Survivalism & Self Sufficiency Topics > Communications

Air Raid Sirens

(1/2) > >>

ColdHaven:
About half a century ago the US designed air raid sirens as a way to quickly communicate to the public that there was an imminent threat. However, these days they virtually go unused unless you are like me and live in the country rural areas. In the event of an attack do you think they would use these again, and even if they did, would people know what they were for? I know that in my area that they use the air raid sirens in the event of a local fire or if there is a tornado warning or hurricane. Are there any other emergencies they use this for?

I was just thinking the other day when they tested it. I say tested because it was a clear day with nothing going on. In the event of an attack would they even use the air raid sirens anymore?

DeltaEchoVictor:
Good question, would they even need to?  Given the state of technology these days & how quickly advanced warning comes, I'd be more apt to think they'd use the EBS to give details about what was going on & what further action may need to be taken. 

We have about 25 or 30 of those big azz sirens placed at various locations around my county.  They test them all every month, thankfully they don't test them all at the same time.  They use them for tornado's, if you hear one of those around here they're either being tested or there's a tornado close.

ColdHaven:
Well, I have a NOAA radio, and hopefully they would broadcast such things on there, but who knows. I always assumed the air raid sirens were to give notice to people who were not near a rado or TV.

DeltaEchoVictor:

--- Quote from: ColdHaven on December 21, 2008, 11:50:01 PM ---Well, I have a NOAA radio, and hopefully they would broadcast such things on there, but who knows. I always assumed the air raid sirens were to give notice to people who were not near a rado or TV.

--- End quote ---
Could be, I know when I hear one & the weather is a bit dicey I'll usually flip the 2M on & listen to the NOAA stations on it to see what's up.

quietmike:
In my county the local Fema head decided to have all our old air raid sirens refurbished and a few new ones installed. He said they were to be used for warnings of severe weather or other major problems. They test them on a quarterly basis, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up every time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version