Author Topic: Help with Homebrewing  (Read 680 times)

Offline Burnt Hollow

• Prepper
Help with Homebrewing
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:42:31 PM »
Hey there everyone. I am an award winning homebrewer, and have been brewing at home and making wine at home for 5 years. Lately I have had a few friends ask me to help them pick out equipment, or identify starter equipment, for them to get into brewing. There is so much equipment out there, and it can be really intimidating to get into the hobby if you don't know what you are doing. I have been trying to figure out how to turn my home brew operation into a business, not really to make money, but more as a tax write off. So I'm wondering if there is a market for a consultant to show the client exactly what they need to get started, and brew the first batch of beer with them, explaining everything as we go.
I also make wine and hard cider. I made all of the beer and wine for my wedding. It turned out very professional, we saved a lot of money, and the guests absolutely loved it!
What do you think? Is there anyone in the Denver metro area that would be interested in this service? This is not an active business right now. I'm just wondering if there would be any interest.

Offline otierney

• Prepper
Re: Help with Homebrewing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
I would be interested, but perhaps more from the angle of taking a class. Not sure if that helps give a direction to the business angle,but it might be something to consider. There's a new business called Denver Urban Homesteading - http://www.denverurbanhomesteading.com/ - and they are offering classes in a number of areas. They might be worth approaching for something like this.
Best regards,
Owen

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 05:38:52 PM »
Looks like an old thread but I recently figured out what my wife and I can do together as a business! She thinks a brewery would be cool! So next step is learning to brew and to start towards that stuff. I am looking for a good way to include the Permaculture stuff and have a brewery. The other part is where can I learn this stuff? or what are some ideas you guys have?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 05:47:52 PM »
I know that in my state (Maryland), it is much easier to start a brewery if you are sourcing a certain percentage of the ingredients on the premises.  It also allows the brewery to sell the beer directly to the customer.  At least that's my understanding of it. You may want to see if you have something like this in your state.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
I guess I will high jack this threat? Yea I found some of the licencing stuff but do you need something to be a brewer so to speak. IE just to brew for the public do you need cert or anything? or if a company said we want you to brew for us do I need a cert of some sort?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »
You mean something that says that you are a brewer?  Some sort of certification?  I don't think so.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:49:05 PM »
Sweet. Yea I was worried that there might be some "I AM A BREWER" type cert that I would need classes for or some sort of other BS. I am trying to see what the red tape issues would be and how hard they are.

I am going to do some brewing in house and see what everyone thinks around group of friends/family then move on to maybe something like a brewery that will be in a specific property. I am really excited to start this but I need to start small.

Is there anyone who would do a beer of the month club? or maybe a beer of the month sampler club? I am trying to think of something fun that could get the attention of more people and get the market part going.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
Is there something anyone can think of that is survival related that might fit into brewing?

nelson96

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:10:37 PM »
Is there something anyone can think of that is survival related that might fit into brewing?

A way to recoop after you realized all the prep's you stored up and didn't use?

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »
I am not sure what that would be. I think so far it could be some eco-tourism stuff going on. Maybe somewhere to have a big event or something. The mash or what ever is left can go to the local farmers or to my personal farm or something.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 08:54:11 PM »
Just remember: Some batches take a very long time to mature, while others are quick.  Even the same recipe is no guarantee. 

I had one a while back the fourth or fifth time I'd used that recipe.  Even after 30 days, it was green as hell (great on steaks, though).  So, I'd bottled it, and shortly afterwards is when I tried my hand at Korny kegs. 

So, I'd forgotten about the batch when it came time to move about 14-15mos later.  I see these bottles and think, "oh yeah, there's that crappy batch I made."  I didn't want to move it, so I popped the cap on one, and began pouring it down the sink.  A few seconds into the second bottle, I was punched in the face by the aroma of a sweet, dark wheat German with undertones of anise and vanilla. 

Best batch I've ever made, and I almost dumped it out!!   ;)

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »
thank you. Yea all the "screw ups" will go into the mystery bottles or something like that if the batch isnt going to kill you

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 01:50:59 PM »
There are some certifications available.  Check out American Brewers Guild and Craft Brew for some of them.  But none are required.

An observation is that for many craft brew places, the brewer won some competitions and they showcase the winning brew.