Author Topic: Closing on our new land next week - 68 arce BOL!  (Read 23329 times)

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
Closing on our new land next week - 68 arce BOL!
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:24:10 PM »
Well, I mentioned this a couple weeks ago, but don't like to count my chickens before they hatch. So given that everything has came through and the closing is scheduled for next Thursday, I thought it was sure enough to post now.

The wife and I have been looking to buy some land for 1.5-2 years or so. She really likes where we live, and I, not so much. But even before we were married, we talked about moving closer to our parents so when we have kids, they are more likely to come see them. Plus we wanted to build a house out in the country as opposed to the little development we live in now. So we had settled on a general area between both our parents. Right now, we live an hour or more from our parents. The area we choose would put us right around 30 minutes from each. And in a county with very low taxes. And still close enough to get to two malls in less than an hour.

So we looked at a bunch of different places, and in August found an upcoming auction with 4 parcels of land totaling 245 acres. Originally we decided we wanted 10+ acres. But decided realistically we would only be able to afford 10-20. But since this land was going at an auction, we didn't know what to expect. So we started getting our ducks in a row with financing and such and waited for it to go on the block on October 2. Oh, here is the link that will probably only work for a little bit yet:
http://www.hassingercourtney.com/default.asp?Action=DOC&ID=261

We were most interested in Parcel 3 which had 68 acres, a small camping trailer, two streams, some flat area perfect for a house, etc. But we thought it would go for too much and we would have to settle for 1 or 2. Well, we were successful in winning the bid on Parcel 3 for less than we had allowed ourselves!

So in the past 3 weeks, we have been working on getting the appraisal done, getting the loan approved, lawyers, etc. And everything came through now and the closing is scheduled for next Thursday. We are both really excited to start working on planning a house, where it will go, camping up there, etc. It will be at least 5 years till we can be in a position to start building, but still exciting for us none the less.

And here are a couple pictures. But they are in no way even close to showing everything. But I will get more in the coming weeks.

North Fork Tangascootac Creek - Looking North.

North Fork Tangascootac Creek - Looking South

Main Branch Tangascootac Creek - Looking West

Main Branch Tangascootac Creek - Looking East

Old Logging Road running along very southern tip of land.

Walking along Scootac Road. Group of about 15 turkeys just crossed the road. You can see the last two.

Offline Ian-FW

• Senior Survivalist
    • Forgotten Weapons
Re: Closing on our new land next week - 68 arce BOL!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:56 PM »
Gorgeous! Congratulations!

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »
AWSOME!  That's some gorgeous land my friend.  Enjoy it.

Dude, you could sublet/sell half of that land to a like minded individual, and still have over 30 acres.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »
That is so gorgeous! Congratulations to you both!

Offline woodsman

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
That looks like a very nice piece of property and exactly like I'm trying to find.  You are one lucky person.  I hope everything goes well.

Offline grits55

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »
Beautiful find!!  Congratulations, I'm sure you will love owning your own place.  My husband and I have 120 acres, not nearly so nice as yours, just farmland, and we love it.  We have an rv on it for now too, and even that feels like home.  Enjoy!  If I can help you in any way, information on wells, roads, etc, just let me know.   Grits  

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 01:24:51 PM »
Congratulations. Looks like a nice piece of land.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »
Beautiful and I looked up Tangascootac Creek to see what state it was in, yet I wasn't surprised at all.  Soon as I saw those pics I was like, "I know those woods".  Congrats to you on a beautiful piece of land in what can only be termed "God's Country"

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:05:32 PM »
That is some beautiful property! Congrats on the find.

Offline ClarkB

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 02:14:56 PM »
Zef 66 -

You have a real beautiful piece of land there.  Land like that can provide everything you need.  You have purchased top quallity since it has a native trout stream, which indicates the highest water quality.  I am working on a similar deal, and I know how much nail-biting, and work, hope, and time is required.  There are several threads on these boards about buying land, and I hope that folks notice that you said that it took you 1.5 to 2 years.  I think that that is typical in order to find land with the features that you have found.

Your life is now definitely better, whether times get tough or not!  Congrats!

