Author Topic: Primitive Skills & Earth Skills classes in the Houston TX area?  (Read 11555 times)

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
Primitive Skills & Earth Skills classes in the Houston TX area?
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:25:48 PM »
Does anyone know of anyone teaching Primitive Skills/Eath Skills around the Houston TX area? It's one thing to read about all this stuff. I am really looking for a teacher/mentor.

Offline txjohnny

• Prepper
Re: Primitive Skills & Earth Skills classes in the Houston TX area?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:34:06 AM »
A friend of mine is working on getting something together that will be half knife fighting half wilderness survival weekend seminar in the Houston area. Timing will depend on land availability and schedules of the instructors. I will post a website link when details are arranged for those that are interested.

Offline Gray Ghost

• Senior Survivalist
  • Yuppy on the outside. Survivalist on the inside.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
Hey, post it when you get it.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 02:49:56 PM »
T.R. Zimmermann has been giving wild edible classes in the area for a number of years.  I have gone on plant walks with him ans he is increatablely knowledgeable. His background is in ethno-botany. Mister Zimmerman is not in the best health these days and cannot get around as well. So I am not sure if he is still giving classed.  A brief search came up empty, so I am not sure if he is giving classes anymore. If you cane get in on one of his classes, it might not cover everything you want, but it is a step.

I'll try more info and post it here

Offline cqbspartan

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
If you're still interested Gray Ghost, I'm willing to teach a bit in the Houston area...looking around for some wooded acreage that would be suitable to do something now that the weather is starting to cool off ...contact me if you like and we can chat about it...I can tell you about my background and see what you are most interested in...Cqbspartan@yahoo.com

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »
http://mobileedibles.blogspot.com/   I think he's in Houston. He's a mod on the Ritter forum and posts some on the Hoodlum forum. Seems like a nice guy. I respect him!

http://houstonwildedibles.blogspot.com/2008/08/chickweed.html

He may even be here from time to time!

Offline kc1415

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »
Not sure if you are still monitoring this thread, but I plan on going to this in August. 

http://www.houstonarboretum.org/event/edible-wild-plants-9

They have it every month.  When I go, I will find out if there is any benefit to going at different times of the year due to different plants being available. 

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:49:51 AM »
The last two were about the same guy. I have been a a few of his plant walks an he is a very knowledgeable and a great instructor, I  call him a friend.  I am not sure if he is a member of this forum, but he is over at the Hoodlums

Offline Azaezel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
Its a little north of you in Fort Smith Ark, but Sigma 3 has a great primitive skills program culminating in a 5 day knife only course to really test yourself, all lead by quality instructors. They have many other classes as well including wilderness medic, plant walks 3 times a year so you can see the plants in all stages of growth and more. Check them out.

Offline deakin

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 08:03:23 AM »
Dr. Mark Vorderbruggen (Merriwether) does the wild edible class at the Arboretum and does a great job. His site below is a great resource for wild edibles in the Houston/Texas area.  I highly recommend the class.
http://www.foragingtexas.com/
Wild edibles is the one area that I think you absolutely have to have training in person for. YouTube videos won't get it.