Author Topic: Multi-band mobiles  (Read 4622 times)

52Degrees

Multi-band mobiles
« on: February 03, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »
Does any one have a multi-band mobile rig?  I'm thinking of one of those by Yaesu or ICOM that do 1.25, 2 and 6 meter.

Do these have multiple antenna leads or do you need an antenna tuner to make them work? 

I'm considering  a tri or quad-band mobile for my next radio, and wondered if I'd have the opportunity to drill more holes in my sheetmetal ;)  I already have one for my existing 2 meter, my cb :-[ and I plan on at least one more for my scanner.

TIA

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Multi-band mobiles
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:40:30 PM »
Those bands are UHF/VHF frequencies that will use the same antenna.  One lead, one antenna.

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:32:47 PM »
Here is an example of a multi-band mobile antenna:

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZCM-SB-14

I have no experience with this antenna, but wanted to give an example for you.  HTH

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
The UHF/VHF antenna outputs are usually the same and I am sure that the 1.25M band uses the same as well... The mobiles that do HF have a seperate antenna connector on them. For example my Icom 706 MKIIG (70cm/2m/6m +HF 10-160M) has two total...

1.25 meter band is dead in my area, but that means us hams that have this band (which many radio manufacturers do not include) will have a band that many other hams don't have gear for... Last hamfest we used our 1.25M HT's to talk simplex on our Kenwood TH-F6A's... we had it to ourselves since most of the others were stuck on 2meters and 70cm...

Enjoy the radio :)

52Degrees

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:48:22 PM »
Right after I posted the question I found that very antenna at Gigaparts.  I was kind of hoping for something like an automatic switch so I can have one dedicated, tuned antenna for each band.  My mobile rig is my 4wd, and all my antennae must be extremely durable.

I just updated my info on the ULS.  I haven't changed my address since the place I lived before last. 

There's a quad band Yeasu here: http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZYS-FT-8900R that I really like.  Does 10 meter, 6 meter, 2 meter and 70 cm all in one radio.  I'll have to pick one of those up pretty soon.  Guess I'll need to get my General too ;)

Offline Radjoman

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »
The 10M ability of that radio (8900) can only operate in FM mode. Maybe thats not common knowledge. Dont expect to use AM like on CB, or SSB sideband like some CBs or the lowband ham gear. 10m FM is not useful for long distance comms unless you operate thru a repeater of which there are only a few. I've made contacts on 10 FM but SSB is really where its at on the lowbands.

6M, 2M and 70CM are primarily FM mode bands, thru repeaters but there are lots of repeaters.

You would almost definitely need 2 antennas also; a triband 6,2,70 and a 10m(like a cb whip).

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »
Now that would be a sweet radio if it would do SSB on 10m as well as all the others...

52Degrees

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »
The 10M ability of that radio (8900) can only operate in FM mode. Maybe thats not common knowledge. Dont expect to use AM like on CB, or SSB sideband like some CBs or the lowband ham gear. 10m FM is not useful for long distance comms unless you operate thru a repeater of which there are only a few. I've made contacts on 10 FM but SSB is really where its at on the lowbands.

6M, 2M and 70CM are primarily FM mode bands, thru repeaters but there are lots of repeaters.

You would almost definitely need 2 antennas also; a triband 6,2,70 and a 10m(like a cb whip).

That's good to know.  Thank you.

What about a triplexer?  I was looking around and saw some for sale.  Is they just for rx or can you tx through them as well?

My wife has not forbidden me from adding 3-more antennae to my truck, but she did tell me there was a big "G" on my forehead (G for GEEK 8)).  I totally fell for it.  Looked in the mirror and everything.