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »
Beautiful and I looked up Tangascootac Creek to see what state it was in, yet I wasn't surprised at all.  Soon as I saw those pics I was like, "I know those woods".  Congrats to you on a beautiful piece of land in what can only be termed "God's Country"

Thanks everybody!

And Jack, this is the land that I asked a question about regarding mineral rights, which do not come with the property. You answered it in a listener questions show and mentioned the Molly Maguires.

But I need to get some more pictures. These were taken when I was walking around the property back before the auction. So after closing, I will get pictures of the cleared areas, the camper, etc.

And another nice part is the road is basically a no outlet. You can go all the way up through, but the road is really rough. I had some issues with my 4x4 truck. So the only people that travel the dirt road are ones that have hunting camps up there. And at the auction, most of the guys around came and wanted to see who was buying the land. I met probably 4 or 5 of the neighbors around that have camps. All were very nice and told me if I ever see anyone at their place to stop in and have a beer or two. I am definitely going to take them up on that.

Here is a Google maps link to the land: http://tinyurl.com/Scootac

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:21:12 PM »
*Kayzonara does the "dance of joy" for Zef and the wife.*
Perfect Strangers the dance of joy

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 07:44:09 PM »
Contgrats on a great purchase!  Enjoy many years there!

BP

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 08:59:57 PM »
Fantastic! Job well done.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 05:06:14 AM »
Damn that is some beautiful water. 

Congrats.

Offline HillbillyHemi

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 05:45:15 AM »
Very Nice! Congratulation

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 07:36:02 PM »
You will probably hate it there... feel free to sign that land over to me.
B

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »
I'm looking for one word in particular...um..........OH, yeah, that's it.............J-E-A-L-O-U-S ! ! !

Fantastic find; congratulations!!!

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »
Thou art evil.

EVIL!

Although... I bet you could host Dirt Time '11 on 68 acres...  ;D

Awesome catch, have fun with it, and in all honesty, congratulations.

*drools*

Orion

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »
Way to go! It will feel even better when you get that deed in your hand.

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 08:32:17 PM »
Better get that fishing rig set up Zef.

Beautiful, congratulations buddy!

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 10:48:31 AM »
Thanks again for all the kind words guys! I really appreciate it.

With the closing this week, we will be going up to hike around some more this weekend. So I should have more pictures next week to post.

Better get that fishing rig set up Zef.

You know, it's funny, I don't really fish. But I think I will have to start. Not to mention, the land is 1.5 miles from the North Brand of the Susquehanna River. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susquehanna_River) And from what I hear, there is some huge fish to be caught in there. All in time, I suppose.

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »
Great source of free protein... Relaxing... and all the offcuts are beneficial for the garden.

Of course, I am biased, I just love a nice fish dinner from time to time.  ;D

Hey before you go clearing any big sections of the property, see if you can get a book on edible wild plants in the area. You might already have the beginning of a food forest and not even know it!

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 10:37:13 PM »
*pessimist incoming*

In 1972, the remnants of Hurricane Agnes stalled over the New York-Pennsylvania border, dropping as much as 20 inches (50.8 cm) of rain on the hilly lands... The Chesapeake Bay received so much fresh water that it killed much of the marine life.

In 1979, the river was the scene of the most serious nuclear power accident in U.S. history at Three Mile Island southeast of Harrisburg.

In June 2006, significant portions of the river system were affected by the Mid-Atlantic Flood of June 2006, a flood caused by a stalled jet stream-driven storm system. The most significantly affected area in the Susquehanna river basin was in and around the Binghamton, NY region, where flooding exceeded historical records and forced the evacuation of thousands of residents and the destruction of significant amounts of property and infrastructure.

Maybe stilts are on order? Or a dike around your homestead proper?

I guess no matter where you go, something can happen!

I live in a similar situation at my place - hurricanes and flooding or not, it's TOTALLY worth owning your own slice of heaven.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 11:12:18 AM »
*pessimist incoming*

In 1972, the remnants of Hurricane Agnes stalled over the New York-Pennsylvania border, dropping as much as 20 inches (50.8 cm) of rain on the hilly lands... The Chesapeake Bay received so much fresh water that it killed much of the marine life.

