Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

EMERGENCY RADIO find,Kaito KA 390 AM/FM/WX/Shortwave $20 bargain

<< < (2/2)

Carl:

--- Quote from: Alan Georges on September 22, 2017, 06:35:37 PM ---
I wonder how good the AM band reception is?  Is the tuning rubbery? 

--- End quote ---

As I said above ,it received AM and FM in my BOL,though probably sympathetic from my Ham loop feedline. The tuning is nothing special though it acts like AFC is working on all the bands as stations 'pop' in and lock in without the tuner creeping when the knob is released. I am impressed for such a low cost radio that appears to be NEW but may be a second from the factory and AMAZON has a great return policy for 30 days and most electronics works or fails fast...mine works.

FreeLancer:
I picked up a couple of these and agree that it's a good bargain.  While my two samples do a good job with AM/FM/WB, I have been unable to tune anything on SW.  WWV's 10,000 and 15,000 frequencies are supposedly within the SW bands covered by the KA390 but I get nothing on either one despite being able to successfully pull in a usable signal with other bargain radios with analog SW tuning.

As long as you don't need the SW and don't mind hunting around the dial looking for stations, this is a great little radio that is surprisingly compact for a unit that uses D cells.

There is a similar concept that I also like, the Retekess TR605, which is a third of the size of the KA390, runs on an 18650 Li-ion that charges internally via USB, and has an honest to goodness flashlight.  In addition to AM/FM coverage, it also has SW that actually works even with its short antenna.  Sound is very good for its size, it's bare bones simple to operate, and it should be a few dollars cheaper than the Kaito.  It would be nice if it included weather band, but it's very difficult to get everything you want in one radio.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version