Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Multi-band mobiles

<< < (2/2)

Radjoman:
The 10M ability of that radio (8900) can only operate in FM mode. Maybe thats not common knowledge. Dont expect to use AM like on CB, or SSB sideband like some CBs or the lowband ham gear. 10m FM is not useful for long distance comms unless you operate thru a repeater of which there are only a few. I've made contacts on 10 FM but SSB is really where its at on the lowbands.

6M, 2M and 70CM are primarily FM mode bands, thru repeaters but there are lots of repeaters.

You would almost definitely need 2 antennas also; a triband 6,2,70 and a 10m(like a cb whip).

Zombie Axe:
Now that would be a sweet radio if it would do SSB on 10m as well as all the others...

52Degrees:

--- Quote from: Radjoman on February 06, 2009, 12:33:41 PM ---The 10M ability of that radio (8900) can only operate in FM mode. Maybe thats not common knowledge. Dont expect to use AM like on CB, or SSB sideband like some CBs or the lowband ham gear. 10m FM is not useful for long distance comms unless you operate thru a repeater of which there are only a few. I've made contacts on 10 FM but SSB is really where its at on the lowbands.

6M, 2M and 70CM are primarily FM mode bands, thru repeaters but there are lots of repeaters.

You would almost definitely need 2 antennas also; a triband 6,2,70 and a 10m(like a cb whip).

--- End quote ---

That's good to know.  Thank you.

What about a triplexer?  I was looking around and saw some for sale.  Is they just for rx or can you tx through them as well?

My wife has not forbidden me from adding 3-more antennae to my truck, but she did tell me there was a big "G" on my forehead (G for GEEK 8)).  I totally fell for it.  Looked in the mirror and everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version