Author Topic: Should I get a gun safe for my BOL?  (Read 18090 times)

McClarinJ

Re: Should I get a gun safe for my BOL?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »
I've made a few of these thanks to Home Depot.
They are a fraction of the cost if you buy your own parts and make it yourself.
You can bury them vertically or horizontally. You can glue and seal both ends for long term or glue one end and screw on the other end for periodic access.
They can easily be attached to docks and piers or weighted down with a cement block and sunk in a pond.

Good luck finding 6" and 8" diameter PVC well casing at Home Depot or Lowe's.  You can get those sizes at a plumbing supply store but you will pay a lot for them.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »
Really not too hard to find the parts. My local dealer is a vendor for Charlotte Pipe. They have a great in stock selection at reasonable prices.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »
My local Home Depot carries the 6" but I've never seen 8" there. I don't think they have any 8" parts either.
I should have mentioned that I don't use the sch40. I use the pipe marked "for non pressure use only" so I assume its for drains and sewer vents and that kind of thing.

Offline CivilDefense

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:29 AM »
You dont want glass fronted gun storage. As a friend told me, "Your wife might not know the difference between your guns, but for sure she can count."

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2009, 09:33:57 AM »
You dont want glass fronted gun storage. As a friend told me, "Your wife might not know the difference between your guns, but for sure she can count."
This reminds me of a very old article I read called "Gun Running Past Your Wife" by Patrick Mcmanus.

Hey Big G,
I posted a link to this site on another thread but it may be handy here as well.

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2009, 11:07:54 AM »
  I have about 6 long guns and a couple of handguns to go out to the BOL.

That's not a lot of guns. Bury them. A cache is the only safe and responsible way to go if you have guns at a location that you would not be AT when TSHTF. Your counting on your neighbor... a single neighbor... who is not a long term proven family member or friend for initial security.... Does he ever eat, sleep, take a shit? Does he ever go anyplace other than his place? Does he have a health condition that would impede his ability to respond to an event at your location? Guns are a responsibility you cannot foster onto anyone else in any form. They are a deadly weapon that can be used against you. I had a friend who did not want to spend the money necessary to secure his guns (he could buy another gun for the cost of a good safe or to improve a poor safe to something worthwhile). I then asked him how he would feel coming home with his 16 year old beauty of a daughter to face his own guns in the hands of the bad guys. How would you like to get to your Bug Out Location only to find squatters are there and armed with the guns and ammo you left there in a "safe". I have 1 pump shotgun with 50 rounds and an old .357mag Tarus 66 pawn shop find, in a Sch40 PVC tube strapped to the floor joists in the crawl space under the house with plumber's tape. All other firearms and ammo are hidden in caches close to but secure from the house. If I arrive with no firearms and have the immediate need to arm myself i can recover the shotgun and revolver quickly and easily since I know where they are. If someone is squatting or are involved in criminal activity when I arrive I have not armed them. The weapons under the house can be recovered in stealth at night or if they are recovered by the bad guy squatting and I have my E&E rifle, I can engage at a range beyond the common reach of the hidden shotgun. A safe is simply not safe when the burglar has large amounts of time to exploit the weaknesses of the safe. The only other way I would leave weapons and ammo unburied at a BOL is to secure them between the wall studs of an internal wall and then Sheetrock, tape, Spackle and paint the wall. This means I would have to actually destroy the sheetrock to recover the weapons. To me that's ok. If I arrive with all my stuff and there is no problems I'll leave the hidden weapons hidden. If i arrive weaponless then I won't mind the damage to an internal non-load bearing wall to recover my hidden weapons. If the weapons are so low in value that you don't want to spend the money for them and you trust a neighbor to secure your house put them in a footlocker and ask that neighbor to store them for you until you get there. I lost my favorite 30-06 because I thought a gun safe would be adequate to secure our pricier possessions at our property. I was wrong. Bury them or permanently and completely hide them. Unsecured guns and ammo are invitations to disaster.
Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »
This reminds me of a very old article I read called "Gun Running Past Your Wife" by Patrick Mcmanus.

