Author Topic: Louisiana  (Read 12301 times)

Offline cajunkraut

• Senior Survivalist
    • My Twitter
Re: Louisiana
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2009, 01:47:58 PM »
yes it's called TOPS and it pays for up to 4 years of any in state tuition at a percent. it's going broke even though the trust shouldn't be because of inflation and such.

Waitaminute!! The state subsidizes college degrees (above and beyond the tax money that goes into running state colleges) and then acts surprised when it ends up with too many people than the economy needs having college degrees? Brilliant.

Hotpie

« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2009, 02:00:13 PM »
Hay there, I`m from the free state of  Avoyelles, just found this site, have`t heard any podcasts yet but I will. If my connection is fast enuff.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »
welcome hotpie! great to have yet another Louisianian! you're going to love Jack's podcasts! changed my life. if you need examples on how these podcasts can change your life for the better i recommend the one year anniversary show. not jack talking. a lot of the listeners telling how they have made their lives for the better. (i'm on it as well!) :) LOL again welcome!

Offline Harold J. Forbes

• Prepper
  • Believer in Gresham's Law
    • Harold J. Forbes - Author Page
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
Waitaminute!! The state subsidizes college degrees (above and beyond the tax money that goes into running state colleges) and then acts surprised when it ends up with too many people than the economy needs having college degrees? Brilliant.

LOL! Do you seriously expect anything logical to come out of state government?

I honestly really like the TOPS program (although I think the qualifications are way too lax), but the problem Louisiana has isn't that there are too many college grads but too few significant employers to put them to work. Louisiana needs those businesses and their employees to maintain and grow the tax base, but has largely been ineffective in getting those businesses into the state. Without the employment side of the equation, all Louisiana is doing is educating a significant portion of the future Texas workforce and adding to their tax base. It has happened that way for so many of my friends (and myself, although I was on a scholarship other than TOPS) since TOPS was created: Louisiana student graduates high school, Louisiana student attends college in Louisiana and the state pays for it, student graduates and takes a job in Texas because their aren't any suitable jobs in Louisiana. I tried to find a job in Louisiana after graduating and couldn't, and even as an experienced professional several years later still could find anything. I love Louisiana, but I'm not satisfied working in a job with no future and the salary of a WalMart greeter, so I had to leave.   

LAParatrooper

« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »
This is my first post on any forum, so I'm not sure if this will even work. 

Just wanted to say howdy to you all.  My happy homestead (patio house) is in the great city of Lake Charles.  I wasn't born or raised in Louisiana (married me a Southern Bell) but, it is definitely my kind of place. 

HOWDY FOLKS!!

Offline Wonovan

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Donovan's Political Ramblings
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2009, 09:07:25 PM »
Welcome!

I've got a slightly similar story. I lived here for about 9 years during my younger years and then moved away. Came back for my bride and stayed here in Baton Rouge.

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2009, 10:04:07 PM »
welcome Laiph! glad ur here. yeah Sneauxball.....i work a lot and it's been crazy to get used to. i'll be like this till i'm 65 or the SHTF. either one's fine. i make good money. but i'm still getting adjusted to the new schedule. glad that we're getting more preppers in the area. i'm looking at the Pearl River area myself. probably gonna buy a house with my then wife in 2-3 years. her family is there so it would be convenient once da babies start popping.

Pearl River eh?  watch out for those Bogalusa folk, they're nuts  ;D  I have some family that have a place on the Pearl river....it's beautiful and full of gators.

Possenti2264

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, anyone south of Alexandria has gills and webbed feet.  When are you swamp critters gonna make the evolutionary jump and move up the the good sense NW part of the State?  It gets lonely up here.

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2009, 08:25:58 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, anyone south of Alexandria has gills and webbed feet.  When are you swamp critters gonna make the evolutionary jump and move up the the good sense NW part of the State?  It gets lonely up here.

why would i want to move to mississippi?  ;)

Possenti2264

« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2009, 08:33:54 AM »
why would i want to move to mississippi?  ;)

Oops, I forgot.  You bayou critters are bad with directions.  Just look at the map, follow the green line left (that's the hand that makes an "L" shape when you stick your thumbs out).  Then follow the green line up. 

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »
Oops, I forgot.  You bayou critters are bad with directions.  Just look at the map, follow the green line left (that's the hand that makes an "L" shape when you stick your thumbs out).  Then follow the green line up. 

ouch.  you know, there's a reason it gets lonley up there.  the party is always down here...

Possenti2264

« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2009, 08:54:09 AM »
ouch.  you know, there's a reason it gets lonley up there.  the party is always down here...

The party is down there.  It does get lonely up here.  You guys down south just like a challenge when it comes to prepping.  Bugging out is a contact sport in your part of the world. 