In 1979, the river was the scene of the most serious nuclear power accident in U.S. history at Three Mile Island southeast of Harrisburg.

In June 2006, significant portions of the river system were affected by the Mid-Atlantic Flood of June 2006, a flood caused by a stalled jet stream-driven storm system. The most significantly affected area in the Susquehanna river basin was in and around the Binghamton, NY region, where flooding exceeded historical records and forced the evacuation of thousands of residents and the destruction of significant amounts of property and infrastructure.

Maybe stilts are on order? Or a dike around your homestead proper?

I guess no matter where you go, something can happen!

I live in a similar situation at my place - hurricanes and flooding or not, it's TOTALLY worth owning your own slice of heaven.

Thanks for the concern. And flooding is always a concern in my family. My Dad and uncles grew up living along a creek about twice the size of this one. They had tons of fun fishing, swimming, ice skating, etc, etc on the creek. But every few years, they were faced with a flood that to most would be devastating. My grandparents lived there since the late 40s, and my grandmother was not going to leave, and never did. And my uncle continues to live there. But my dad moved to higher land, and insisted that I do the same when searching for land. Where my gram's/uncles house is had 3 feet of water on the first floor in 1972 and probably 8 feet in the front yard. The worst was in January 1996 when a lot of snow melted, caused an ice jam which cause a huge flood when it finally broke loose. They had 5 feet on the first floor and close to 11 feet in the front yard.

Below is a picture from the most recent time they had water in Sept. 2004. There was only a couple feet in the yard, and very little reached the first floor. Note the almost acre garden next to the house (filled with water, just corn stalks visible) that fed their stay-at-home-mom-family of 7 with some to sell.

That said, while some of the land that I purchased would get flooded if high water came, and I'm sure has in the past, the spot where the camper is sitting now is approximately 50 feet in elevation higher than the current stream level. And where we plan to build is another 25-50 feet in elevation above that. And again, this is just the small stream. The Susquehanna River is over 1.5 miles away. And when getting the loan for this land, they did a flood determination to find out if there was any chance of property damage from floods, and none was found. If there was a chance, I would have to pay for insurance while I am paying back the loan. So, considering all of that, I think I am safe where I plan to build.

With that, the closing was Thursday afternoon and recorded on Friday. So we are officially the owners now. So Sunday, the wife and respective parents went up to cook some hotdogs and take a hike around. Didn't do much but just spend some time talking and checking things out. But soon enough will the wife and I be spending the weekend up there camping and working.We did decide that we are going to sell the camper. It is pretty old and we just don't want to mess with it right now. So we are going to try and sell it and put the money towards the principle on the loan.

And speaking of the loan. We did have to borrow money to buy this land. We had some saved up to put down 20%. And since we didn't pay what our high limit was for the land at the auction, we have extra that we are putting towards it each month. And it was funny. At the closing, our lawyer was going through all the paper work and explaining everything. When it came up about the payments, he suggested that we try to find a way to put an extra payment a year towards the principle. And that would cut our loan down by like 2.5 years. And since we knew exactly what we can afford each month, we told him we are going to put an extra $200/mo towards the principle, which cuts the loan down from 20 years to 12. He just looked at us and said, "Oh, wow. Okay. Thats great." I think we shocked him. And I think if we concentrate on it, we can have it paid off in 5-6 years. I'm hoping at least.

We did take some pictures this weekend, but I don't have them here at work to post. So I will try to get to that tonight when I get home. Maybe some pics tomorrow.

Offline woodsman

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 06:37:25 PM »
Congrats on the closing.  Now the real fun starts.  I hope everything continues to go OK for you.  I'll be following your story as it might help me before I jump into something.

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »
zef, it's after the fact now, but still worth doing if it wasn't done, but pay the money for a surveyor to get out and do a pin survey.  i'm assuming one was done.

beautiful property.  from the topo maps, it looks like you have some great variation in the land.  i'd kill for the streams you have.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 02:18:55 PM »
Wonderful place!  Congratulations! ;D

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »
the closing was Thursday afternoon and recorded on Friday. So we are officially the owners now.

AWESOME! Congratulations Zef.