Hey Big G,
I posted a link to this site on another thread but it may be handy here as well.

http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/

Whoa.  Just like in Scooby Doo.

For the record, while my wife isn't down with the prepping and doesn't know of a single thing I'm doing to prep, she is OK with guns.  She's getting better.  

I don't NEED to hide my guns from her, but "out of sight is out of mind" and the safest course is to keep her in the dark.  So I just WANT to hide my guns from her.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

That's not a lot of guns. Bury them.

I use these guns every couple of weekends for fun so I need easy access to them.

But I have a few "butter knife" guns that I don't shoot often.  I could keep them in a place other than a safe. 

I appreciate all the thoughts here.  Keep the suggestions coming.  Not only am I learning from this thread, lots of others are ... and the info just might save a life in the future.

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 07:54:21 PM »
Hey G,
I know I'm coming into this a bit late, but I have a cheap suggestion for you.
Buy a $100 gun safe at the Wal-Mart. Find yourself a spot under you house that you can work in. Dig out a rectangle the shape of the gun safe (make it a good 3 feet deep). Fill the hole with concrete and set SEVERAL large bolts into the concrete, threads up. When the rock is dry, drill holes in the cabnet to match the bolts. Bolt it down with a few locks washers and 2 nuts on each bolt. When it is finished, get some barn hinge locks and some heavy duty locks. Install these with a few corner braces as well.

Sounds like a lot of work, but I have a similar setup (sans the concrete...but the safe is lag bolted to the logs of my house and reinforced with locks and corner braces), and the reinforcing has turned a cheap, easily entered safe into a bit more of a challenge.

To get your guns, you would have to dug under the concrete, wrap chains around it and pull it out with a truck. :)

The only people you will keep out are the "smash and grab" guys. a pro WILL get your guns...if he can find them.

Just some thoughts.....

Feels good to be posting again.  ;D

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2009, 08:04:07 PM »
Thanks Trioxin.  Nice to see you're out of the joint.  Kidding, kidding, kidding. 

I'm taking all these posts in and thinking about how to do this right.

It's complicated too because my BOL isn't a house where you can wheel a big cart into a house.  I have a hill do go down on uneven ground.  Not ideal for bringing in a heavy package. 

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2009, 08:24:04 PM »
Thanks brother. Prison wasn't so bad...Just so you know...I was never the woman!  :-*

The $100 safe is pretty light man. I carried the box in myself. It is basically just a sheet metal box, that is why you need to reinforce it. Weight is not a problem with the cheapos. :)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »
You might weld a section of steel pipe to the front of the safe where the extra lock lies, and some webs extending out likewise for the cross bolts and all.

Take a look at vending machines. Those aren't broken into very often, and they're not very secure - they're exposed, and the steel shanks are big enough that you need large bolt cutters that won't fit into the recessed metal housing for the lock...

just a thought.

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 11:24:47 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work, but I have a similar setup (sans the concrete...but the safe is lag bolted to the logs of my house and reinforced with locks and corner braces), and the reinforcing has turned a cheap, easily entered safe into a bit more of a challenge.

I do not want to rain on your parade, your reinforcement efforts to an inexpensive gun "cabinet" are admirable, but I must point out that you only planned for someone ripping the door off. Cabinets like this are easily defeated with a sledge hammer to knock in the door or the border around it thus freeing the locks.

Even smash and grab thieves can do this in minutes seconds if they are not worried about noise.

Not trying to offend, just my $.02

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 11:29:07 PM by Citizen Zero »

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2009, 06:08:09 PM »
Point taken CZ...time for some more reinforcement....maybe a steel bar on the inside across the door.....

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2010, 11:45:44 PM »
Or perhaps you could simply hide it better?

I'm working on a safe room for a friend. tongue and groove wood floring is not that hard to turn into an invisible crawl space access hatch, and neither is carpet in a closet. Sheet metal is pretty easy to bend as well, and I'm pretty sure you can find an air conditioning unit somewhere by the side of the road that doesn't have the guts inside it. I dare say nobody'd think twice about two air conditioners, or whether one of them was on a slab arranged to slide over a hole in the ground...

Just sayin'... ;-)