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2009, 09:13:45 AM »
The party is down there.  It does get lonely up here.  You guys down south just like a challenge when it comes to prepping.  Bugging out is a contact sport in your part of the world. 

yes, it takes a "special" person to see a hurricane on the radar dead set towards your house and think "quick, let us gather & drink!"

Possenti2264

« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2009, 09:16:57 AM »
We need to have another hurricane down there so I have a chance to finally meet some TSPers in person. 

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »
well.....i've been thinking we're due for one soon. just when all 10 of us come knocking on your door just be ready! LOL don't worry we'll be bringing our preps!

WORK has been crazy. i've been moved over to the NASA job on Michoud in New Orleans East. i worked thursday friday (double time!) and saturday (time and a half!) so me and alyssa are pretty stoked about that. we pulled out 24 individual 60 foot 750,000 volt cable. it was fun! i'm dropping the weight like crazy :)

glad to see the members of Louisiana growing! very exciting stuff!

Possenti2264

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2009, 07:34:57 AM »
well.....i've been thinking we're due for one soon. just when all 10 of us come knocking on your door just be ready! LOL don't worry we'll be bringing our preps!

I was gonna ask, "What are you gonna bring with you"? 

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2009, 10:43:17 PM »
I've got to say that i really do like the group of peeps in this thread. we may be few but in my opinion, us Louisianian's are a rough hardened group of preppers by nature, and we are extremely generous by nature. You gotta love this state.

Possenti2264

« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2009, 06:31:49 AM »
My brother and I spent a few hours in a deer blind somewhere in the woods in DeSoto Parish on Sunday evening.  The blind was a tower in the middle of a right of way and the sky was beautiful.  The temperature was a mild 60 degrees and the gentle breeze carried whiffs of pine and sage. 

Every time I g out into the woods in Louisiana, I am reminded why I love living here and will probably never leave.  The mosquitoes are bad, but nothing a Thermacell can't cure.

sarahluker

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2009, 08:50:39 AM »
Here in Houston we fight mosquitos too.  The thermocell really works?

Possenti2264

« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »
It really works. 

sarahluker

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »
Yahoo! Thanks.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »
so how is everyone doing? any good stories about that crazy rain we just had?

Offline cajunkraut

• Senior Survivalist
    • My Twitter
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2009, 07:04:41 AM »
so how is everyone doing? any good stories about that crazy rain we just had?

Don't know about the rain, but driving through snow flurries on Friday in Kentwood was pretty surreal. I woke up Saturday in Brookhaven, MS to two inches of beautiful powdery snow on the ground.

Possenti2264

« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2009, 07:13:31 AM »
Don't know about the rain, but driving through snow flurries on Friday in Kentwood was pretty surreal. I woke up Saturday in Brookhaven, MS to two inches of beautiful powdery snow on the ground.

That must have been some crazy snow flurries if you were in Kentwood and woke up in Brookhaven, MS. ;D

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2009, 08:26:07 PM »
yeah it's been pretty cold this week! i've been working outside in a ditch laying down 5 inch pvc pipe all week. it felt like it would snow if it would just have rained some this morning LOL

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2009, 11:48:44 PM »
Hello my fellow southerners. I just wanted to say high over here as well. I pretty much grew up in Baton Rouge, I am now just a bit east of town.  It's nice to be able to see people on here that are close and like minded.  I have picked up most my knowledge from Scouting as a kid. 

The funny part is I think I knew someone on here fairly well a few years back.  Small world. 

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2009, 08:13:49 PM »
WELCOME BLUEEYEDEVIL! I'm stoked we have another LA resident on the forum! YAY!

Offline Wonovan

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Donovan's Political Ramblings
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2009, 06:04:14 AM »
Excellent! Welcome to the forum!

Blueeyedevil and I were in scouts together back in the day. If I knew then what I know now I could have paid a whole lot more attention to the fact that I was learning skills which could save my and my family's lives someday.

Ha! Look at that! They have an Emergency Preparedness merit badge. http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Emergency_Preparedness

Now all they need is one for self sufficiency.

Possenti2264

« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2009, 06:57:34 AM »
Welcome Blueeyedevil.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2009, 07:50:13 AM »
Excellent! Welcome to the forum!

Blueeyedevil and I were in scouts together back in the day. If I knew then what I know now I could have paid a whole lot more attention to the fact that I was learning skills which could save my and my family's lives someday.

Ha! Look at that! They have an Emergency Preparedness merit badge. http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Emergency_Preparedness

Now all they need is one for self sufficiency.

welcome Wonovan! I did get the emergency merit badge and wilderness survival in BSA! LOL. Come to think of it........all the merit badges run into being a responsible self sufficient human. I love BSA