Author Topic: Pop Rivets!  (Read 2230 times)

AC

Pop Rivets!
« on: January 24, 2010, 01:29:21 AM »
Pop goes the rivet!

I'm considering getting a hand-operated pop rivet tool and some pop rivets, for two reasons I can think of right now:

(1) To rebuild my motorcycle saddle bags, long-suffering Willie & Max cheapo bags, with teeny rivets pulling out of the leather. need to replace all present rivet points plus I'm going to reinforce the outside of inner and lower sides with some plastic.

(2) My efforts to braze are an abject failure due to my torch being gutless, and it's probably not as good a method anyway, To build various structures out of food cans and aluminum, stainless steel, galvanized sheet etc to make wood, alcohol, kerosene, etc stoves and heaters.

Anyone got any good pop-rivet experience to pass on?

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
Re: Pop Rivets!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »
I've done a fair amount of pop-riveting on sheet metal, mostly for improvised workbenches and spot-repairs of tool cabinets and the like aboard ship.  Dunno that it'd be a fantastic replacement for brazing, since usually brazing isn't for structural work but piping.  At least, I've never brazed anything but pipes.  As far as brands... I haven't the foggiest.  I just sent one of my firemen for "the riveter," since we only had the one.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »
I bought a cheapo brand 20 years ago. I use it a few times a year and its still going strong. I think the emphases should be on using quality rivets more so then the rivet tool.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:56:05 PM »
I have a long sad history of using rivets on leather.  Just be sure to buy some good washers to back the rivets or fasten them out of some thick and hard veg-tan.

We actually used steel pop rivets at a previous job to assembly sunroofs.  Of course it was pneumatic and only required a trigger pull.  That and I had some guys add sensors to detect the stem exit to ensure we didn't drop stems in the mechanicals and to ensure the people did their freakin job.  End of derailment...

J

AC

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »
Yeah I bookmarked a page on ehow or wiki answers or one of those, where someone helpfully typed out a whole table of different types of rivets. They range from cheapo aluminum to stainless etc.

I'm just planning to get a 'decent' tool, these motorcycle saddle bags are cheapies but fit my bike well, they were just made using teeny rivets. Like the ones used on plastic school folders, know the ones? So I plan to replace all the riveted points with pop rivets, plus will add a few because I'm going to put plastic plates on the inner and under sides.

I'm thinking a cost of $20 or so and a tool I can use for other stuff as opposed to $100 for new bags, which I can't afford.