune sucker" at age 52, but I like that option better than what I have gone through for the last 3 days.

OK, here comes the funny side of constipation...

The various body parts were arguing over who was the "Boss" of the body.
The Brain piped up and said "I control all the thinking, so I am the "Boss".
Then the Heart said "I pump all the blood to all you guys, so I am the "Boss".
The Muscles then said "We move the body wherever it needs to go, so we're the "Boss".

About that time, the Butthole chimed in and said "I am the "Boss" of the body".
And all the other body parts started laughing and said "You couldn't be the "Boss", your have no important function here".
With that comment, the Butthole decided to show them who was "Boss" and slammed shut, as tight as a submarine hatch!

On the first day, the Brain got real foggy, and everything turned "green" and it couldn't think straight or figure out what to do.
On the second day, the Heart was having to work so hard that it was almost at the point of total exhaustion.
On the third day, the Muscles all went limp and turned to jello.

Moral of the story:  You don't have to be a Brain or a Jock to be a "Boss", just a Butthole!

And there is a lot more truth to that than you can imagine if you have never been constipated.

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »
Good to hear that you cleared out your pipes Tim!!!
Keep a sharp eye out for Gluten!

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 08:51:31 PM »
Good to hear that you cleared out your pipes Tim!!!
Keep a sharp eye out for Gluten!

And pipe "droppings"!

Tim.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 07:31:20 AM »
And while I was doing some research on "Gluten" and the issues/symptoms I ran across a few other "conditions" that are similar in their effect on the body.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome

Inflammatory Bowel Diease:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease

Ulcerative Colitis:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulcerative_colitis

All three share some common symptoms with gluten sensitivities such as abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, chronic abdominal pain, discomfort, bloating, and alteration of bowel habits with Ulcerative Colitis being more severe and usually involving bloody diarrhea/stool.

I never knew there were so many gastrointestinal ailments that could sideline you from "life".  Seems like the more I know, the less I want to know!

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 01:23:32 PM »
I wondered if I have IBS at times.... Thanks for the links Tim!

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 09:03:38 AM »
I haven't read everything but did want to say we've been gluten free for 6 years+.  Check out http://nurtured.com/glutenfree It's a blog I haven't done much with in a while.  It has some recipes we use that are tried and true.  I will read the thread then maybe post more.  I'm happy to share my knowledge if you want to PM me with specific questions. 

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
I wondered if I have IBS at times.... Thanks for the links Tim!

It can be very confusing Archer.  The symptoms are so very similar between them all. 

Tim.

Offline Duckster

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 03:00:36 PM »
I've had UC (ulcerative colitis) since October of '06. I went in with cramps, and bloody, constant diarrhea. The first ER doc said 'allergic reaction,' gave me some benadryl, and at my insistence, some stool sample bottles. I figured he was a tool, so I filled the bottles (took a good couple of days, I'll tell you, since I wasn't eating due to the diarrhea) and took them to the other hospital in town. A quick exam, the lab took the samples, and lost them!

I filled a few more, and the results came back 'inconclusive,' though the ER doc said 'celiacs,' gave me some T3's, and said to look it up online. Sheesh, that was a scare! We went gluten free for another week (I was at 2 months now after presenting the first symptoms) with no improvement. Back to the ER, admitted at 6 pm, stayed there until 9am when the gastroentorologist showed up. A quick probe, alien style, and 30 seconds later he said "you have ulceritic colitis. Start on these meds, make an appt. with my office ASAP, and we'll talk about it."

I've had two flare-ups since then, due to meds passing through instead of breaking up in my intestines, and stress. Physical stress, I helped a friend pour a concrete deck, and 30 or so wheelbarrow loads of concrete put a lot of strain on my 'core.' But since March of '08, no real flare ups. Still bloody stool from time to time, but it's not nearly as scary.

So, in summation, if you have gut problems, don't dawdle, talk to someone who knows what they're talking about. Don't trust a tylenol dispenser at the ER to know every problem that exists. And ask questions!

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 03:12:08 PM »
I've had UC (ulcerative colitis) since October of '06.

Thanks for sharing that Duckster, and WELCOME to the Funny Farm while I'm at it.  It just amazes me that gut issues can be caused by so many things that you didn't put in your mouth and have such a profound effect on the rest of the body.  You never would have ever convinced me a gut problem could effect a persons mental health and thinking process, ability to cope, reason, etc.

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing that Duckster, and WELCOME to the Funny Farm while I'm at it.  It just amazes me that gut issues can be caused by so many things that you didn't put in your mouth and have such a profound effect on the rest of the body.  You never would have ever convinced me a gut problem could effect a persons mental health and thinking process, ability to cope, reason, etc.
Oh you are so right Tim..!!