Author Topic: Daisy Powerline 880  (Read 18344 times)

Survivor Kid 909

Daisy Powerline 880
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »
Just bought this this summer for $60.  Shoots at about 750 FPS with BBs, 700 with Pellets (If I remember right) haven't taken any game with it yet, but plan on it some time soon.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
Re: Daisy Powerline 880
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »
I have used one in my job to take a skunk. 1 shot to the head with a pellet, and it was dead. Good gun for the money.
Would actually be a nice piece of fairly quiet survival equipment if needed.
Rip
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:50:24 PM by RipTombstone »

TacticalChaos15

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »
 I have really been enjoying mine. I got it at K-mart ( i think ) on sale for $50, It is pretty accurate with both BB's and Pellets and is fun to shoot. It also , for being so cheap, has a really nice feel to it. I am going camping soon and am gonna get a lot of target time in !

MikeMartin

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:08:31 PM »
I have one and use it on them annoying grackles in my back yard.  Damn things steal more dog food then the dog eats, I don't know how powerful the gun is for bigger game but with pellets it lays a grackle flat in seconds.

djturnz

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:04:08 AM »
What's a grackle?

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »
An annoying bird kind of like a blackbird, but speckled. Short little tails too.
Rip

millerized1

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
Wow, that and a Red Ryder bring back lots of painful memories.

"You'll put your eye out with that thing......" ;)

Offline John Willis

• Survivor
    • Special Operations Equipment
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 08:54:51 PM »
I had a 760 as my 1st bb gun. My friend had an 880 and 881. I couldn't afford one. I finally did get one. We killed so many birds and rabbits back them that the California population is probably still set back. Fast forward 20 years and we have one in the house today. My 10 year  old shoots it most days. He has high dollar spring/air guns as well as probably 10 other various air guns but every morning before school he is out in the back yard with the 880. Our supoer wal-mart has an end cap display with at least 100 of them and that here in tiny Camden TN.

John Willis
www.SOEtacticalgear.com

bcs_tech

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 01:17:22 AM »
My first air gun was an 880, my newer riffle was an 835 I believe, its wore out now tho, but what do you expect for 13 years of hard use. working towards getting a newer one tho. A good ammo to use is to go out and get into the Gamo pellets, I have killed opossums and coons with raptors, as well as the magnums, not the pro magnum. I actually have pictures online but will not post the link due to their graphic nature. If you want to see them, contact me about it and I will send you the link.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:46:35 PM »
 I have bought several of the 880's. If you like the 880, you should check out the 822. It is a .22 pellet rifle that is designed, and built like the 880. It is very accurate, and comes with a pretty good scope, and a real wood stock. I have several of the older model 880's that have a metal reciever, and a metal pump arm. The parts off a new gun fit right in, and you have a better gun, although quite a bit heavier.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 09:30:19 AM »
An annoying bird kind of like a blackbird, but speckled. Short little tails too.
Rip

You just described a starling. Long yellow beaks, yes?

A grackle is a thinner, smaller version of a crow with a iridescent blue/purple head. Long tails, iridescent as well. Quite pretty, actually. While a crow 'caw's, I would say a grackle 'cluck's.

Another one that looks like that is the cowbird. These have a brown head. They have more of a whistling glug-glug-gleek sound.

I shoot starlings and cowbirds on site. Grackles if they are in a large flock.

Starlings are from Europe, so they are an invasive here in the States. Brought over as a song bird.

Cowbirds are a parasitic nester. They will roll the eggs out of a nest, and lay their own. The problem here, is they like nesting in the warblers and other small song birds nets. These small birds are really hurting for territory now, so the cowbirds are having an impact on their numbers. The cowbirds like our planted fields and such, so they thrive once out of the (adopted parent's) nest. I feel that because we messed with the territory balance, we gotta mess with the predator balance as well (by stepping up to the plate on this one)

Grackles like to flock, and love dog food almost as much as bluejays! If there is just one or two grackles in the yard, I will leave them alone. If we get a flock of them though? OPEN SEASON. The dogs LOVED them. Crunch crunch crunch. Probably because they tasted like the dog food. **grin**

A bird is actually pretty tough on a pellet gun. Feathers are really good at stopping pellets. Much more so then fur. A long shot at a sitting bird, and your just as likely to bounce a pellet off of a folded up wing as anything. They make special, heavier pellets for birds. Call the pellets 'Crow Magnum'. I am trying to get my hands on some.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 09:35:03 AM »
Ahhh, thank you creuzerm! I was always told that they were grackles growing up. Rip

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »
Just to be clear on the birds

Male Grackle

Female Grackle

And now a European Starling

All are quite useful as target practice or giving an old arthritic hunting dog that can't hunt anymore something to retrieve and relive his glory days.    Once you shoot a few just leave them lay in the field they act as decoys and attract others.  I sure as hell wouldn't eat either of them unless the shit has truly hit the fan.  Believe it or not though the red winged blackbird isn't bad eating,  ::) don't ask me how I know.  ;D

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 05:13:43 PM »
Something has to be said fro the Crossman Classic 2100:

I shot more pigeons that were eating our chicken feed than I can count.

Just don't put a scope on one as the barrel on every one I ever held shift slighty from the receiver, which is where you would mount to scope. But with the iron (plastic front) sights I've had pigeon head shots at 25 yards.

SHTF time there won't be too many squirrels left in the neighbor hood.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 06:37:21 PM »
I can say that Robiin is not bad eating either. Taste just like the doves it was flying with. Thanks for the pics MS. The ones I used to shoot were the European starling.
Rip

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »
Glad to see that some of the folks that prep are getting prepared with the  air rifles for small game procurement if the need should arise. I had thought about an 880 for my son, because he had been asking for a BB rifle for Christmas.
 I got him the 1938 Red Rider instead. Not a bad little shooter.
Of coarse I didn't get it for him because of it being the featured rifle in " A Christmas Story ". The 1938 Red Rider is she same one my mothers younger brother had as a kid growing up on the family farm over in Indiana. I am the keeper of this family heirloom, and even though it is not in working order ( although it probably could be repaired ) it is still one of the original Red Rider BB rifles from the 1930's.
We took his into the back yard the day after Christmas , and set some soda cans up on a couple 2x4's with his playhouse as a backstop. He missed on the first shot, but the next one was dead on, and the look on his face let me know right away that I will have a new hunting buddy in a few more years, and the country just gained another shooting enthusiast at the same time.
So remember, teach those young shooters right. Start them with a good one, and if TSHTF, then you may have a bit of extra wild game on the table from time to time when you need it.  ;D